Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

SCOTUS rules Gawd hates gays

Comments

• Options
    2001400ex2001400ex Member Posts: 29,457
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye said:

Wow, 7-2 vote as well. I did not see that one cuming. Religious freedom is still a thing I guess. Cool.

*cumming
  • Options
    topdawgnc said:
    "Our society has come to the recognition that gay persons and gay couples cannot be treated as social outcasts or as inferior in dignity and worth," Kennedy wrote.

"The outcome of cases like this in other circumstances must await further elaboration in the courts, all in the context of recognizing that these disputes must be resolved with tolerance, without undue disrespect to sincere religious beliefs, and without subjecting gay persons to indignities when they seek goods and services in an open market," Kennedy added.
  • Options
    Swaye said:

2001400ex said:

topdawgnc said:
    "Our society has come to the recognition that gay persons and gay couples cannot be treated as social outcasts or as inferior in dignity and worth," Kennedy wrote.

"The outcome of cases like this in other circumstances must await further elaboration in the courts, all in the context of recognizing that these disputes must be resolved with tolerance, without undue disrespect to sincere religious beliefs, and without subjecting gay persons to indignities when they seek goods and services in an open market," Kennedy added.
    We all know gays have rights, it's just nice to see that their rights don't automatically trump others rights in all cases. I think that is all SCOTUS is saying here - it's a delicate balancing act - and hard to have absolutes. Gays have a right to be served, but small private businesses with strong religious beliefs have rights as well.
    Exactly. That was the point of that quote. There was another quote where this decision doesn't address many of those other issues. Hard thing is, whose rights matter more?

Tho I do chuckle at people using Christianity as a reason to not serve gay people. Given Jesus would tell them to serve the gay couple: thou shall not throw stones.
  • Options
    SledogSledog Member Posts: 30,655
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

2001400ex said:

Swaye said:

2001400ex said:

topdawgnc said:

We all know gays have rights, it's just nice to see that their rights don't automatically trump others rights in all cases. I think that is all SCOTUS is saying here - it's a delicate balancing act - and hard to have absolutes. Gays have a right to be served, but small private businesses with strong religious beliefs have rights as well.
    Exactly. That was the point of that quote. There was another quote where this decision doesn't address many of those other issues. Hard thing is, whose rights matter more?

Tho I do chuckle at people using Christianity as a reason to not serve gay people. Given Jesus would tell them to serve the gay couple: thou shall not throw stones.
    I laugh my ass off when Mohamed tells guys to throw gays off buildings. Its just like a wedding cake only violent and bloody
    But the left loves mooselimbs. That's the funny part.
  • Options
    BlackieBlackie Member Posts: 499
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Name Dropper 5 Up Votes
    Swaye said:

2001400ex said:

topdawgnc said:

SCOTUS came nowhere close to even considering the business and discrimination issues. Their entire ruling was about the animosity the local commission showed against the baker dude.
  • Options
    GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,481
    Standard Supporter

I'm glad the gay marriage is legal and logically it makes sense to me from a legal contract perspective. That said, declare victory and go home- i.e., leave the baker alone. Plenty of bakers out there to take your money. And no there's no moral equivalence with Jim Crow era lunch counters here.

The problem with sexuality as the basis for a legally protected class is anyone can claim to be homosexual at a time and place of their choosing. Anne Heche was once openly & famously lesbian and partnered with Ellen. Now, she's married to a man. Did she lose legal protections between Ellen-time and cock-time?

• Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,864
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

I'm glad the gay marriage is legal and logically it makes sense to me from a legal contract perspective. That said, declare victory and go home- i.e., leave the baker alone. Plenty of bakers out there to take your money. And no there's no moral equivalence with Jim Crow era lunch counters here.

The problem with sexuality as the basis for a legally protected class is anyone can claim to be homosexual at a time and place of their choosing. Anne Heche was once openly & famously lesbian and partnered with Ellen. Now, she's married to a man. Did she lose legal protections between Ellen-time and cock-time?

Did she sign a marriage certificate will Ellen?
  • Options
    Standard Supporter

Did she sign a marriage certificate will Ellen?
    Wasn't talking about marriage per se, so I probably shouldn't have quoted you're poast. I was talking more broadly (lololllolo), like employment non-discrimination laws, etc.
  • Options
    Standard Supporter

2001400ex said:

Swaye said:

2001400ex said:

topdawgnc said:

I don't think that means what you think it means. Jesus did not say you had to condone sinful behavior or support it, just that you should recognize that you are also a sinner. Having empathy or loving someone doesn't mean you have to support him or her in his or her behavior. Jesus spent his time with prostitutes, but he didn't encourage them to be prostitutes!
    This case was particularly interesting because the baker was not refusing to serve them. Rather, he was refusing to make a custom cake for their wedding. It is clear, for instance, that a gay couple could not force a Christian publisher to publish their book on gay marriage. Now it is tricky with respect to what counts as "expression". Is simply baking a unique cake? What about if your write a message on it? Certainly there will be more cases like this in the future.
    This guy gets it
  • Options

2001400ex said:

Swaye said:

2001400ex said:

topdawgnc said:

I laugh my ass off when Mohamed tells guys to throw gays off buildings. Its just like a wedding cake only violent and bloody
    Because I don't think all Muslims want to kill us, means I support all their beliefs. Such fucktarded logic Race. You are smarter than that.
  • Options
    TurdBomberTurdBomber Member Posts: 19,739
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    So a baker can refuse to bake a cake that's just too faggy?
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,173
    Swaye's Wigwam
    2001400ex said:

2001400ex said:

Swaye said:

2001400ex said:

topdawgnc said:

Because I don't think all Muslims want to kill us, means I support all their beliefs. Such fucktarded logic Race. You are smarter than that.
    So you think all Christians want to kill you? Is that why you only mention rhem?
  • Options
    dfleadflea Member Posts: 7,220
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes

Faggy and wedding cake are one and the same.
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,781
    dflea said:

Faggy and wedding cake are one and the same.
    White wedding cake is goddamned delicious though. Unless you ruin it with faggy raspberry filling.
  • Options

2001400ex said:

2001400ex said:

Swaye said:

2001400ex said:

topdawgnc said:

So you think all Christians want to kill you? Is that why you only mention rhem?
    Yes that's exactly right.