Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Your favorite WWII era (piston engine) fighter?

2»

Comments

• YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 34,941 Founders Club
    Vought F4U Corsair
    BearsWiin said:

Would have voted for the F8F Bearcat, but it didn't see combat in WWII. Fw190 was just the best plane, even though my personal favorite was probably the Razorback/Thunderbolt. Always liked the look of the P-38, but it couldn't turn for shit

Both the Hawker Sea Fury and Bearcat had greater performance than the P-51 but neither made it into the war, of course.
  • SoutherndawgSoutherndawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,279 Founders Club
    Vought F4U Corsair

BearsWiin said:

Would have voted for the F8F Bearcat, but it didn't see combat in WWII. Fw190 was just the best plane, even though my personal favorite was probably the Razorback/Thunderbolt. Always liked the look of the P-38, but it couldn't turn for shit

Both the Hawker Sea Fury and Bearcat had greater performance than the P-51 but neither made it into the war, of course.
    The ultimate Bearcat. Incredible plane.

https://www.airspacemag.com/history-of-flight/the-bear-is-back-136220946/
    Vought F4U Corsair

BearsWiin said:

4,500 HP? Holy phuck!!
  • dfleadflea Member Posts: 7,228
    Vought F4U Corsair
    BearsWiin said:

Dick Bong apparently thought the P-38 had a decent turn radius. So did the 40 pilots he shot down.

The P-51 is the king of kills, with the Grumman F6F Hellcat just behind it. The Corsair only had 2140 claimed kills, but only 189 were lost in combat.

I had a chance to fly in a P-51 years ago and didn't do it. I often look back and think about what a faggot I was.

• SledogSledog Member Posts: 33,082 Standard Supporter
    Write-In Option
    Performance wise the P-51, Corsair and Hellcat were the best. But for pure looks I have always thought the P-38 was the shit!

It also killed Yamamoto. Remember Pearl Harbor!
    Vought F4U Corsair
    BearsWiin said:

dflea said:

BearsWiin said:

Dick Bong apparently thought the P-38 had a decent turn radius. So did the 40 pilots he shot down.

The P-51 is the king of kills, with the Grumman F6F Hellcat just behind it. The Corsair only had 2140 claimed kills, but only 189 were lost in combat.

I had a chance to fly in a P-51 years ago and didn't do it. I often look back and think about what a faggot I was.

Dick Bong also flew against a lot of pilots who didn't have the experience that he had, and who flew planes that didn't have the armor to withstand the .50cal and 20mm he could throw at them. You could ask him, I suppose, but he'd probably tell you that most aerial combat kills are made by surprise. The P-38 just wasn't very maneuverable. Powerful and well-armed, yes, but not particularly maneuverable.

There's a local guy who has recently started flying his Bearcat out of the Watsonville Airport and buzzing the beaches between La Selva and New Brighton. Fun to watch the aerobatics, and even more fun to hear that engine.
    Good points here. Shitty pilot training / replacement was just one of many reasons the Japanese got turkey shooted.
    Vought F4U Corsair
    Sledog said:

Performance wise the P-51, Corsair and Hellcat were the best. But for pure looks I have always thought the P-38 was the shit!

It was. So was the SR-71. Kelly Johnson, nuff said on that.
  • SledogSledog Member Posts: 33,082 Standard Supporter
    Write-In Option

Sledog said:

It was. So was the SR-71. Kelly Johnson, nuff said on that.
    Kelly Johnson was unbelievable!
  • PurpleJPurpleJ Member Posts: 36,911 Founders Club
    Focke Wulf 190
  • RedRocketRedRocket Member Posts: 1,527
    edited June 2018
    PurpleJ said:

Balls too buttcheeky.
  • dfleadflea Member Posts: 7,228
    Vought F4U Corsair
    BearsWiin said:

dflea said:

BearsWiin said:

Dick Bong also flew against a lot of pilots who didn't have the experience that he had, and who flew planes that didn't have the armor to withstand the .50cal and 20mm he could throw at them. You could ask him, I suppose, but he'd probably tell you that most aerial combat kills are made by surprise. The P-38 just wasn't very maneuverable. Powerful and well-armed, yes, but not particularly maneuverable.

There's a local guy who has recently started flying his Bearcat out of the Watsonville Airport and buzzing the beaches between La Selva and New Brighton. Fun to watch the aerobatics, and even more fun to hear that engine.
    No argument here.

I've seen the Bearcat "Rare Bear" race at Reno a couple times, and that thing is a screaming monster. Nothing sounds like those engines do.
    Vought F4U Corsair

BearsWiin said:

4,500 HP? Holy phuck!!
    Rare Bear is truly an incredible airplane. I think it still holds the short distance speed record for piston engine aircraft at almost 530 mph. As @dflea describes it, it is a screaming monster.
  • 89ute89ute Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,477 Swaye's Wigwam
    I'm more of a Size King

• Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,851
    Vought F4U Corsair
    89ute said:

I'm more of a Size King

Except for the lack of piston engines and WWII vintage, cool big plane.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZIdAsvr5Kk

If we're changing the rules, gotta include the F22 in the cool plane category.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=totzfPN4hWQ

Kelly Johnson's most impressive project has to be on the list too. He pulled this off with an historically small team at Lockheed and through outstanding management of subcontractors including key contributors 3M and Pratt & Whitney. Together they developed a slew of highly advanced technologies in materials and material processing, low observables, propulsion, fuels, ... etc, and they did so in an amazingly short period of time, just a few short years. These days, projects of this stature receive an overwhelming amount of artery clogging bureaucracy and risk aversion that slow their development to geological time scales. Damn shame.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ye72yJyWxs8