Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Mora Proponents

2»

Comments

• NeGgaPlEaSeNeGgaPlEaSe Member Posts: 5,729
    edited November 2013
    To watch all the people who come into the area for the PSU games is amazing. To watch a school who value wining football and expects nothing less is fun to be around. Hire Mora and I am sure he will bring people like me back to Seattle hotels, food and stadium ticket sales...until then fuck the athletic department
  • TailgaterTailgater Member Posts: 1,389

well, whoever setup firecoachsark.com has Mora first on the list of his candidates. I suspect a great many posters, including me to a little extent, think if he came back it would be like Don James all over again. What people need to do is stop the fantasy thinking and return to reality.

The real question with regards to Mora ever coming back to Montlake, is: would UW administrators looking to hire a new head coach for their football program ever "like Don James all over again" ? I believe not and I think its a good possibility that Mora was never considered as a replacement for Willingham or anybody else simply because of it. The last thing UW administrator's want for Husky Football would be the return of The Dawgfather. Why that is...... is another story.

• NeGgaPlEaSeNeGgaPlEaSe Member Posts: 5,729
    edited November 2013
    The next hire has to make a splash, or you loose the fan base, and people like me who would rather spend my hard earned money supporting other recreational venues. As far as I'm concerned, Mora, possibly Pinkle are the only ones who could do that. I'm not even sure a non DJ descendent will accomplish this simple feat, since the last 5 hires have been a train wreck. Mora would be given 10 years
  • ApostleofGriefApostleofGrief Member Posts: 3,904

The next hire has to make a splash, or you loose the fan base, and people like me who would rather spend my hard earned money supporting other recreational venues. As far as I'm concerned, Mora, possibly Pinkle are the only ones who could do that. I'm not even sure a non DJ descendent will accomplish this simple feat, since the last 5 hires have been a train wreck. Mora would be given 10 years

Mora and Pinkel!
  • To watch all the people who come into the area for the PSU games is amazing. To watch a school who value wining football and expects nothing less is fun to be around. Hire Mora and I am sure he will bring people like me back to Seattle hotels, food and stadium ticket sales...until then fuck the athletic department

I'm all for winning, I don't even give a shit if UW has to cheat to win. However, if our coaches start raping little boys in the shower then I'm OUT!
  • TailgaterTailgater Member Posts: 1,389

Your "train wrecks" perhaps is an exaggeration, but I agree that the last five head coaching hires have not been splashes, more like thuds each missing the pool when it comes to keeping or getting back those 25,000 committed fans that the Husky Football base has lost. Our fanbase has continued to hold steady at somewhere between 45,000 and 50,000 after it hit it's low during 0-12 and Willingham's tenure, which absolutely was a crash and burn.

The stadium renovation with all it's bells and whistles was a success in increasing support only in the areas of new prime seating (Husky Club, Luxury Suites, Heritage Club, etc), but not so much in terms of putting more season ticket buying fannies in the stands. 2013 ticket sales may or may not be disappointing to the AD depending on what he's receiving in total (tickets + donations) revenues from football. Hopefully, pool boy will not be so stupid as to increase pricing again until the product on the field is in far greater demand than it is now.

As for losing more fanbase with the increased ticket and donor pricing we were subject to in 2013, that could happen if the product Sark puts on the field continues to be sloppy, undisciplined, often wimpy and too difficult to watch or get excited about. And if he does not very soon (like in 2014-2015) start challenging with every opportunity the upper half of the Pac-12 (Oregon, Stanford, USC, ASU, UCLA) for conference supremacy, there's probably no hope that attendance will increase. Sark and Woody seem bent on dumbing down our OOC schedule to where it's not likely to attract more than a Big Sky audience, thus Husky Football needs to start posting undefeated or no worse than 2-loss Pac-12 records each season.

Don James showed us what kind of Husky Football we can have and which we have not had since he resigned 20 years ago. I believe most of us who were privileged to experience and enjoy the Dawgfather's brand of Husky Football want it back, not so much in terms of style and scheme for collegiate football has changed in the past two decades. I think we desperately miss the aggressiveness, discipline, and dedication to tough, physical football fundamentals that DJ brought to Husky Stadium with his coaching. And we especially miss the expectation that our Huskies will compete hard and usually successfully against all foes of Washington, not just the FCS donut holes or FBS cupcakes or our fellow dregs of the Pac-12's lower half.

• no_uhno_uh Member Posts: 762
    1) Caliber of coach, 2) likelihood of coming/affordability, and 3) excitement for fans. They are all related obviously, but my argument is that Mora is probably the best candidate when you consider these factors together. Certainly all are debatable and we have to make some educated assumptions, but who would any UW fan be more excited about that would actually consider coming? Given our decade of irrelevancy, most other hires are going to be pretty underwhelming at this point. I frankly doubt that many established coaches would want to take a chance at UW these days. So, what's left?
  • AlCzervikAlCzervik Member Posts: 1,774
    Why are you still a fan of UW after all these changes? Answer that question and you'll have your answer to 1-6 above.