Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Day Two Hits

Austin Joyner had the best day, forcing a turnover and flying around and making plays. After being beaten by Jordan Chin down the field for a big completion, Joyner stripped the ball and Jojo McIntosh, who was trailing the play, grabbed the ball out of the air. Jimmy Lake praised Joyner for finishing the play and not giving up after he was beaten. Joyner also brought the attitude, giving freshman wideout Marquis Spiker a "love tap" and setting the tone in the secondary.

Please God let him be the starting Nickel

Greg Gaines and Jaylen Johnson are both are quietly spectacular players, but Levi Onwuzurike has been an absolute beast in the first two practices. Today, the third-year sophomore was in the offensive backfield quite a bit, forcing a couple of runs to be bottled up and he also got in to pressure Jake Browning and make the senior quarterback throw the ball away. Later in practice, Onwuzurike got in for a sack on Jake Haener. What makes this group special though is the depth that could potentially start to form. Shane Bowman has had two solid practices and the freshmen -- Tuli Letuligasenoa, Sam Taimani, Draco Bynum and Mosiah Nasili-Liu -- all look like they could press for playing time as they continue to progress.

Gaines, Jaylen, and Levi will be incredible. Mosiah continues to look like a physical freak, and holds 300 lbs so easy

The young wideouts have started to step up. Ty Jones had his best practice as a Husky, getting open regularly and making a couple of plays down the field. Also, Marquis Spiker and Austin Joyner had big receptions down the sideline and Trey Lowe made a great catch over the middle for a first down that extended a drive. Washington has lost its best receiver each of the last two seasons to graduation and with Chico McClatcher still coming back from a leg injury, there's playing time to be had. Jones seems to be stepping up in the first two days of camp and while Spiker, Lowe and Osborne still have yet to play in a game, they have shown the playmaking abilities that made the coaches pursue them on the recruiting trail.

Happy to see Jones, Spiker, Osborne, and Lowe are getting love, but sad that they are all behind Fuller, Baccellia, and Pounds

Linebacker pairings are starting to form and it was interesting to watch freshmen MJ Tafisi and Jackson Sirmon each get several reps with the third unit. There is no question the starters will be Ben Burr-Kirven and Tevis Bartlett, but after those two, there's a lot of mixing and matching going on. DJ Beavers looks fit and ready to reclaim his spot as the primary backup at WIL, but Brandon Wellington and Kyler Manu are still trying feel their way inside. At the SAM position, Amandre Williams has been taking most of the reps with the first team and Ariel Ngata has started to flash his immense potential.

MJ and Jack, like, give me a total boner. Excited to hear Amandre is taking hold of SAM and that Ngata is finally healthy enough to get reps (call your brother please)

Bush Hamdan really likes the quarterback room and how they are going about their business. With Browning and Haener, Jacob Eason, Colson Yankoff and Jacob Sirmon all in the fold, there's a lot of talent to keep happy, but the first-year offensive coordinator said he thinks everyone is focused on their one goal -- winning -- and not focused on the battles going on for reps and playing time. Browning actually coaches up both Haener and Eason when the youngsters are taking reps and Haener has done a lot of coaching with the two freshmen as well. It won't really start to be a focus until after the season, but the battle between the four remaining signal-callers once Browning leaves will be very interesting to watch and building that camaraderie and family atmosphere will be a huge key in keeping the egos in check and continuing to move things forward.

This is complete bullshit as we have heard from Browning's own interviews

Comments

• SyphilisButterSyphilisButter Member Posts: 221
    edited August 2018
    You're doing god's work here. Thank you. Biggest development to me is Amandre starting at SAM. He arrived with a lot of fanfare and we'll need him playing well, and soon.

SB
  • GwadGwad Member Posts: 2,855
    edited August 2018
    Austin JoynerOsbourneOsborne
  • GwadGwad Member Posts: 2,855
    It was never on you. Grateful for your stewardship.
  • BreadBread Member Posts: 4,011
    You left out my two favorite updates for day 2.

Matt james took all the RG reps with both the first and second string offense.

And although bowman is with the first string defense. It's a new diet and a new attistude. Everyone is talking about the difference between Benning 2018 and benning 2017. He looks atleast 10 times better.
  • PurpleBazePurpleBaze Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 29,726 Founders Club
    I first read that as "Day Two Tits". Imagine my disappointment.
  • SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,357 Founders Club

You should post Day Two Tits in the Wam. You should do that.
  • PurpleBazePurpleBaze Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 29,726 Founders Club
    Swaye said:

You should post Day Two Tits in the Wam. You should do that.
    Done!
  • LesGrossmanLesGrossman Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,477 Founders Club

From Caple:

Kickers Peyton Henry and Van Soderberg each made an attempt from what looked like somewhere in the 30-35-yard range early in practice, but things didn’t go as well toward the end. Henry missed both of his attempts from 35 yards at the end of practice — one each from the left and right hash — and Soderberg made his try from the right hash but missed from the left. Freshman kicker Dylan Williams, however, made both of his attempts.

