Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Discus

13»

Comments

• Options
    haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,494
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

Kill all yourselves. Giant aids infested kool-aid style. Take this shit to the Academis Smak talk board please.

Couple of faggpts here were interested in where I went to school (big mystery there) is how this happened. My aporogies
  • Options
    haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,494
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    And yes race is right construction management majors are huge fucking retards
  • Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,743
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic

haie said:

haie said:

haie said:

haie said:

You and the Apostle went to Central together, substitute the beavs for the true school of Washington and you've got your PNW 4.

UW class of 2010. I have a right to be here. All the Lane CC grads have moved on to the Timbers. Maybe you should too.
    UW Bothell
    Makes zero sense seeing as I'm from Camas but OK!
    haie said:

haie said:

You and the Apostle went to Central together, substitute the beavs for the true school of Washington and you've got your PNW 4.

UW class of 2010. I have a right to be here. All the Lane CC grads have moved on to the Timbers. Maybe you should too.
    UW Bothell
    Anybody who goes to those little branch schools like UW Bothell is not a proper elitist in my book. You probably went there or UW Tacoma. That's the way I remember it. A glorified community college.
    Seattle campus. Spent most of my time in odegaard and denny. Papa Gates was the speaker at our graduation.

Central is a glorified high school. HtH
    To be fair, so was UW

#WhyILeft

Pretty much anyone could get into UW as recent as the early 2000's, yes. It's an education mall to be sure.

Still, what does that say about WAzzu Oregon and BennyU?
    It says that there are only small groups of schools, very limited in number and accessibility, that actually offer undergraduates something different and, arguably at least, better. It also says that the educational experiences at most large state schools are interchangeable for 99% of the kids attending.

My kids' HS cohorts who attended UW are generally chasing nursing or accounting degrees. The ones who wash out of those get Public Health degrees. The kids chasing those at any other P12 school are going to wind up in exactly the same place. Nobody cares where an accountant or a nurse went to school.

And the kids majoring in Classics, Philosophy or Art History at Stanford, Yale, Pomona, Amherst, Vassar or Wellesley, and their ilk, are going to be recruited on campus to work at consulting and other 'think tank' firms that UW kids struggle to get to every bit as much as the Oregon, WSU and ASU kids do.

One area where UW flexes muscle at an elite level is Comp. Sci., which to me is really glorified trade school. A lot of $$ went into it at UW for obvious reasons, a small number of kids get to take advantage of it, and more and more it's becoming a commodity skill that you can learn through a variety of other means. One day AI will overrun it in any event. But people flocking to get into that department have helped UW's selectivity numbers. It bears little meaning or effect on the overall student population, which looks and feels a lot like the one with which I went to school.

Wow didn’t think that Duck refugee was the place for all the UW education hawt talk, but let me put my 2 cents in. UW accounting program is legit in getting kids jobs with the all the public accounting programs, that shiet does matter when comes to to getting placed
    We're normally on the same page; on this one you are dead wrong. The big four accounting firms recruit accounting kids from all schools with accounting departments. It's one of the areas of professional life that really does not place a lot of, or really any, emphasis on academic pedigree. Whether you studied accounting at Oregon, Oregon State, Washington State, Seattle Pacific, Seattle University, Zaga, Western, or the University of Washington… It simply does not matter. I don't make many categorical claims. I'm making one on this one. To suggest anything different than what I've said on this is to misinform. Fortunately, I don't think this forum is the place where high school kids trying to figure out where they're going to college spent a lot of time lurking.

Moreover, what I've said tends to be true all over the country.

Consider, too, that a substantial majority of elite academic institutions don't have undergrad she business schools. You can't major in accounting at any high end liberal arts college, Stanford, the Ivy League, Caltech, MIT, Rice, Duke, Georgetown, etc. You study Econ or you study math. Both are more rigorous than getting an undergraduate degree in accounting. Accounting is a little more vocational than the academic purists prefer.

