Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Mora Proponents

What I don't understand about you guys who think Mora is headed up here can be narrowed down to these questions:

1) Why would he abandon a very lucrative contract, I think around $2,000,000.00 for about the same salary?

2) Why would he return to the UW when it has a completely different cast of characters than when he played here? Not to mention, he is hardly even going to be in the same facilities. Hardly anything at all remains from his era save the Montlake overpass.

3) Why, after recruiting heavily and seemingly well for UCLA, would he put himself in the position to coach against his recruits?

4) Why, when it is so difficult to be a successful head football coach, after he has found success in a high profile, top notch program, would he abandon it?

5) Why would he return to a metropolitan area in which 99% of football fans remember him exclusively for being a fired, middling Seahawks coach?

6) And the big question is: Does anybody really believe that having played for Don James and going to the UW will result in a better performance than another candidate?

I WANT ANSWERS! I don't want bombs and bullshit. You keep posting Mora this, Mora that, but you are living in fantasyland.

Comments

• CuntWaffleCuntWaffle Member Posts: 22,499
    Should have made a tl;dr disclaimer at the end "He has a CONTRACT!"
  • ApostleofGriefApostleofGrief Member Posts: 3,904

So you're saying he's doing such a good job at UCLA that he'll never come here but we shouldn't want him anyway because he played for James

You're fucking retarded on this issue, dude. IMALOSER territory

well, look, you think like a fan, but it is not connected to what looks like reality.

Queens to queens level six.
  • AZDuckAZDuck Member Posts: 15,381
    Apostle -

I'm with you, actually. I think the Mora-to-UW ship has sailed. You know who played for and got their start in coaching at the University of Oregon?

Jim McKay.

You know who else?

John Robinson.

And...

George Seifert.

And...

Chris Petersen.

I don't think any of those guys think of themselves as Ducks anymore. I think that if Mora makes a name for himself coaching at UCLA, he's gonna be a Bruin FO LIFE.
  • creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 23,004

What I don't understand about you guys who think Mora is headed up here can be narrowed down to these questions:

1) Why would he abandon a very lucrative contract, I think around $2,000,000.00 for about the same salary?

2) Why would he return to the UW when it has a completely different cast of characters than when he played here? Not to mention, he is hardly even going to be in the same facilities. Hardly anything at all remains from his era save the Montlake overpass.

3) Why, after recruiting heavily and seemingly well for UCLA, would he put himself in the position to coach against his recruits?

4) Why, when it is so difficult to be a successful head football coach, after he has found success in a high profile, top notch program, would he abandon it?

5) Why would he return to a metropolitan area in which 99% of football fans remember him exclusively for being a fired, middling Seahawks coach?

6) And the big question is: Does anybody really believe that having played for Don James and going to the UW will result in a better performance than another candidate?

I WANT ANSWERS! I don't want bombs and bullshit. You keep posting Mora this, Mora that, but you are living in fantasyland.

Preamble: your premise is flawed. nobody with any credibility on this board has argued that he's coming. that's a prediction. people who favor Mora just want him, and some of them suppose he wants to be here. very different positions. but i'll play anyway.

1. for less than or equal to the same? maybe he wouldn't. for more? maybe he would.

2. that's irrelevant. why does Michael Irvin and 50 other ex-Hurricanes flash the U and go down there every chance they can get to try and help that program return to relevancy? why do they care? the cast of characters has changed.

3. that's just part of the gig. if that kept people from moving, nobody would ever move.

4. good question. maybe he wouldn't. nobody but him really knows.

5. something tells me Mora doesn't have the same desperate need to be liked as Sark does. something also tells me Mora probably doesn't give two shyts what people on the Sammamish Plateau think about anything.

6. no. they think he can coach, and based on what he's doing with UCLA, it appears they may be right. I was one who thought he'd never be able to stomach the recruiting process and that he'd be shitty at it. it appears I was wrong.

