Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Miki Ah You, 2019 3* LB, Kahuku HS, HI (COMMITTED)

Comments

• Options
    ZoneUWZoneUW Member Posts: 794
    5 Fuck Offs First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    edited December 2018

Did I read that right? 6’1” 216, running a 4.99? Small and slow...why the fuck would Pete want this kid?

He looks fast on tape, so I am not too worried about the 40.

6'1 really isn't too small for an inside linebacker at all. Bobby Wagner, arguably the best inside linebacker in the NFL, is only 6'0. Ben Burr-Kirven was listed at 6'0 but probably closer to 5'11.

Miki will add weight and his speed will improve with training from Socha, right now, he tackles well on tape and shoots to the ball carrier like a missile, I'm not too worried.
  • Options
    DooglesDoogles Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,474
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam

Did I read that right? 6’1” 216, running a 4.99? Small and slow...why the fuck would Pete want this kid?

It really isn’t. He’s not a blazer, but it’s electronic. A lot of high school football players aren’t trained to run 40’s.

He’s undersized, but he’s pretty damn quick on film. He will be good if he recovers from the ACL.

Sure tacklers who can make plays on the ball are needed on every team. This guy returns punts and looks natural.
    The one thing I'll give the camp circuit credit for is they are finally giving accurate 40 readings.

I remember the early TBS days when every 2-star to 5-star on Scout had 4.4/4.5 next to their 40 stat.
  • Options
    DomicilloDomicillo Member Posts: 3,025
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

This kid is the biggest reason I’m excited about Miki
  • Options
    PassionPassion Member Posts: 4,622
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment

I don't know whether his speed will be adequate. We're all just guessing.

But there is speed and then there is football speed. Some guys just play much faster than their 40 time suggests. My favorite all-time example is Ronnie Lott. Dude ran a 4.9.
  • Options
    greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,278
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2018
    Domicillo said:

Considered by most going into this year to be the best linebacker in Hawaii. Has great relations with many top guys out there and is actual cousins with the #1 2021 OL. Plays for the second best team in Hawaii and was willing to commit in the spring to help kick off the whole poly movement this year. His tape is way better than his measurements would project, unlike Tufono for example. Sucks he got injured and missed pretty much his whole senior season but will early enroll in January.

All of that is just stuff beyond whatever they think they can project him up to be. I trust coaches on this one and the best thing is he’s probably the fourth best LB we take this year.
    Taking the connections not the player. That actually makes s lot of sense. Don’t blame Pete for that, smart move.

Regarding the player...he’s 10-15 pounds undersized and runs a 4.99 forty when he should be around 4.7 at worst with his current build. Without illegal substances, I’d like to see how the kid gains the weight and shred his time. Again though, taking one bench warmer to build the Poly pipeline is an easy trade off. Just don’t try and sell me on the kid himself. The kid isn’t a D1 player.
  • Options
    Passion said:

I don't know whether his speed will be adequate. We're all just guessing.

But there is speed and then there is football speed. Some guys just play much faster than their 40 time suggests. My favorite all-time example is Ronnie Lott. Dude ran a 4.9.
    A 4.9 wasn’t slow in Lott’s time. Put Ronnie Lott in today’s NFL and he’s reading the back of a lot of jerseys. The new rules and speed today, makes defensive speed imperative. This has trickled into the college game as well.
  • Options
    Domicillo said:

This kid is the biggest reason I’m excited about Miki

That’s fair...taking the third wheel to get the Belle of the ball. Good for Pete by playing the long game.
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    ZoneUW said:

6'1 really isn't too small for an inside linebacker at all. Bobby Wagner, arguably the best inside linebacker in the NFL, is only 6'0. Ben Burr-Kirven was listed at 6'0 but probably closer to 5'11.

Miki will add weight and his speed will improve with training from Socha, right now, he tackles well on tape and shoots to the ball carrier like a missile, I'm not too worried.
    I should be more specific. I’d be worried about his build. 216 for 6’1” is small in college. Also, adding build AND speed is harder than you think. Those two things usually don’t correlate well.
  • Options
    ThebourbinatorThebourbinator Member Posts: 664
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes

ZoneUW said:

I should be more specific. I’d be worried about his build. 216 for 6’1” is small in college. Also, adding build AND speed is harder than you think. Those two things usually don’t correlate well.
    The goal should be for him to not touch the field until at least RS sophomore year, if not RS junior, as it should be for most these kids. Either he pans out or he doesn’t. It would be great to have kids that are 6’3” 240 and ready to rock, but they are few and far between, and sign with Bama, or if they do come to some lowly p12 program like ours they aren’t done growing and grow out of the LB position, because god hates us so we can’t have nice things. No sense getting your panties in a bundle over 1 recruit.
  • Options
    HillsboroDuckHillsboroDuck Member Posts: 9,186
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    I've just always assumed he was banged up when he ran the 4.99. There's no way we recruited someone at that size with that true speed. He's a 4.8 guy at worst IMO.
  • Options
    HoustonHuskyHoustonHusky Member Posts: 5,954
    First Anniversary First Comment Photogenic 5 Awesomes
    His shuttle speed is 4.4 and he got offered early by a ton of people including the ducks...he is plenty fast and he is fine.
  • Options
    edited December 2018

It really isn’t. He’s not a blazer, but it’s electronic. A lot of high school football players aren’t trained to run 40’s.

He’s undersized, but he’s pretty damn quick on film. He will be good if he recovers from the ACL.

Sure tacklers who can make plays on the ball are needed on every team. This guy returns punts and looks natural.
    This x 1,000,000,000. People thinking high school kids should be getting combine-level results continues to baffle me.
    I ran a 5.0 40 in high school. I was white and slow af.

There's no fucking chance Ah You is .01 ticks faster than hs me.
    If he was hurt that makes since. But a 4.99 has to atleast make you wonder. For a linebacker that 40 time is slow as fuck. There are offensive linemen with faster 40 times

Also, if you have an injury why would you even run the 40? It seems like that would do more harm than good...
  • Options

His shuttle speed is 4.4 and he got offered early by a ton of people including the ducks...he is plenty fast and he is fine.

The Ducks sent out something like 300 offers. An offer from Oregon doesn’t mean anything. Also, a 4.4 shuttle time isn’t very good. A good time for a high schooler is around 4.2. So yeah he’s slow as fuck.
  • Options
    animateanimate Member Posts: 4,231

This x 1,000,000,000. People thinking high school kids should be getting combine-level results continues to baffle me.

Was?
  • Options
    HillsboroDuckHillsboroDuck Member Posts: 9,186
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    animate said:

Was?
    I identify as black and fast now.

• Options
    animateanimate Member Posts: 4,231

animate said:

Was?
    I identify as black and fast now.

I wanna know how you pulled that off becuz I'm ready for some wholesale changes in my life ...