Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Your favorite WWII era (piston engine) fighter?

YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 34,941 Founders Club

Your favorite WWII era (piston engine) fighter? 16 votes

Messerschmitt Bf 109
0%
North American P-51
43%
DerekJohnsonDawgtonaDeepSeaZbiak1Dude61GrundleStiltzkinDawgWagonDan 7 votes
Supermarine Spitfire
0%
Mitsubishi A6M Zero
0%
Vought F4U Corsair
25%
SwayeSoutherndawgdfleaYellowSnow 4 votes
Republic P-47 Thunderbolt
0%
Grumman F6F Hellcat
0%
Focke Wulf 190
18%
CuntWafflePurpleJBearsWiin 3 votes
Lockheed P-38 Lightning
0%
Write-In Option
12%
LebamDawgSledog 2 votes

Comments

• dfleadflea Member Posts: 7,228
    Vought F4U Corsair
    The P-51 was a far superior aircraft, but the Corsair just has something cool about it.

'Der gabelschwanz teufel' P-38 is pretty fucking cool, too. I watched one at Oshkosh do aerobatics with only one engine running.

I always thought the Hawker Typhoon and the Junkers Stuka were cool as well.
  • YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 34,941 Founders Club
    Vought F4U Corsair
    dflea said:

The P-51 was a far superior aircraft, but the Corsair just has something cool about it.

'Der gabelschwanz teufel' P-38 is pretty fucking cool, too. I watched one at Oshkosh do aerobatics with only one engine running.

I always thought the Hawker Typhoon and the Junkers Stuka were cool as well.

Stuka was a dive bomber so no inclusion here of course. Hawker Typhoon was pretty kick ass but just not as important to the outcome of the war. P-51 is without a doubt the greatest all around piston fighter ever made, but like you I am partial to the Corsair. @Southerndawg once pointed out to me it was actually designed by a UW engineering grad and it's most famous operator was, of course, a UW guy- i.e., Pappy.
    edited June 2018
    Vought F4U Corsair
    Swaye said:

So, P-51 is the most bad ass air to air radial ever. Everyone knows that. But, and I know I am not alone in this, nothing says screaming death like close air support capable aircraft. A2A is cool or whatever in movies, but you ask any WWII island hopping Marine what the greatest sight in their life was and it was USN or USMC stamped Corsairs flying low and fast and absolutely pounding the shit out of Jap gun emplacements that had them pinned down under withering fire. CAS saves lives. American lives. The Corsair is the ultimate radial expression of that.

I flew F-18's, and HATED the fact that I couldn't fly the A-6. Glory boys all wanted F-14s, but the real life saving is done at 300 feet and 400 knots...fucking shit up. See A-10 for details.

P-51 had a liquid cooled V-12, not radial, but still...TYFYS!!

CAS planes I feel are some serious NTD, BB shit, hence my affinity for the Corsair. They were still flying those things in Korea and to great affect as you point out. Hell, the Navy was still flying A-1 Skyraiders in Vietnam. It's a shame that we've gone to the stupid jack of all trades, master of none F-35 model.

P-47 was obviously a great ground attack plane too.
  • SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,356 Founders Club
    Vought F4U Corsair

Swaye said:

So, P-51 is the most bad ass air to air radial ever. Everyone knows that. But, and I know I am not alone in this, nothing says screaming death like close air support capable aircraft. A2A is cool or whatever in movies, but you ask any WWII island hopping Marine what the greatest sight in their life was and it was USN or USMC stamped Corsairs flying low and fast and absolutely pounding the shit out of Jap gun emplacements that had them pinned down under withering fire. CAS saves lives. American lives. The Corsair is the ultimate radial expression of that.

I flew F-18's, and HATED the fact that I couldn't fly the A-6. Glory boys all wanted F-14s, but the real life saving is done at 300 feet and 400 knots...fucking shit up. See A-10 for details.

P-51 had a liquid cooled V-12, not radial, but still...TYFYS!!

CAS planes I feel are some serious NTD, BB shit, hence my affinity for the Corsair. They were still flying those things in Korea and to great affect as you point out. Hell, the Navy was still flying A-1 Skyraiders in Vietnam. It's a shame that we've gone to the stupid jack of all trades, master of none F-35 model.

P-47 was obviously a great ground attack plane too.
    Obvious oversight on my part. How could I forget the Rolls Royce Merlin engine? Don't get me started on Rolls Royce "jet" engines. Fucking spool up time from hell that REALLY REALLY sucks when trying to fly the ball. Almost killed me once in a trainer. No joke.

