Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

This is just fantastic.

PurpleBazePurpleBaze Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 29,707 Founders Club
This is from the Husky Mailing List (rosebowl@u.washington.edu). This showed up in my inbox this morning. I'm not going to post the name of the author, but I just had to share it.

Subject: "Defending Sark--but also candidates if a change were made?"

"I am not a Sark apologist, but the media message boards are unfairly turning up the heat on Sark, IMO. We played the # 13 team on the road and kept the game close and entertaining. Sark did not fumble twice. You could make the argument (I've made the argument) that the UCLA game turned on only 2 plays--the TD that they disallowed for a penalty that did not happen and Shaq failing to drop on a loose ball. Many are calling this season a disappointment. I'm not happy myself with the way things have played out. But with the exception of Arizona State, the Huskies have played well in all games.

However, if we finish 6-6 then lose a bowl game to close the year 6-7, I could see a change being made or the heat really getting turned up. And I would not be surprised if we finish 6-6 given that Keith may be out for the rest of the regular season. Miles looks like a capable QB who will emerge as a starter. But can he win on the road in his first start? That's asking too much. So we lose in Corvallis, dropping the Huskies to 6-5. Anything can happen in the Apple Cup. I like our odds at home. But if the Cougars are only 1 win from making a bowl game, I can see them coming out fired up.

Best case is we win our last 2 games to finish 8-4 then win our bowl to finish 9-4. Pretty good year. Worst case is we lose our last 2 games and then lose the bowl to finish 6-7. I'm thinking we fall in the middle there somewhere, maybe 7-6. We lose to Oregon State, beat the Cougars and then lose our bowl game.

Assuming it is a worst case scenario, I think Sark's job is still safe mainly because there are not any realistic candidates out there if Woodward decided to make a change. Who is out there?

1. Chris Petersen, Boise State (49 years old) 89-10. Definite winner. His base salary is $2 million with a $200k raise each year. Wasn't he approached before by us or others, and hasn't he turned down all overtures?

2. Gary Pinkel, Missouri (61 years old). 170-98-3. Unlikely he would leave Missouri. He was a finalist for the UW job in 1998-99. Many of us, myself included, were hoping Pinkel would get the job. Don James protégé. Fun to imagine how things might have been different if Pinkel had been hired back then. That ship sailed.

3. Craig Bohl, North Dakota State (55 years old). 96-32. Three FCS national championships. Can he win at the FBS level? Does he have the poise and polish for UW Alumni and fan base?

After these three, I can't think of any others. There are names, but names with baggage.

4. Bobby Hauck, UNLV and formerly Montana (49 years old). 90-51. Proven winner at Montana. Has struggled at UNLV. Neuheisel protégé. Program problems at Montana(off the field issues).

5. Chris Tormey, formerly Nevada (58 years old) 49-54. UW ties. Finalist for the UW job back in 1998-99. Fired at Nevada a few years ago. Uncertain tenure at Nevada. Not sure where he is now. Maybe an assistant at Wyoming?

6. Rocky Long, formerly New Mexico currently San Diego State (63 years old) 85-81. Great defensive record. Average HC record. And is probably too old.

7. Dennis Erickson, WSU, Miami, Oregon State, Idaho, Arizona State (66 years old) 179-96-1. No way no how, but threw his name out anyway.

I can't really see any likely candidates out there. I do not know who is coaching Fresno State. And I'm not sure about the coordinators or assistants who might be out there. Next time we hire a HC, however, I hope we hire someone with actual HC experience."

Comments