Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Auburn fans incoming...

Comments

• Options
    puppylove_sugarsteelpuppylove_sugarsteel Member Posts: 9,133
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker 5 Awesomes
    This place has really went downhill. Ive been around 5ish years, right around when i ran Damone off. Fitting he's back now
  • Options
    PurpleJPurpleJ Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 36,521
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited August 2018

@puppylove_sugarsteel what questions do you have?

I have an interesting take on Auburn with a West Coast view. After Auburn, I moved to Eugene Oregon and lived there for 2 decades before moving back to the South recently.

I know you guys hate the Ducks, it's like the Auburn vs UGA rivalry, but I will give an honest take on Auburn by someone with a Left Coast POV.

So any questions, from puppy or anyone, ask away

How do you reconcile this:

Do you think it's fair to play 8 conference games (not 9) and be able to play a patsy before your big rivalry games in November? Does this have a material effect on wins/losses and team overall health?
    Why leave the south when that's where college football lives?

Also, five teams on that list have championships since 2000. LOL. This board has become a tard fest.
  • Options
    minion_doogminion_doog Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,946
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    *Should have.

Get bent, jive turkey
  • Options
    Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,592
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    but on a real note @auburn2eugene

I don't really know if lindsey is good or not. I liked him but we were coming off of Mike Norvell who is flat out legit and Lindsey's only year here we were on our 4th string qb by game 6.

So tough to say.

Although we were scoring over 40ppg I think the first 4/5 games. But that included such horrific defenses as Texas Tech (the game that Ballage had 8 tds)
  • Options
    auburn2eugeneauburn2eugene Member Posts: 5
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic First Comment
    @Pitchfork51 and it's tough to know how much Lindsey we will actually get. He has thrown to the RBs much more than he has at Auburn. Also there was the LSU debacle last season. Gus clearly was in control of the 2nd half of that games play calling running it up the gut 20 straight times after a 1st down.

Gus let's his DC do his thing but is still heavily involved in the offense. Most Auburn fans want to see him just be the head coach, and let his OC do his thing. So far that hasn't really happened. And Gus coached teams usually take 2 or 3 weeks to get things figured out. If history repeats itself, UDub will easily win this game.

I certainly hope that isn't the case this season.
  • Options
    HorrifyinglyAlluringHorrifyinglyAlluring Member Posts: 102
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Name Dropper First Comment
    PurpleJ said:

I have an interesting take on Auburn with a West Coast view. After Auburn, I moved to Eugene Oregon and lived there for 2 decades before moving back to the South recently.

I know you guys hate the Ducks, it's like the Auburn vs UGA rivalry, but I will give an honest take on Auburn by someone with a Left Coast POV.

Do you think it's fair to play 8 conference games (not 9) and be able to play a patsy before your big rivalry games in November? Does this have a material effect on wins/losses and team overall health?
    Why leave the south when that's where college football lives?

Also, five teams on that list have championships since 2000. LOL. This board has become a tard fest.
    when we need the shortbus take, i'll ping you. run along
  • Options
    backthepackbackthepack Member Posts: 19,796
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker 5 Awesomes

Bring em on. Im sure youve noticed a different tone from Oregon fans'? Cant wait.

Im sure Oregon fans werent badmouthing their qb and head coach. Youll find that here with bannon, backthepack, baseman, rodman, and many others. A lot of new posters here, kicked off every message board in town. Pay no mind. HH a great place when Puppy here. I just arrived after 6 month sabbatical from these idiots

Field questions to Puppy, he'll answer them truthfully, and sportingly.

• Options
    DooglesDoogles Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,474
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam

Doesn't have anything to do with this poast, but it does have to do with weak scheduling.

Oklahoma has not played consecutive road games since 2011.

UW will play @ UCLA and then @ Oregon, with Oregon coming off a bye.

Good job Pac-12.

Doesn't have anything to do with this poast, but it does have to do with weak scheduling.

Good job Pac-12.
    I get losers lose and winners win, but it's criminal to actively put your cash cows at a disadvantage.

The SEC doesn't travel to the West coast because they don't have to. All the money is being slowly choked out of the Pac and Larry Scott is to blame.

