Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Comments

• Options
    SFGbobSFGbob Member Posts: 31,920
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    Could someone please tell just what exactly Kap is protesting against.
  • Options
    TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    edited September 2018
    SFGbob said:

Welcome to August 27, 2016:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000691077/article/colin-kaepernick-explains-why-he-sat-during-national-anthem

"I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses black people and people of color," Kaepernick told NFL Media in an exclusive interview after the game. "To me, this is bigger than football and it would be selfish on my part to look the other way. There are bodies in the street and people getting paid leave and getting away with murder."
  • Options
    HillsboroDuckHillsboroDuck Member Posts: 9,186
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    SFGbob said:

"I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses black people and people of color," Kaepernick told NFL Media in an exclusive interview after the game. "To me, this is bigger than football and it would be selfish on my part to look the other way. There are bodies in the street and people getting paid leave and getting away with murder."
  • Options
    Standard Supporter
    How does the country oppress black people? I know the vague and flimsy argument he is trying to make, I just want to deal in some concrete examples.
  • Options
    SFGbob said:

How does the country oppress black people? I know the vague and flimsy argument he is trying to make, I just want to deal in some concrete examples.

Shooting of Philando Castile

On July 6, 2016, Philando Castile,[a] a 32-year-old black American, was pulled over while driving in Falcon Heights, Minnesota, and killed by Jeronimo Yanez, a St. Anthony, Minnesota police officer. Castile had been driving a car at 9:00 pm with his girlfriend, Diamond Reynolds, and her four-year-old daughter when he was pulled over by Yanez and another officer in a suburb of Saint Paul, MN.[3][4] After being asked for his license and registration, Castile had told Officer Yanez that he had a firearm, to which Yanez replied "Don't reach for it then", and Castile said "I'm, I, I was reaching for..." Yanez said "Don't pull it out", Castile replied "I'm not pulling it out", and Reynolds said "He's not..." Yanez repeated "Don't pull it out"[5] and then shot at Castile seven times as he reached for his driver's license.[6]

The shooting achieved a high profile[7] from a live-streamed video on Facebook made by Reynolds in the immediate aftermath of the shooting.[8] In the video, she is talking with Yanez while a mortally injured Castile lies slumped over, moaning slightly and his left arm and side bloody.[9] The Hennepin County Medical Examiner's office said that Castile had sustained multiple gunshot wounds and reported that he died at 9:37 p.m. in the Hennepin County Medical Center, about 20 minutes after being shot.[10]

On November 16, 2016, John Choi, the Ramsey County Attorney, announced that Yanez was being charged with three felonies: one count of second-degree manslaughter and two counts of dangerous discharge of a firearm. Choi said, "I would submit that no reasonable officer knowing, seeing, and hearing what Officer Yanez did at the time would have used deadly force under these circumstances."[11] Yanez was acquitted of all charges on June 16, 2017.[12][13] The same day, the City of Saint Anthony fired Yanez.[14]

Victim
    Philando Divall Castile (July 16, 1983 – July 6, 2016) was 32 years old at the time of his death.[15][16] Castile was born in St. Louis, Missouri.[17] He graduated from Saint Paul Central High School in 2001 and worked for the Saint Paul Public School District from 2002 until his death. Castile began as a nutrition services assistant at Chelsea Heights Elementary School and Arlington High School (now Washington Technology Magnet School). He was promoted to nutrition services supervisor at J. J. Hill Montessori Magnet School, in August 2014.[8][15] Prior to the shooting, Castile had been stopped by the police 52 times for traffic violations, some of which resulted in his arrest.[18][19]

Police
    Jeronimo Yanez was identified by the Minnesota Bureau of Criminal Apprehension as the officer who shot Castile. The other officer involved in the traffic stop was identified as Joseph Kauser,[20] who was described as Yanez's partner.[21] Both officers had been with the St. Anthony Police Department for four years at the time of the shooting,[21] and were longtime friends who had graduated together from the Minnesota State University, Mankato, police academy in 2010.[22]

Yanez, of South St. Paul, was 28 years old at the time of the shooting.[23][24]

The St. Anthony Police Department has 23 officers. Eight officers are funded through policing contracts with the cities of Lauderdale and Falcon Heights.[21] In a press briefing at the scene, St. Anthony's interim police chief Jon Mangseth said that the shooting was the first officer-involved shooting that the department had experienced in at least thirty years.[3][8]