Preamble: your premise is flawed. nobody with any credibility on this board has argued that he's coming. that's a prediction. people who favor Mora just want him, and some of them suppose he wants to be here. very different positions. but i'll play anyway.

1. for less than or equal to the same? maybe he wouldn't. for more? maybe he would.

2. that's irrelevant. why does Michael Irvin and 50 other ex-Hurricanes flash the U and go down there every chance they can get to try and help that program return to relevancy? why do they care? the cast of characters has changed.

3. that's just part of the gig. if that kept people from moving, nobody would ever move.

5. something tells me Mora doesn't have the same desperate need to be liked as Sark does. something also tells me Mora probably doesn't give two shyts what people on the Sammamish Plateau think about anything.

6. no. they think he can coach, and based on what he's doing with UCLA, it appears they may be right. I was one who thought he'd never be able to stomach the recruiting process and that he'd be shitty at it. it appears I was wrong.

who has credibility on this bored?

Most posters here, Huskie fans, see Mora as a savior and secretly hope he will arrive and recreate the Don James era. They aren't interested much in the problems with the idea. They aren't going to come out and say that, but it is not hard to read between the lines.
  • TailgaterTailgater Member Posts: 1,389

So you're saying he's doing such a good job at UCLA that he'll never come here but we shouldn't want him anyway because he played for James

I think he's saying that because Mora is doing such a good job at UCLA, there's no reason to think that he would do a good job at UW, even if he wanted to, which he doesn't. Lots of convolution to pack into six questions, but the interrogator WANTS ANSWERS which, of course, means that he doesn't.
  • digitsdigits Member Posts: 1,479
    Considering that Mora turned down our offer in 2008, coupled with the success he's had at UCLA so far, I don't think he'd come to UW either, unless we at least doubled his salary. Not so much that he needs the money, because I doubt he does after the ATL/SEA buyouts, but that it would give him a legit reason publicly to make the move.

My hunch is Chianti Dan will fuck it up eventually and Mora will end up back in the NFL as a HC someday.

With that being said, I still think Mora is the 1st guy you contact, just to cover your bases. You never know until you ask.

Then, I would offer Tim DeRuyter the job immediately.
    Tailgater said:

I think he's saying that because Mora is doing such a good job at UCLA, there's no reason to think that he would do a good job at UW, even if he wanted to, which he doesn't. Lots of convolution to pack into six questions, but the interrogator WANTS ANSWERS which, of course, means that he doesn't.
    look, you don't have to answer unless you are a Mora proponent. A lot of people here seem to be holding on to the harebrained idea that he would ditch UCLA for the UW, but they never seem to pay much attention to the problems, which I outlined in the form of questions.
  • creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 23,004

Most posters here, Huskie fans, see Mora as a savior and secretly hope he will arrive and recreate the Don James era. They aren't interested much in the problems with the idea. They aren't going to come out and say that, but it is not hard to read between the lines.
    1. I do.

b. They see him as a guy we should have, and perhaps could have (depending on the poster), hired instead of Sarkesian.

I really don't think the average Mora supporter is on the edge of his seat waiting for UW to make an overture to Mora. I think most of them think that ship sailed.

You asked a series of questions that dealt with the obstacles. I don't think there are a whole lot here who posit that there are no obstacles. The obstacles you listed are either not real obstacles or they are obstacles that can be overcome.

one of your points had some weight with me: if he's doing well at UCLA, with all its inherent advantages, why would he leave to take over a project? how much weight can nostalgia carry? is living in Westwood on his budget just as nice, or nicer, than living here? does he really want to be in Seattle over where he is now (more easily answered if he's in some shit hole)?

nobody who isn't very, very close to him knows the answer to those questions. so, of course, what you're going to get is supposition.
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 104,678 Founders Club

Considering that Mora turned down our offer in 2008, coupled with the success he's had at UCLA so far, I don't think he'd come to UW either, unless we at least doubled his salary. Not so much that he needs the money, because I doubt he does after the ATL/SEA buyouts, but that it would give him a legit reason publicly to make the move.