It's complete bullshit a 14 team league plays 8 conference games while 10/12 team leagues play 9.

We're getting punked and money talks.
  • Options
    DoogCouricsDoogCourics Member Posts: 5,739

@oregonblitzkrieg 2019 looks interesting for Auburn. Most expect a legacy QB (who is still in high school football right now) to take over and start day 1. I am not one of those people. Gus has a hard time trusting freshmen. He likes playing players he trusts over players he SHOULD take last seasons second UGA game, or the embarrassment of getting manhandled by UCF. Kerryon Johnson who Auburns offense revolved around was injured vs Bama when Auburn beat the #1 team in 2 out of 3 weeks. Once KJ was injured, Gus should of gone to the next man up in the RB rotation, and he simply didn't. As far as the DL goes, I wouldn't expect much of a drop off. Auburn has recruited incredibly well in that position. There is talent for days on the DL and they aren't just juniors and seniors. So while I expect a huge drop off from the QB spot, I wouldn't be expecting a huge drop from the DL.

@BaldwinIV

1. I got tired of being in the south so I thought what is the furthest from my home that I could get that would be as different as possible. And Eugene Oregon with all their hippies are as different from the small town in the south as I could possibly find. Rivalry hatred aside, Eugene isn't that bad.
    2. The UW DL is a real advantage on the Auburn OL. In years past, this simply wouldn't of been the case. But Auburn went through some BS along the coaching side of the line. The OL coach JB Grimes was the OL coach. He was pushed out for Malzahns buddy Herb Hand. Hand was supposed to be a far superior recruiter than Grimes, with only a slight drop on the coaching side. That's couldn't of been further from the truth. Hand not only didn't really bring the talent in, he was a HORRIBLE coach. Auburn like Penn State gave up record numbers in the sacks allowed category under Herb Hand. Texas thought they stole Hand from Auburn, in reality 99.999% of Auburn people were thrilled to see him leave. Most fans expected a big name OL hire when Hand went to Texas. Unfortunately, Gus rehired the coach he forced out for Hand. So back to Grimes. What side is stronger? Neither. Prince Tega the LT started there a few games last season before being sat in favor of a better player. LG is a new starter, C is a new starter, RG has a few starts under his belt, and RT is a new starter. Auburn replaces 4 of the 5 starters from last season. There really isn't a stronger side. Is there quality depth? LoL, no. There may be quality that isn't known about. I mean Auburn MAY have an All American that has no experience... But that's it. How confident am I? In our OL? On a scale of 1 to 10, my confidence in the OL is about a 2 or 3. Auburns OL will be the difference in a playoff run and fighting to finish .500.
    3. Stidham was running for his life most of last season, and still put up the 2nd best passing season in Auburns history. But if you want to see how he handles pressure differently, watch last year's Clemson game, then watch the UGA (game 1) or the Bama game. He matured greatly during the season. However, to answer your question, I would have to see the starting lineup for the OL. There is a chance the RG will slide over to center and one of the RTs will slide inside to RG. If that happens, I think Stidham will fare better than leaving the center exposed as it will be if you see Kaleb Kim as the starting center. If Horton slides over, Stidham will have a better game.
    4. I used to be a SEC SEC guy. But then I lived outside the SEC for over 2 decades. I personally don't ascribe to that nonsense anymore. And UGA and Bama doing what they are doing doesn't help Auburn in the least. A. They get 90% of the recruits they want. Auburn is left with a lot of their top targets being taken. And B Auburn plays both Bama and UGA every single year. On the road in the same year and at home at the same year. Plus it's in the last month of the season. So say Auburn is undefeated going into UGA this year, they will play UGA, no body team, Bama and if they win them, UGA again. So if Auburn wins their division of the SEC, they play UGA a second time in less than a month. So UGA and Bama balling out like they are doesn't help Auburn in the least. It hurts them.