Incident

Shoes and a gun on the ground outside Philando Castile's blood-stained car as Minnesota Bureau of Criminal Apprehension (BCA) investigators take photographs of the scene
    External video
    Diamond Reynolds' Facebook Live video immediately after the shooting (10:29), Heavy.com
    Philando Castile, Diamond Reynolds and a Nightmare Caught on Video (composite of several videos, 4:49), New York Times
    Castile was pulled over as part of a traffic stop[25] by Yanez and Kauser in Falcon Heights, Minnesota, a suburb of Saint Paul.[6][8][21] Castile and Reynolds were returning from shopping at a grocery store; earlier that evening, Castile had gone for a haircut, eaten dinner with his sister, and apparently picked up his girlfriend from his apartment in St. Paul.[26]

A St. Anthony police officer patrolling Larpenteur Avenue radioed to a nearby squad that he planned to pull over the car and check the IDs of the driver and passenger, saying, "The two occupants just look like people that were involved in a robbery. The driver looks more like one of our suspects, just because of the wide-set nose. I couldn't get a good look at the passenger."[27][28] At 9:04 p.m. CDT, the officer told a nearby officer that he would wait for him to make the stop.[27]

The stop took place on Larpenteur Avenue at Fry Street,[3] just outside the Minnesota state fairgrounds,[29] at about 9:05 p.m. CDT.[30] Riding in a [27] white 1997 Oldsmobile Eighty Eight LS[25][31] with Castile were his girlfriend, Diamond Reynolds, and her four-year-old daughter.[3][4] Castile was the driver, Reynolds was the front-seat passenger, and the child was in the back seat.[9] "According to investigators, Yanez approached the car from the driver's side, while Kauser approached it from the passenger side."[30]

The police dashcam video[32] shows that 40 seconds elapsed between when Yanez first started talking to Castile through the car window and when Yanez began shooting at him. According to the dashcam, after Yanez asked for Castile's driver's license and proof of insurance, Castile gave him his proof of insurance card, which Yanez appeared to glance at and tuck in his outer pocket. Castile then calmly informed Yanez: "Sir, I have to tell you that I do have a firearm on me."[33] Quoting the Star Tribune description of the next 13 seconds of the video:

Before Castile completed the sentence, Yanez interrupted and calmly replied, "OK," and placed his right hand on the holster of his own holstered weapon. Yanez said, "Okay, don't reach for it, then ... don't pull it out." Castile responded, "I'm not pulling it out," and Reynolds also said, "He's not pulling it out." Yanez repeated, raising his voice, "Don't pull it out!" as he quickly pulled his own gun with his right hand and reached inside the driver's window with his left hand. Reynolds screamed, "No!" Yanez removed his left arm from the car and fired seven shots in the direction of Castile in rapid succession. Reynolds yelled, "You just killed my boyfriend!" Castile moaned and said, "I wasn't reaching for it." Reynolds loudly said, "He wasn't reaching for it." Before she completed her sentence, Yanez again screamed, "Don't pull it out!" Reynolds responded, "He wasn't." Yanez yelled, "Don't move! Fuck!"[33]

Of the seven shots fired by Yanez at point blank range, five hit Castile and two of those hit and pierced his heart.[34]

The events that occurred immediately following the shooting were streamed live in a 10-minute video by Reynolds via Facebook.[9] The recording appears to begin seconds after Castile was shot, just after 9:00 p.m. CDT.[8] The video depicts Castile slumped over, moaning and moving slightly, with a bloodied left arm and side.[9] In the video, Reynolds is speaking with Yanez and explaining what happened. Reynolds stated on the video that Yanez "asked him for license and registration. He told him that it was in his wallet, but he had a pistol on him because he's licensed to carry." Castile did have a license to carry a gun.[35] Reynolds further narrated that the officer said, "Don't move" and as Castile was putting his hands back up, the officer shot him in the arm four or five times. Reynolds told the officer, "You shot four bullets into him, sir. He was just getting his license and registration, sir."[3][6] Reynolds also said "Please don't tell me he's dead," while Yanez exclaims: "I told him not to reach for it! I told him to get his hand open!"[27]

At one point in the video footage, an officer orders Reynolds to get on her knees and the sound of Reynolds being handcuffed can be heard. Reynolds' phone falls onto the ground but continues recording, and an officer periodically yells, "Fuck!"[36] Video from the squad car of Joseph Kauser (where Reynolds and her daughter were put after Reynolds was handcuffed), shows Reynolds' daughter telling her, "Mom, please stop cussing and screaming 'cause I don't want you to get shooted".[37]

