Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

WW2 question

BaldwinIVBaldwinIV Member Posts: 797
Loved Yella's thread but didn't like seeing it hijacked so I'll create separate one. I'm a history buff but more medieval (hence my moniker here) and my WW2 is limited.

The Western powers declare war on Germany because under their pact they agree to declare war on anyone who attacks Poland.

OK got it.

But....The USSR also attacked Poland several weeks later, why then did not Britain and France declare war on the USSR as well? Same offense right?

It's like they knew the USSR was up to no good (and reverted to hating them immediately after V-E day), why let their warcrimes slide until late '45?

Comments

• YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 34,943 Founders Club

The concept of triangulation has in large part been forgotten. During the Cold War the USSR, China, and the US played a game of 2 on 1 that was ever changing so that none of them would dominate the other two. Looking at a looming world war the decision had to be made. I don't think anyone thought that Hitler would not turn on Russia despite the treaty they signed. LIPO and have the USSR to push from the edge while the Brits and Yanks provided heat up the middle.

Stalin was smart enough to ask for Eastern Europe at Yalta while the war was still going on and our State Dept. was all to happy to oblige knowing we would have Western Europe as a shield and most of them were commie symps anyway according to my grandma.

As Yellow's article points out England couldn't defend shit anyway at the time. Time was the precious commodity that allowed FDR to fake Pearl Harbor to get us? in the war

Hindsight being 20/20, Nixon should never have gone to China. We'd be better off of they were all still peasants, riding bikes everywhere.
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 104,474 Founders Club

The concept of triangulation has in large part been forgotten. During the Cold War the USSR, China, and the US played a game of 2 on 1 that was ever changing so that none of them would dominate the other two. Looking at a looming world war the decision had to be made. I don't think anyone thought that Hitler would not turn on Russia despite the treaty they signed. LIPO and have the USSR to push from the edge while the Brits and Yanks provided heat up the middle.

Stalin was smart enough to ask for Eastern Europe at Yalta while the war was still going on and our State Dept. was all to happy to oblige knowing we would have Western Europe as a shield and most of them were commie symps anyway according to my grandma.

As Yellow's article points out England couldn't defend shit anyway at the time. Time was the precious commodity that allowed FDR to fake Pearl Harbor to get us? in the war

Hindsight being 20/20, Nixon should never have gone to China. We'd be better off of they were all still peasants, riding bikes everywhere.
    I'll have to check with @iDawg on that. We had a podcast on it but I don't remember why that was the analogy

Nixon also met the Russkies as did RR
  • BaldwinIVBaldwinIV Member Posts: 797
    good replies

i thought triangulation theory was strictly a cold war thing, not sure the west had that foresight in 1939

as for the secret protocol, that's pretty crazy. trying to read up more on that and find other sources. pretty fucked up if true.
  • greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,309
    I think the western powers realized they couldn’t battle both Germany and Russia. It’s speculation, but I’m guessing they let Russia slide so they could possibly have them as an ally later on.
    Thread-jacking is a thing? Why I never
  • GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,485 Standard Supporter
    Countries had been shitting on #MyPoles for a long tim. The pre-WW2 borders had only been in place a few decades, correct?
  • DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 62,371 Founders Club
    BaldwinIV said:

Loved Yella's thread but didn't like seeing it hijacked so I'll create separate one. I'm a history buff but more medieval (hence my moniker here) and my WW2 is limited.

The Western powers declare war on Germany because under their pact they agree to declare war on anyone who attacks Poland.

OK got it.

But....The USSR also attacked Poland several weeks later, why then did not Britain and France declare war on the USSR as well? Same offense right?

It's like they knew the USSR was up to no good (and reverted to hating them immediately after V-E day), why let their warcrimes slide until late '45?

I always thought your moniker had something to do with Beau Baldwin, and I assumed you were an EWU grad.

Countries had been shitting on #MyPoles for a long tim. The pre-WW2 borders had only been in place a few decades, correct?

Correct. The Soviets and the Poles also fought a pretty nasty little war right after WW1.

#metooinlaw

I married a pollack.
  • LebamDawgLebamDawg Member Posts: 8,664 Standard Supporter
    Something most people miss about WW2 was the Poland being overrun by the germans then the russian the people getting screwed; thus the rise of Hannibal Lecter.
  • SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,357 Founders Club

#metooinlaw

I married a pollack.
    They have nice boobs I hear.
  • HippopeteamusHippopeteamus Member Posts: 1,958
    It is one of the very odd aspects of world war 2 that the UK and French went to war over Poland's independence, only to have the war end with Poland being controlled by another country. I believe the reason said earlier is correct, that the allies did not want to fight Germany and Russia. Listening to ww2 radio from the time, one of the concerns among the general public was that Hitler would ultimate make an alliance with Stalin (although I'm not sure how much of a concern that was for people in power). A similar problem faced the allies after the USSR invaded Finland. The problem was a practical one. People also forget that the soviet union helped Hitler immensely, sending raw goods the Germany right up until the Germans invade (I believe the trains stopped the day of the invasion). So despite all the help the soviets played in beating Hitler, they also deserve quite a bit of blame.
  • PurpleJPurpleJ Member Posts: 36,917 Founders Club
    Because the western powers were pussies and only true Aryans had the courage to fight the communist scourge.
  • ThomasFremontThomasFremont Member Posts: 13,325
    PurpleJ said:

Because the western powers were pussies and only true Aryans had the courage to fight the communist scourge.

The communist scourge won. Rather easily.
  • PurpleJPurpleJ Member Posts: 36,917 Founders Club

PurpleJ said:

The communist scourge won. Rather easily.
    They just need a little help from their frens...