FYFMFE
  • Edwin_BambinoEdwin_Bambino Member Posts: 2,943
    I’ve always said I’m a big Dylan Williams guy. One of the two players on the team lighter than Chin so that alone is an impressive feat.
  • PostGameOrangeSlicesPostGameOrangeSlices Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 25,500 Swaye's Wigwam
    This is like the 3rd year in a row Chin is mentioned repeatedly for making plays against the #1 and #2 defense.

So the guy must not be a scrub. The coaches are probably just worried about him dying on a cross over the middle. Cant have the liability
  • RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member Posts: 30,123

This is like the 3rd year in a row Chin is mentioned repeatedly for making plays against the #1 and #2 defense.

So the guy must not be a scrub. The coaches are probably just worried about him dying on a cross over the middle. Cant have the liability

He does get mentioned a lot. I still doubt he does much, but eventually he will catch a bomb. He's fast. Hopefully it happens when we really need it.
  • BaldwinIVBaldwinIV Member Posts: 797
    has the O ever dominated a fall camp scrimmage under pete lol
  • DoogCouricsDoogCourics Member Posts: 5,739

Caple premium content:

SEATTLE — There must have been some kind of miscommunication on the play, because when senior quarterback Jake Browning lofted a long pass up the right sideline during an 11-on-11 period toward the end of Washington’s practice on Sunday afternoon, there was no receiver in sight.

There was no defensive back in sight, either, until suddenly, there was.

Sprinting across the field from his free safety position, junior Taylor Rapp laid out, hauled in the pass and secured his second interception in as many days. It took Rapp a moment to make his way to the sideline, as he appeared to land on the ball and knock the wind out of himself, but he was fine a few moments later.

The play provided a nice segue into Rapp’s post-practice session with reporters, in which he detailed his offseason goal of losing a little weight in order to play faster and build endurance more easily. You wouldn’t know it by looking at his arms — and he says he is, indeed, stronger — but Rapp has actually lost about eight pounds since last season, from 212 to 204, and he says he feels better already.

“I feel so good on my feet,” said Rapp, a first-team All-Pac-12 selection as a sophomore. “I kind of reflected after last season and asked myself what can I do to take my game to the next level, as everyone wants to. I decided that I could shed a few pounds and be lighter on my feet and not be so tired during games.

“I feel great. During spring ball, I felt great. I was probably playing at, like, 207, 208 during spring ball, but during summer conditioning, my lightest was at 201-202. But now I’m sitting at 204, so I feel great.”

He’s looked it, too, through UW’s first three practices, but so has nearly every other defensive back on the roster. On Sunday, the Huskies’ DBs came down with five interceptions: sophomore Keith Taylor grabbed one on a pass by freshman quarterback Jacob Sirmon during an early 11-on-11 period; freshman Julius Irvin grabbed another on a pass by redshirt freshman Jake Haener; senior Sean Vergara intercepted Sirmon; sophomore Elijah Molden picked off Haener, too; and Rapp made the diving interception later in practice.

It’s become fairly standard for the defense to force a bunch of turnovers early in fall camp, so I wouldn’t assign sky-is-falling status to UW’s offense just yet, especially with the younger quarterbacks getting so many team reps at this point. What’s most striking is how little drop-off there is in the secondary when the Huskies roll their second and third defensive units onto the field. As set as they are with their No. 1 unit, they appear to be establishing reliable depth at cornerback already.

Other observations from UW’s Sunday session, which featured shoulder pads for the first time …

• This was a first: The Huskies conducted their early, up-tempo, 11-on-11 session without helmets on. Chris Petersen emphasizes fundamentals above all else during the early portion of fall camp, so the no-helmet move might have been intended to keep the focus on proper technique.

• UW’s defensive backs have dominated at times, but the news isn’t all bad for the Huskies’ receivers. The No. 2 offense — well, it was mostly the No. 2 offense, with a few starters mixed in — did end practice by scoring a touchdown, thanks in large part to a pair of really nice catches by redshirt freshman receiver Terrell Bynum and junior receiver Aaron Fuller, both on passes thrown by Haener. The ball Bynum brought down, amid coverage by freshman cornerback Dominique Hampton and sophomore safety Brandon McKinney, probably shouldn’t have been thrown, as both Hampton and McKinney had a chance to make a play on it. But Bynum leaped and grabbed it. The second was a much better throw by Haener, and Fuller went up to get it over Molden inside the defense’s 15-yard line. Two carries by tailback Sean McGrew moved the ball to the 1-yard line, and after an offside penalty, a throwaway and a bad snap, McGrew punched it in from a yard out for the offense’s only touchdown of the day.