The day following the shooting, Reynolds said that police had "treated me like a criminal ... like it was my fault."[25] By the afternoon following Castile's death, the video had been viewed nearly 2.5 million times on Facebook.[38] Reynolds, who was detained with Castile during the shooting around 9:00 p.m. CDT, was taken into custody and questioned at a police station then released the following morning around 5:00 a.m.[39][40]

According to police and emergency audio of the aftermath obtained by the Star Tribune, at 9:06 p.m., Kauser called in the shooting, reporting: "Shots fired. Larpenteur and Fry." The dispatcher answered: "Copy. You just heard it?" Yanez then screamed: "Code three!" in a tone of voice the newspaper termed "audibly panicked." Many officers then rushed to the scene. One officer reports, "One adult female being taken into custody. Driver at gunpoint. Juvenile female, child, is with [another officer]. We need a couple other squads to block off intersections." Another officer called in, "All officers are good. One suspect that needs medics."[27]

Reynolds said that officers had failed to check Castile for a pulse or to see if he was breathing for several minutes after the shooting, and instead comforted the officer who fired the shots.[25]
  • Options
    More to the point of this bored, I'm glad the school I follow who has a difficult time attracting talented young African Americans to come play for them cut ties with this company. Just in time, I say.
  • Options
    Standard Supporter

So the country did that? And as I recall, wasn't the cop in that shooting Hispanic? Can I now claim that the country oppresses white people? https://youtube.com/watch?v=7Ooa7wOKHhg

• Options
    TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary

More to the point of this bored, I'm glad the school I follow who has a difficult time attracting talented young African Americans to come play for them cut ties with this company. Just in time, I say.

I think many members of our bored are happy with the change.

• Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,327
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Plenty of white folks have an issue with the police. It's not racist to defend the flag.

You can hold both positions

Dividing the country in another you're a racist issue isn't getting the message out

Anthem protest

Nike protest

White people protest

Anything to avoid the actual uncomfortable issue and dumb it down for 149 characters

I rose my fist during the anthem in the 70's. Big deal
  • Options
    SFGbob said:

So the country did that? And as I recall, wasn't the cop in that shooting Hispanic? Can I now claim that the country oppresses white people? https://youtube.com/watch?v=7Ooa7wOKHhg

PeopleMuncher wants his intentional obtusity back.
  • Options
    Standard Supporter

SFGbob said:

How is that obtuse? I asked for a concrete example of how the country oppresses black people and you provide me with a story about a Hispanic cop who shoots a black guy. Okay, I provided you with a video that shows a white cop shooting a white guy. So using your standard of evidence, can I now say that white people are oppressed? I agree that there are issues with policing in this country but it's not national policy and I fail to see how it equals oppression of black people.
  • Options
    Standard Supporter

I still can't get over Nike's hypocrisy

We stand with Kaepernick, but yet our merchandise is still made off the backs of minority children in third world country sweatshops. You can't have it both ways.

First of all, I'm not sure about Nike using child labor but if those jobs weren't available to the people living in those countries would they be better or worse off? Are there better, high paying jobs available in those countries?
  • Options
    BearsWiinBearsWiin Member Posts: 4,947
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

SFGbob said:

Christ, I remember that fool. Pretty sure he's the one who told me before the 2004 season that, because Cal hadn't had three straight winning seasons since 1950, it couldn't have a winning season in 2004.
  • Options
    2001400ex2001400ex Member Posts: 29,457

We stand with Kaepernick, but yet our merchandise is still made off the backs of minority children in third world country sweatshops. You can't have it both ways.

They aren't minorities in their country.
  • Options
    Standard Supporter

You don't really see the pictures of the sweatshops unless you google yourself. But standing with Kaepernick will be spread all over Facebook and Twitter for some serious internet points.

Nike just needs to dump a bucket of ice water over it's head to put the cherry on top.
    I don't see any Nike sweat shops using child labor. Can you provide a link?
  • Options
    USMChawkUSMChawk Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,796
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    A Harvard professor has already disproved the narrative that blacks are shot more often than other races.

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2016/jul/11/no-racial-bias-police-shootings-study-harvard-prof/

Now, they are incarcerated at a greater rate and that’s something we could discuss but, after discussing the poverty levels, we would have to discuss personal accountability and that never seems to be something people want to talk about.
  • Options
    BennyBeaverBennyBeaver Member Posts: 13,333
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes

Are the Chinese in China that make Nike shoes minorities? JFC. Criticial thinking failure.

edit: just noticed Hondo made this valid point already and some mouthbreather WTF'd his post. Tug's gonna Tug I guess.