So, again, equating any undergraduate accounting program with academic prestige is a little nonsensical.
  • Options
    Scratch that. Wrong about GT. They seem to have an undergrad biz school. So does Mich and Cal. There are exceptions but generally speaking, undergraduate business is not something you find at top end academic institutions. There is an assumption at those places that, if you want that kind of career, you'll go get your MBA someplace.
  • Options
    oregonblitzkriegoregonblitzkrieg Member Posts: 15,288
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    edited September 2018
    Ivy league is all about who you know, what color your skin is, and/or if you've got the money to bribe your way in. Qualifications are secondary. If that weren't the case, how would a retard like George W. Bush ever get in to Yale? How would the Clinton whore get into Stanford? Chelsea is no fucking genius. If the public university education system is shit (which it is) Ivy league is shit with perfume. If you're an establishment buttfuck, a cultural 'icon' or the semen of a billionaire Saudi prince, you're in. Makes it easier to get a cush jerb once you graduate, but it certainly doesn't make you any smarter than a UO, a UW or a WSU grad.
  • Options
    edited September 2018

Ivy league is all about who you know, what color your skin is, and/or if you've got the money to bribe your way in. Qualifications are secondary. If that weren't the case, how would a retard like George W. Bush ever get in to Yale? How would the Clinton whore get into Stanford? Chelsea is no fucking genius. If the public university education system is shit (which it is) Ivy league is shit with perfume. If you're an establishment buttfuck, a cultural 'icon' or the semen of a billionaire Saudi prince, you're in. Makes it easier to get a cush jerb once you graduate, but it certainly doesn't make you any smarter than a UO, a UW or a WSU grad.

It was true, once upon a time, that elite schools were as much about your demonstrated ability to pay as your intellect. Of course, if you go back far enuff, those two tended to correlate, because the rich tended to be disproportionately well prepared for college as compared to the riff raff. Over time, that has changed, and as we know, intelligence knows no social, national or other human-made boundaries. It's evenly distributed in the gene pool. My ls faculty advisor went to ls at Furd. Remember him telling me most of the application was based on proving you wouldn't stiff them on the tuition bill. But then again, it was also the days of the Paper Chase - "Take a look to your left and to your right. Two of you won't be here in 3 years." Sure, Bush got in because of family and money. So did his Dad, who was a star everything at Yale btw.

Now, it is a different story for the most part. These schools have so much money, and there are so many alumni who have more to give, that they don't really have to admit the boobs anymore. Sure, a Firestone applying to Princeton is going to have a leg up on you and me. But Princeton won't admit a retard. They'll find a way to deal with that nicely. Generally speaking, these kids are educated at the top boarding schools in the country, and those places don't tend to produce dummies. They tend to be better educated, but more so, than we were coming out of HS.

The Ivy League has become more hungry for athletes. Elite D3 is a harder, because there Admissions still really runs the show and coaches answer to them, but it still can be a big boost. The profile for the school one of my kids attends this year was something like close to 13,000 applications for 600 or so spots. Admit rate was south of 15%, median ACT of admits was 33 (down from 34 last year) and every kid there took very hard coursework all through school or they wouldn't have stood a chance. She had the goods, but as her coach put it, "1,000s of kids who have the goods apply here and get told no. If she's on my list, there's no guarantee, but it makes it much more likely." And that's how it played out. This year, the poor fucker lost 50% of his recruiting class to admissions. They really fucked him and killed half his list, which only gets put together after a pre-read in the first place. That's how competitive it is.

And you're wrong. Chelsea is fucking brilliant. You can hate her mom and dad all you want, but to call them stupid is stupid. Everybody knows they're bright, especially Hillary. At least in the academic sense of being bright. Not surprising that their kid is bright too. And an education at Sidwell Friends didn't make her less bright; it made her more bright.
  • Options
    FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes
    edited September 2018

haie said:

haie said:

haie said:

haie said:

UW Bothell
    haie said:

haie said:

UW Bothell
    Anybody who goes to those little branch schools like UW Bothell is not a proper elitist in my book. You probably went there or UW Tacoma. That's the way I remember it. A glorified community college.
    Seattle campus. Spent most of my time in odegaard and denny. Papa Gates was the speaker at our graduation.

To be fair, so was UW

#WhyILeft

Pretty much anyone could get into UW as recent as the early 2000's, yes. It's an education mall to be sure.

It says that there are only small groups of schools, very limited in number and accessibility, that actually offer undergraduates something different and, arguably at least, better. It also says that the educational experiences at most large state schools are interchangeable for 99% of the kids attending.

My kids' HS cohorts who attended UW are generally chasing nursing or accounting degrees. The ones who wash out of those get Public Health degrees. The kids chasing those at any other P12 school are going to wind up in exactly the same place. Nobody cares where an accountant or a nurse went to school.

And the kids majoring in Classics, Philosophy or Art History at Stanford, Yale, Pomona, Amherst, Vassar or Wellesley, and their ilk, are going to be recruited on campus to work at consulting and other 'think tank' firms that UW kids struggle to get to every bit as much as the Oregon, WSU and ASU kids do.