@HorrifyinglyAlluring I personally want to play 9 conference games, as does the Auburn coach. So you are preaching to the choir on that one. Also Auburn doesn't play a cupcake before our rivalry games. This season it's Texas A&M before UGA. Then a cupcake before Bama. In the last few seasons it hasn't had any effect on team health or who wins the next game. As far as true road games, Auburn simply doesn't travel to the left coast. In the 20 years I lived in Eugene, there was nothing more I would of loved to see than my Auburn Tigers putting the smack down on the Ducks in Autzen. But no. The former AD was a good ole boy who never has left Alabama, the new AD is a young man from Notre Dame. So Auburn very well may start doing true road games.

@Pitchfork51 you will find a great majority of Auburn people without question ABSOLUTELY want Lindsey being in charge of the offense. Auburn people want Gus to be the head coach and have NOTHING TO DO with the offense.

@AuburnFan Auburn absolutely does not have the best front 7 in college football. Most likely not even the SEC. But keep viewing everything through them orange and blue shaders there bro...

OK guys, I'll check back in a bit for anything else

STAY!!!!!!
  • Options
    oregonblitzkriegoregonblitzkrieg Member Posts: 15,288
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment

Good job Pac-12.
    Evidently the PAC administration has tired of UW bumbling all the big games and wants to ensure that America's favorite PAC 12 team is tanned, rested and ready to retake what rightfully belongs to it.
  • Options
    Ice_HolmvikIce_Holmvik Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,909
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited August 2018

Good job Pac-12.
    Evidently the PAC administration has tired of UW bumbling all the big games and wants to ensure that America's favorite PAC 12 team is tanned, rested and ready to retake what rightfully belongs to it.
    Probably right. The conference has long favored USC.
  • Options
    AU2xguyAU2xguy Member Posts: 44
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment Name Dropper

Let me take a stab at this. The tweet only talks about true road games. Since 2000, we've played the following. Remember, some of these were when teams still only played 11 game seasons. I'll also include upcoming games:

2001: at Syracuse
    2002: at USC, vs. Syracuse
    2003: vs. USC, at Georgia Tech
    2005: Georgia Tech
    2006: vs Washington State
    2007: vs Kansas State
    2008: at West Virginia
    2009: vs West Virginia
    2010: vs Clemson
    2011: at Clemson
    2012: Clemson (neutral site)
    2013: vs Washington State
    2014: at Kansas State
    2015: Louisville (neutral site)
    2016: vs Clemson
    2017: at Clemson
    2018: Washington (neutral site)
    2019: Oregon (neutral site)
    2020: North Carolina (neutral site)
    2021: at Penn State
    2022: vs Penn State
    2023: at Cal
    2024: Cal

I listed those out to basically show that AU does make an effort to play a Power 5 non-conference game every year (exception was 2004) and has some cool home/home series upcoming. Some may ask "Why did WSU go to Auburn twice with no return visit?" The answer is simple: WSU's stadium is too small. I can guaran-damn-tee you Auburn would bring at least 15k fans to Pullman. That 32k seat high school stadium just won't cut it. If you need proof of how AU travels for big non-conference games, understand that we took 15k fans to Manhattan, Kansas for a Thursday night game in 2014, 15k for a Thursday night at West Virginia in 2008, and nearly 30k fans to USC for a Labor Day night game in 2002. For a new venue/opponent, our folks will spend money and travel.

As for the 8 vs 9 conference game thing, you have to understand two things:

1) Malzahn and Saban are the only two coaches in the conference pushing for it. Most fans would love it though.

2) That extra guaranteed home game is huge for some of the towns these schools live in. Remember, the economies Seattle, Los Angeles, Phoenix, etc don't revolve around college football. The cities of Auburn, Tuscaloosa, Fayetteville, Knoxville, Clemson, etc absolutely do. That one extra home game can mean millions of dollars to the local economy and be the difference between a business making it or not.

Finally, don't blame the SEC for figuring out that playing a patsy in November is smart business. Go yell at the Pac-12 scheduling office for backloading the conference schedule on y'all. Even if we moved to a nine game conference schedule, we'd still play a cupcake that week. Just take off a cupcake in September or October to make the trade. And the thing is, I don't hear people yelling about it being unfair to the SEC when AU played a conference game to start the season in 2015 or that the biggest game of the Eastern Division's year is in week 2 this season (UGA/South Carolina). That's just the way it rolls man.