Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Sweet 16 (late 1980's to present) - #1 Nirvana vs #5 Guns N' Roses

YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,898
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
Swaye's Wigwam

Sweet 16 (late 1980's to present) - #1 Nirvana vs #5 Guns N' Roses 48 votes

#1 Nirvana
60%
DerekJohnsonwhlinderSoutherndawgRoadDawg55Mad_SonAZDuckDennis_DeYoungUWhuskytskeetYouKnowItGladstoneCokeGreaterThanPepsidncalumni94chuckdfleaoregonblitzkriegbiak1KimsCopperPennyuziIPukeOregonGrellow 29 votes
#5 Guns N' Roses
39%
Fire_Marshall_BillSwayeCirrhosisDawgDeepSeaZBlackieTequillaBad_MotherDuckerGrundleStiltzkinKaepskneeCougzzAlexisHuskyInAZBasemanLebamDawgDoog_de_JourBearsWiinbackthepackCohen12LesGrossman 19 votes

Comments

• Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    #5 Guns N' Roses
    I will always think of the Shreve when I hear Paradise City ... that is the deciding factor for me
  • Options
    SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,062
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    #5 Guns N' Roses
    Tequilla said:

I will always think of the Shreve when I hear Paradise City ... that is the deciding factor for me

Finally a good vote.
  • Options
    SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,062
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    #5 Guns N' Roses

This one was tough. But the fact that “Welcome to Jungle” is my go-to karaoke song, my vote goes to G N’ R.

God you inspire me. Pancakes?
  • Options
    backthepackbackthepack Member Posts: 19,795
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker 5 Awesomes
    #5 Guns N' Roses
    Swaye said:

This one was tough. But the fact that “Welcome to Jungle” is my go-to karaoke song, my vote goes to G N’ R.

God you inspire me. Pancakes?

True?
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    #1 Nirvana
    Very little passion about this one either way, could have been the one and two seeds. Both bands who self destructed (if for different reasons) before putting out a huge body of work but what they did out together is fucking legendary. Ultimately smack > yayo.
  • Options
    backthepackbackthepack Member Posts: 19,795
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker 5 Awesomes
    #5 Guns N' Roses
    Fuck Nirvana that is all.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    #1 Nirvana
    dnc said:

Very little passion about this one either way, could have been the one and two seeds. Both bands who self destructed (if for different reasons) before putting out a huge body of work but what they did out together is fucking legendary. Ultimately smack > yayo.

Nirvana though had 2 great studio albums vs 1 for GNR. Nirvana basically brought a whole new genre to the forefront. GNR took Stones, Stooges, New York Dolls, Zeppelin, Aereosmith, etc, and blended it into an updated gritty and ballsy type of hard rock / metal, but I don't think it was as revolutionary as Nirvana.
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    Swaye's Wigwam
    #1 Nirvana

Boring song choice for karaoke.
  • Options
    Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 22,832
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    edited April 2018
    #5 Guns N' Roses
    My cousins friend was a total grunge fag. I remember him making fun of me for sticking with hair bands when we were drinking and driving 95 while my cousin did blow off his girlfriend's tits or whatever (only a small exaggeration) on Highway 200 in Idaho and Montana in June of '93. Backpack and Jstyles or whatever, don't act like this. Bill PSA.

Oh yeah, my point: I hated grunge and grunge snobs for a long time. Go GNR
  • Options
    Dennis_DeYoungDennis_DeYoung Member Posts: 14,754
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    #1 Nirvana
    Not even close. GnR was a good rock band in the style of other rock bands.

Nirvana changed popular music and culture.

Also, Fuck LA bands.
  • Options
    KimsCopperPennyKimsCopperPenny Member Posts: 221
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    #1 Nirvana
    Fuck ya!
  • Options
    BearsWiinBearsWiin Member Posts: 4,947
    #5 Guns N' Roses
    Absolutely easy choice. Was grunge even a thing after 1995? I still listen to Appetite Lies and Illusion, haven't heard a Nirvana song in maybe ten years
  • Options
    BearsWiinBearsWiin Member Posts: 4,947
    edited May 2018
    #5 Guns N' Roses

BearsWiin said:

Absolutely easy choice. Was grunge even a thing after 1995? I still listen to Appetite Lies and Illusion, haven't heard a Nirvana song in maybe ten years

Was GNR even a thing after 1991? No, because Nirvana killed them ded.
    GnR resuscitated hard rock when it was on life support after being pussified by hair/glam bullshit. Nirvana headed the grunge movement. Both were flavors of the month that lasted a couple years. GnR stands the test of time for me; Nirvana, not at all. Nirvana didn't kill GnR; they did it to themselves, just like Kurt

And Styx sucks
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    #1 Nirvana
    BearsWiin said:

BearsWiin said:

Was GNR even a thing after 1991? No, because Nirvana killed them ded.
    GnR resuscitated hard rock when it was on life support after being pussified by hair/glam bullshit. Nirvana headed the grunge movement. Both were flavors of the month that lasted a couple years. GnR stands the test of time for me; Nirvana, not at all. Nirvana didn't kill GnR; they did it to themselves, just like Kurt

And Styx sucks
    And GnR did a damn good job of it. I still listen to Appetite regularly. Still, Nirvana wasn't just the leader of the grunge pack, rather, they made alternative the mainstream style of the 90s, which was a YUGE deal. Hell, even by '93 GnR was doing an album of punk covers, which is a testament to Nirvana's influence.