One area where UW flexes muscle at an elite level is Comp. Sci., which to me is really glorified trade school. A lot of $$ went into it at UW for obvious reasons, a small number of kids get to take advantage of it, and more and more it's becoming a commodity skill that you can learn through a variety of other means. One day AI will overrun it in any event. But people flocking to get into that department have helped UW's selectivity numbers. It bears little meaning or effect on the overall student population, which looks and feels a lot like the one with which I went to school.

Wow didn’t think that Duck refugee was the place for all the UW education hawt talk, but let me put my 2 cents in. UW accounting program is legit in getting kids jobs with the all the public accounting programs, that shiet does matter when comes to to getting placed
    We're normally on the same page; on this one you are dead wrong. The big four accounting firms recruit accounting kids from all schools with accounting departments. It's one of the areas of professional life that really does not place a lot of, or really any, emphasis on academic pedigree. Whether you studied accounting at Oregon, Oregon State, Washington State, Seattle Pacific, Seattle University, Zaga, Western, or the University of Washington… It simply does not matter. I don't make many categorical claims. I'm making one on this one. To suggest anything different than what I've said on this is to misinform. Fortunately, I don't think this forum is the place where high school kids trying to figure out where they're going to college spent a lot of time lurking.

Consider, too, that a substantial majority of elite academic institutions don't have undergrad she business schools. You can't major in accounting at any high end liberal arts college, Stanford, the Ivy League, Caltech, MIT, Rice, Duke, Georgetown, etc. You study Econ or you study math. Both are more rigorous than getting an undergraduate degree in accounting. Accounting is a little more vocational than the academic purists prefer.

So, again, equating any undergraduate accounting program with academic prestige is a little nonsensical.
    I am talking about placement, not the quality of the education. UW kids get more looks than a typical WSU or Seattle U. I do think bunch a UW accounting students are retarded
  • Options
    AZDuckAZDuck Member Posts: 15,381
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Answer
    Money matters because money pays for Andover, Sidwell Friends, etc. If you go to one of those and have above average branes, you have a better shot at a high end school. Top half of Andover is competitive for Ivy admissions, you pretty much have to be a valedictorian at a public high school for the same shot.
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    AZDuck said:

Money matters because money pays for Andover, Sidwell Friends, etc. If you go to one of those and have above average branes, you have a better shot at a high end school. Top half of Andover is competitive for Ivy admissions, you pretty much have to be a valedictorian at a public high school for the same shot.

Yes I agree. But there are other ways. For example, my kids took advantage of IB. Most ad coms, particularly those in the east, view IB very very very favorably. The ad, Amherst actually told my kid, "you know, this is the hardest thing you can do in high school." Plus, you can get a good test scores. But, yes, being at a high-end boarding school in New England is definitely a leg up. But then again, so is the competition. Getting into those schools is not just a function of money; it is also a function of being admitted. So the talent pool at those schools is a lot deeper than it is at XYZ High.

The cohort of kids in the IB Diploma group was very accomplished. And a good chunk of those kids went off to really delete schools. But the rest of the high school? Jesus H Christ. It is a small wonder that this country can even function. There are just a lot of stupid people out there. And mind you, this is a high school on the east side of the lake where it's not exactly cheap to live. It's not exactly in the ghetto.
  • Options

haie said:

haie said:

haie said:

haie said:

UW Bothell
    haie said:

haie said:

UW Bothell

To be fair, so was UW

#WhyILeft

I am talking about placement, not the quality of the education. UW kids get more looks than a typical WSU or Seattle U. I do think bunch a UW accounting students are retarded
    I hear what you're saying. Maybe, on the margin, the very margin, that may be true. But if you attend any school with an accredited accounting program and get decent grades, you will have a shot at the big four. Remember, we are not talking about the very elite kids coming out of academia. We are talking about accounting. The vast majority of these kids will be sheep heading off to the audit side. The firms need bodies.
  • Options
    FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes

haie said:

haie said:

haie said:

haie said:

UW Bothell
    haie said:

haie said:

UW Bothell

To be fair, so was UW

#WhyILeft

I hear what you're saying. Maybe, on the margin, the very margin, that may be true. But if you attend any school with an accredited accounting program and get decent grades, you will have a shot at the big four. Remember, we are not talking about the very elite kids coming out of academia. We are talking about accounting. The vast majority of these kids will be sheep heading off to the audit side. The firms need bodies.
    big 4 or any public accounting job is fucking horrible, hours are long and fucking stupid work. pay is not great either.
  • Options
    Mosster47Mosster47 Member Posts: 6,246
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment

So we are all Ivy Leaguers?