Hellcat is cool too. Skyraider was cool as fuck.

All my favorite planes are CAS. Skyraider, Thunderbolt, Hellcat and Corsair, giving way to the A-6, AV-8B (even though it's engines are wonky as fuck) and A-10 are the stuff of my wet dreams.

Vought F4U Corsair
    If you haven't heard a Rolls Merlin scream overhead at low altitude, you are really missing out.

Vought F4U Corsair
    I take little Yella Snow to the Museum of Flight about once a month in the winter. Best indoor playground in Seattle. He's only 4 but knows many of the planes names already.

He wants to be a pilot some day but then 6'6" - 6'7" + 20/400 will kick in.
  • GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,485 Standard Supporter
    North American P-51
    Meant to click P-38, but all good.

Ps, too much war imagery.
  • SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,356 Founders Club
    Vought F4U Corsair

I take little Yella Snow to the Museum of Flight about once a month in the winter. Best indoor playground in Seattle. He's only 4 but knows many of the planes names already.

Ejection seats can be quite fun at 6'6", if being decapitated is your thing.
    Vought F4U Corsair
    I would normally avoid a shit show like Oshkosh at all costs, but you won't ever see a collection of WWII fighters and bombers like that anywhere else.

If you haven't been, you should go at least once just to hear the Merlins and big Wright radials.
  • Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,851
    Swaye said:

https://youtu.be/CLPyf3Xj2YU
  • PurpleJPurpleJ Member Posts: 36,911 Founders Club
    Focke Wulf 190
    Focke me focke you focke everybody (except for aryans)
  • SoutherndawgSoutherndawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,279 Founders Club
    Vought F4U Corsair

Interesting article on F4U vs P51 in actual air to air combat (against each other) during the "Football War" between Honduras and El Salvador in 1969. Never sell the Corsair short. That was one badass plane in its day.

https://www.airspacemag.com/history-of-flight/last-piston-engine-dogfights-180956250/?no-ist

As @YellowSnow mentioned, the Chief Engineer for the F4U was indeed a Husky.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rex_Buren_Beisel

As was it's most famous pilot.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pappy_Boyington

Unfortunately when I think of Pappy Boyington these days I can't help but recall one of the most embarrassing and shameful progtarded things to come out of my alma mater.

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?26473-Students-reject-honor-to-Baa-Baa-Black-Sheep-hero&p=155657&viewfull=1

Thankfully public pressure mostly righted the wrong, but fer fucksake, it should have been automatic to honor the guy.
    Vought F4U Corsair

Interesting article on F4U vs P51 in actual air to air combat (against each other) during the "Football War" between Honduras and El Salvador in 1969. Never sell the Corsair short. That was one badass plane in its day.

https://www.airspacemag.com/history-of-flight/last-piston-engine-dogfights-180956250/?no-ist

As @YellowSnow mentioned, the Chief Engineer for the F4U was indeed a Husky.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rex_Buren_Beisel

As was it's most famous pilot.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pappy_Boyington

Unfortunately when I think of Pappy Boyington these days I can't help but recall one of the most embarrassing and shameful progtarded things to come out of my alma mater.

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?26473-Students-reject-honor-to-Baa-Baa-Black-Sheep-hero&p=155657&viewfull=1

Thankfully public pressure mostly righted the wrong, but fer fucksake, it should have been automatic to honor the guy.

• LebamDawgLebamDawg Member Posts: 8,664 Standard Supporter
    edited June 2018
    Write-In Option
    Fokker only because you can make better jokes about these Fokkers

https://ww2db.com/aircraft_spec.php?aircraft_model_id=m49
    Forgot link
  • PurpleJPurpleJ Member Posts: 36,911 Founders Club
    Focke Wulf 190

Wolf Fucker 190 sounded cool

Man Who Fuck Wolf is Swaye's cousin
    Vought F4U Corsair
    Swaye said:

Iceman was like a giant at 6' tall in real life. He towered over midgets like Maverick and Goose.
  • BearsWiinBearsWiin Member Posts: 5,024
    Focke Wulf 190
    Would have voted for the F8F Bearcat, but it didn't see combat in WWII. Fw190 was just the best plane, even though my personal favorite was probably the Razorback/Thunderbolt. Always liked the look of the P-38, but it couldn't turn for shit