Both of those catches brought to mind a receiver drill earlier in practice, with receivers coach Matt Lubick lobbing passes and players taking turns jumping back into the defender to make the catch. Petersen was watching, imploring the receivers to “go back into him! Go get it!” each time a ball was thrown.

• Freshman receiver Austin Osborne had a similar catch during 7-on-7s, leaping over Dustin Bush to haul it in.

• Senior running back Myles Gaskin doesn’t typically take a ton of 11-on-11 reps during fall camp, and this year has been pretty similar. He did have one highlight Sunday, though, catching a long, accurate throw from Sirmon between a pair of defenders during 7-on-7s. Gaskin continues to look good catching the ball over his shoulder, as he did a few times last season, which is a nice weapon for him to continue to develop.

• Junior receiver Quinten Pounds continues to show up, especially for a guy whose 2017 season was cut short by knee surgery. He doesn’t appear limited at all, and he made a couple of tough catches again.

• I saw Trey Adams do some very light on-field work, stepping in at left tackle for a couple snaps during a drill that involved bursting out of his stance, then putting a body on the defender he was assigned to block. It wasn’t much, but anything Adams does between the sidelines is notable at this point.

• Henry Roberts again took most of the snaps with the No. 1 offensive line at left tackle, though he also took a few reps at right guard, with Jared Hilbers at left tackle. The rest of the first-team offensive line looks the same: Luke Wattenberg at left guard, Nick Harris at center and Kaleb McGary at right tackle, with Matt James playing right guard whenever Roberts wasn’t.

• A couple other offensive line combinations the Huskies rolled out during 11-on-11 periods: LT Henry Bainivalu, LG Jaxson Kirkland, C Jesse Sosebee, RG Matt James, RT Devin Burleson; and LT Matteo Mele LG Chase Skuza, C Cole Norgaard, RG M.J. Ale and RT Victor Curne.

• The second-team defensive backfield, for the most part, has Taylor and Hampton at cornerback, Molden at nickel and McKinney and Isaiah Gilchrist at safety. Austin Joyner is still taking No. 1 cornerback reps with Jordan Miller working his way back. That will be an interesting competition to watch, once Miller can participate fully in practices.

• Your daily kicking update: Peyton Henry went 3-for-3 on tries from 37 yards, one early in practice and two at the end from both the left and right hashmarks. Van Soderberg missed his attempt early in practice, but he made both at the end, and Dylan Williams went 1-for-2 at the end of practice.

• El Gaucho was here yet again for the post-practice meal. Dubs was not.

TYFYS, as this is one of the ones I haven't paid for!
  • UWhuskytskeetUWhuskytskeet Member Posts: 7,110

Caple premium content:

SEATTLE — There must have been some kind of miscommunication on the play, because when senior quarterback Jake Browning lofted a long pass up the right sideline during an 11-on-11 period toward the end of Washington’s practice on Sunday afternoon, there was no receiver in sight.

There was no defensive back in sight, either, until suddenly, there was.

Sprinting across the field from his free safety position, junior Taylor Rapp laid out, hauled in the pass and secured his second interception in as many days. It took Rapp a moment to make his way to the sideline, as he appeared to land on the ball and knock the wind out of himself, but he was fine a few moments later.

The play provided a nice segue into Rapp’s post-practice session with reporters, in which he detailed his offseason goal of losing a little weight in order to play faster and build endurance more easily. You wouldn’t know it by looking at his arms — and he says he is, indeed, stronger — but Rapp has actually lost about eight pounds since last season, from 212 to 204, and he says he feels better already.

“I feel so good on my feet,” said Rapp, a first-team All-Pac-12 selection as a sophomore. “I kind of reflected after last season and asked myself what can I do to take my game to the next level, as everyone wants to. I decided that I could shed a few pounds and be lighter on my feet and not be so tired during games.

“I feel great. During spring ball, I felt great. I was probably playing at, like, 207, 208 during spring ball, but during summer conditioning, my lightest was at 201-202. But now I’m sitting at 204, so I feel great.”

He’s looked it, too, through UW’s first three practices, but so has nearly every other defensive back on the roster. On Sunday, the Huskies’ DBs came down with five interceptions: sophomore Keith Taylor grabbed one on a pass by freshman quarterback Jacob Sirmon during an early 11-on-11 period; freshman Julius Irvin grabbed another on a pass by redshirt freshman Jake Haener; senior Sean Vergara intercepted Sirmon; sophomore Elijah Molden picked off Haener, too; and Rapp made the diving interception later in practice.