My hunch is Chianti Dan will fuck it up eventually and Mora will end up back in the NFL as a HC someday.

With that being said, I still think Mora is the 1st guy you contact, just to cover your bases. You never know until you ask.

Then, I would offer Tim DeRuyter the job immediately.

Offering a guy a year late after he got 5 million to coach in the NFL is irrelevant to what he might do now, other than showing how retarded the UW admin is, which is the best reason to stay away for any coach. Like Urban Meyer saying Todd Turner was "strange"

No shit he was strange. Nothing much has changed on that.

But no, Mora isn't coming here even if Sark does get fired. Which he probably won't anyway,

Mora is what we call a "doog identifier" The butt hurt over the mere mention of his name 6 years after he undercut the beloved Ty Willingham is impossible for doogs to hide. Doogs started when Mora was coaching the Hawks with their nonsense.

Watching Mora kick their ass Friday was nice. We should all get used to it. The doogs won - Mora will stay at UCLA and we'll stay at 7 wins.

Its a win - win deal
  • greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,309
    The administration will not hire Mora, period. If they did, that means Race was right. No way do they want that to happen.

1. I do.

b. They see him as a guy we should have, and perhaps could have (depending on the poster), hired instead of Sarkesian.

I really don't think the average Mora supporter is on the edge of his seat waiting for UW to make an overture to Mora. I think most of them think that ship sailed.

You asked a series of questions that dealt with the obstacles. I don't think there are a whole lot here who posit that there are no obstacles. The obstacles you listed are either not real obstacles or they are obstacles that can be overcome.

one of your points had some weight with me: if he's doing well at UCLA, with all its inherent advantages, why would he leave to take over a project? how much weight can nostalgia carry? is living in Westwood on his budget just as nice, or nicer, than living here? does he really want to be in Seattle over where he is now (more easily answered if he's in some shit hole)?

nobody who isn't very, very close to him knows the answer to those questions. so, of course, what you're going to get is supposition.

well, whoever setup firecoachsark.com has Mora first on the list of his candidates. I suspect a great many posters, including me to a little extent, think if he came back it would be like Don James all over again. What people need to do is stop the fantasy thinking and return to reality.
  • GladstoneGladstone Member Posts: 16,419
    Bear Bryant had Texas A&M on the top of the college football world. People were incredulous when he announced in 1958 that he was leaving everything at A&M to return to coach at his alma mater, the struggling University of Alabama. When interviewed by the local NBC affiliate, Bryant stated: "I left Texas A&M because my school called me. Mama called, and when Mama calls, then you just have to come running."
    Gladstone said:

Bear Bryant had Texas A&M on the top of the college football world. People were incredulous when he announced in 1958 that he was leaving everything at A&M to return to coach at his alma mater, the struggling University of Alabama. When interviewed by the local NBC affiliate, Bryant stated: "I left Texas A&M because my school called me. Mama called, and when Mama calls, then you just have to come running."

sure, it could happen.... Mora could show up.... anything could happen.... but I think Bryant was at A&M for several years and had established himself well in college football. Mora is still getting going and trying to establish himself in the realm of cfb.
  • TheKobeStopperTheKobeStopper Member Posts: 5,959
    Is this guy for real?
  • sarktasticsarktastic Member Posts: 9,208
    Eddie Vanderdoes sure would have looked good in Purple.

• NeGgaPlEaSeNeGgaPlEaSe Member Posts: 5,729
    DNC you are so correct. I left in 2001, now I have more fun tailgate parties at PSU. I was on the ESPN road trip a few weeks ago for the PSU Michigan game. I am getting club seats through my job. I used t fly home or umm Seattle for 2-3 games a year. Since Willingham, I have decreased that, and I have no desir to see the fucktard bowl or the lemon party bowl