Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Final couch Sale

2»

Comments

• SoutherndawgSoutherndawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,226
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Founders Club

Best damn singer that ever lived, IMA

The best voices I've ever heard are Sinatra and Sam Cooke. Bet rock n roll voice is probably Robert Plant.
    Hard to say who the greatest female vocalist is of the post WWII era in popular music. If it's not Aretha, she's still Top 5- 10 at the bare minimum. The other thing she had going for her was backing musicians who were the best in the bidness- i.e., Muscle Shoals, ALABAMA.

Sam Cooke, BTW, was probably the best male soul/ R&B singer of all time. Also one of the more chinteresting / sketchy couch sales in the history of music.
    Agree on all counts.
  • YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,796
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Listening to the MoFi reissue now drinking some Buffalo Trace. Aretha basically crushes any contemporary female singer including people like Adele.
  • BasemanBaseman Member Posts: 12,365
    edited August 2018

Best damn singer that ever lived, IMA

The best voices I've ever heard are Sinatra and Sam Cooke. Bet rock n roll voice is probably Robert Plant.
    Hard to say who the greatest female vocalist is of the post WWII era in popular music. If it's not Aretha, she's still Top 5- 10 at the bare minimum. The other thing she had going for her was backing musicians who were the best in the bidness- i.e., Muscle Shoals, ALABAMA.

Sam Cooke, BTW, was probably the best male soul/ R&B singer of all time. Also one of the more chinteresting / sketchy couch sales in the history of music.
    http://youtu.be/_jhYENBxRVo

Roberta gets my vote. Aretha is up near the top (bless her heart)

http://youtu.be/ZcHPNUN-U8E
  • SoutherndawgSoutherndawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,226
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Founders Club

Some incredible female vocalists over the past 75 years or so. Who's best is purely subjective and sure to be biased by the kind of music one likes, but props to many including Ella Fitzgerald, Etta James, Diana Ross, Whitney Houston, Barbara Streisand, Billie Holiday, Dusty Springfield, Aretha Franklin (of course), and many many more.

Maybe one of you scurvy bastards can start a best female vocalist tourney? Give the ladies some love. Just sayin.
  • GilbystaintGilbystaint Member Posts: 1,061
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

Some incredible female vocalists over the past 75 years or so. Who's best is purely subjective and sure to be biased by the kind of music one likes, but props to many including Ella Fitzgerald, Etta James, Diana Ross, Whitney Houston, Barbara Streisand, Billie Holiday, Dusty Springfield, Aretha Franklin (of course), and many many more.

Maybe one of you scurvy bastards can start a best female vocalist tourney? Give the ladies some love. Just sayin.

I agree, I never like to say someone is the best of all time but, Aretha just moved me a little bit more than all the rest. I have recordings of all these artists that have been listed and wouldn’t want to be without any of them.
    Swaye's Wigwam

We have lots of chicks in the upcoming country battle.
  • PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,658
    edited August 2018

Unless they are crazy and/or hot, leave them off the list.

Mindy McCready and Miranda Lambert need serious consideration for top seeds.
    Swaye's Wigwam

You will be pleased I think Throbber.
  • GilbystaintGilbystaint Member Posts: 1,061

One loves a pleased Throbber.
  • PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,658

One loves a pleased Throbber.
    The Throbber is damned near flaccid in anticipation.