It’s become fairly standard for the defense to force a bunch of turnovers early in fall camp, so I wouldn’t assign sky-is-falling status to UW’s offense just yet, especially with the younger quarterbacks getting so many team reps at this point. What’s most striking is how little drop-off there is in the secondary when the Huskies roll their second and third defensive units onto the field. As set as they are with their No. 1 unit, they appear to be establishing reliable depth at cornerback already.

Other observations from UW’s Sunday session, which featured shoulder pads for the first time …

• This was a first: The Huskies conducted their early, up-tempo, 11-on-11 session without helmets on. Chris Petersen emphasizes fundamentals above all else during the early portion of fall camp, so the no-helmet move might have been intended to keep the focus on proper technique.

• UW’s defensive backs have dominated at times, but the news isn’t all bad for the Huskies’ receivers. The No. 2 offense — well, it was mostly the No. 2 offense, with a few starters mixed in — did end practice by scoring a touchdown, thanks in large part to a pair of really nice catches by redshirt freshman receiver Terrell Bynum and junior receiver Aaron Fuller, both on passes thrown by Haener. The ball Bynum brought down, amid coverage by freshman cornerback Dominique Hampton and sophomore safety Brandon McKinney, probably shouldn’t have been thrown, as both Hampton and McKinney had a chance to make a play on it. But Bynum leaped and grabbed it. The second was a much better throw by Haener, and Fuller went up to get it over Molden inside the defense’s 15-yard line. Two carries by tailback Sean McGrew moved the ball to the 1-yard line, and after an offside penalty, a throwaway and a bad snap, McGrew punched it in from a yard out for the offense’s only touchdown of the day.

Both of those catches brought to mind a receiver drill earlier in practice, with receivers coach Matt Lubick lobbing passes and players taking turns jumping back into the defender to make the catch. Petersen was watching, imploring the receivers to “go back into him! Go get it!” each time a ball was thrown.

• Freshman receiver Austin Osborne had a similar catch during 7-on-7s, leaping over Dustin Bush to haul it in.

• Senior running back Myles Gaskin doesn’t typically take a ton of 11-on-11 reps during fall camp, and this year has been pretty similar. He did have one highlight Sunday, though, catching a long, accurate throw from Sirmon between a pair of defenders during 7-on-7s. Gaskin continues to look good catching the ball over his shoulder, as he did a few times last season, which is a nice weapon for him to continue to develop.

• Junior receiver Quinten Pounds continues to show up, especially for a guy whose 2017 season was cut short by knee surgery. He doesn’t appear limited at all, and he made a couple of tough catches again.

• I saw Trey Adams do some very light on-field work, stepping in at left tackle for a couple snaps during a drill that involved bursting out of his stance, then putting a body on the defender he was assigned to block. It wasn’t much, but anything Adams does between the sidelines is notable at this point.

• Henry Roberts again took most of the snaps with the No. 1 offensive line at left tackle, though he also took a few reps at right guard, with Jared Hilbers at left tackle. The rest of the first-team offensive line looks the same: Luke Wattenberg at left guard, Nick Harris at center and Kaleb McGary at right tackle, with Matt James playing right guard whenever Roberts wasn’t.

• A couple other offensive line combinations the Huskies rolled out during 11-on-11 periods: LT Henry Bainivalu, LG Jaxson Kirkland, C Jesse Sosebee, RG Matt James, RT Devin Burleson; and LT Matteo Mele LG Chase Skuza, C Cole Norgaard, RG M.J. Ale and RT Victor Curne.

• The second-team defensive backfield, for the most part, has Taylor and Hampton at cornerback, Molden at nickel and McKinney and Isaiah Gilchrist at safety. Austin Joyner is still taking No. 1 cornerback reps with Jordan Miller working his way back. That will be an interesting competition to watch, once Miller can participate fully in practices.

• Your daily kicking update: Peyton Henry went 3-for-3 on tries from 37 yards, one early in practice and two at the end from both the left and right hashmarks. Van Soderberg missed his attempt early in practice, but he made both at the end, and Dylan Williams went 1-for-2 at the end of practice.

• El Gaucho was here yet again for the post-practice meal. Dubs was not.

TYFYS, as this is one of the ones I haven't paid for!
    You can get the student rate if you kept your .edu after graduating. Works for a ton of shit actually, glad I had that forwarded.
  • FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    curne at RT makes me fell warm in the sweatpants
  • PostGameOrangeSlicesPostGameOrangeSlices Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 25,500 Swaye's Wigwam
    BaldwinIV said:

has the O ever dominated a fall camp scrimmage under pete lol

The answer is no and that is a big red flag