Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

What is your all time favorite rock band or artist that 81% or more of this bored dislikes?

Comments

• Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,357
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam

salemcoog said:

dflea said:

My first concert was Grand Funk Railroad in like 1970. My mom drove us to Seattle

I love Def Leppard. I only started listening to then this century so its still kind of new

I spent the 80's listening to funk and dance music

The very earliest stuff is the best. It got a little poppy there in the early 90s. Every fucking fraternity on campus could not stop playing "Pour Some Sugar" day and fucking night. You could hear it from the fucking Ave. Those frat boys really loved their Def Leppard back in the day.

Let it Go and High and Dry - good shit.

Fun Fact: Pete Doubleday, the managing partner of EY's Portland office, was in the band that was to become Def Leppard. The guy actually did what is the right thing for 99.999% of the people 99.999% of the time by quitting the rock business and becoming an accountant. He didn't.

But in fairness, as the managing partner in Portland, and having run their London office, he's a fairly senior guy in a global firm and is not hurting for money.
    Plus, he's alive and I'm assuming has two arms. That means he's better off than half the band.

Whatever album that was with Pour Some Sugar on it was a piece of shit. Hysteria? I knew it was garbage when the girl I was with at the time bought it. Her musical taste was horrific.

On Through The Night, High n Dry and Pyromania were all good albums, though. They got paid with Hysteria, like Metallica did with the black album. Garbage compared to their earlier work, but big sellers.

Money is bad for bands. They always make better music when they're poor.
    Entirely agree. Hysteria had some shit bubble gum music for the frat boy crowd, who eats that shit up. Rocket. Yeah. See ya later! Rocket. Yeah. See ya later. Armagedonit? Jesus. Garbage pop rock.
    And many forget that Hysteria was tanking big time. Critics ripped it and no one was buying it. That was until they released Poor Some Sugar on Me as a single. And then after that sales boomed and just about every other single got released. But that is where Def Lep died. I saw em in Eugene in 2016. Decent show. Only because they played 4 songs off of high n dry.
    Someone will have to remind me: did the drummer lose his arm before or after Pyromania? I think he was one-armed for Pyro, so I can't blame Hysteria on that I guess. Just a garbage 90s Greek Row album if I ever heard one.
    Before. The album before broke big. Not high n dry but the one that MTV broke.

He lost his arm after that tour hence the long time before hysteria which was more 87 than 90's
  • Options
    KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,750
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment

salemcoog said:

dflea said:

My first concert was Grand Funk Railroad in like 1970. My mom drove us to Seattle

I love Def Leppard. I only started listening to then this century so its still kind of new

I spent the 80's listening to funk and dance music

The very earliest stuff is the best. It got a little poppy there in the early 90s. Every fucking fraternity on campus could not stop playing "Pour Some Sugar" day and fucking night. You could hear it from the fucking Ave. Those frat boys really loved their Def Leppard back in the day.

Let it Go and High and Dry - good shit.

Fun Fact: Pete Doubleday, the managing partner of EY's Portland office, was in the band that was to become Def Leppard. The guy actually did what is the right thing for 99.999% of the people 99.999% of the time by quitting the rock business and becoming an accountant. He didn't.

But in fairness, as the managing partner in Portland, and having run their London office, he's a fairly senior guy in a global firm and is not hurting for money.
    Plus, he's alive and I'm assuming has two arms. That means he's better off than half the band.

Whatever album that was with Pour Some Sugar on it was a piece of shit. Hysteria? I knew it was garbage when the girl I was with at the time bought it. Her musical taste was horrific.

On Through The Night, High n Dry and Pyromania were all good albums, though. They got paid with Hysteria, like Metallica did with the black album. Garbage compared to their earlier work, but big sellers.

Money is bad for bands. They always make better music when they're poor.
    Entirely agree. Hysteria had some shit bubble gum music for the frat boy crowd, who eats that shit up. Rocket. Yeah. See ya later! Rocket. Yeah. See ya later. Armagedonit? Jesus. Garbage pop rock.
    And many forget that Hysteria was tanking big time. Critics ripped it and no one was buying it. That was until they released Poor Some Sugar on Me as a single. And then after that sales boomed and just about every other single got released. But that is where Def Lep died. I saw em in Eugene in 2016. Decent show. Only because they played 4 songs off of high n dry.
    Someone will have to remind me: did the drummer lose his arm before or after Pyromania? I think he was one-armed for Pyro, so I can't blame Hysteria on that I guess. Just a garbage 90s Greek Row album if I ever heard one.
    Before. The album before broke big. Not high n dry but the one that MTV broke.

He lost his arm after that tour hence the long time before hysteria which was more 87 than 90's
    He had both arms for both the making of and tour supporting Pyromania. I didn’t score tickets for the ‘83 show in Spokaloo. But I was one of the lucky ones as Elliott lost his voice and it was a shit show. Hysteria was released in ‘87 and foundered badly until the Summer of ‘88 and Sugar release. That was the first one armed drummer album for Def.
  • Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,928
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    dflea said:

I hear a lot of people bag on Tool. Not sure why - they have at least one or two albums worth of music that really fucking rocks and kicks ass.

My wife's sister went out with Joe Elliott a couple times. Nothing ever developed. He must have thought she was nothing special.

I don't get sick of awesome songs. I only get tired of songs that fall short of greatness. Sympathy for the Devil, It's a Long Way to the Top, You Got Another Thing Coming, Creeping Death, Southern Cross, Vicarious, The Zoo, and any number of other kick ass songs can play one million times and I'm right fucking there and turning it up.

I love music. And fishing. If I have those things, I don't need much else. Many people are alive today because I had AC/DC playing. True story.

I'm better at AC DC vinyl cranked up loud on my audiophile set up these days than I am at fishing right now. Doesn't require getting in the car and is not weather dependent.
  • Options
    dfleadflea Member Posts: 7,221
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes

dflea said:

I hear a lot of people bag on Tool. Not sure why - they have at least one or two albums worth of music that really fucking rocks and kicks ass.

My wife's sister went out with Joe Elliott a couple times. Nothing ever developed. He must have thought she was nothing special.

I don't get sick of awesome songs. I only get tired of songs that fall short of greatness. Sympathy for the Devil, It's a Long Way to the Top, You Got Another Thing Coming, Creeping Death, Southern Cross, Vicarious, The Zoo, and any number of other kick ass songs can play one million times and I'm right fucking there and turning it up.

I love music. And fishing. If I have those things, I don't need much else. Many people are alive today because I had AC/DC playing. True story.

I'm better at AC DC vinyl cranked up loud on my audiophile set up these days than I am at fishing right now. Doesn't require getting in the car and is not weather dependent.
    When I'm driving to the river in some bullshit weather, thinking about the comfy bed, hot coffee and breakfast I left behind, you know what's playing.

About the time you hook the first fish and it starts peeling line, though, you think that bed and coffee bullshit can go to hell.
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    edited March 2018

The Offspring are vastly underrated. One of the best mosh pits I ever experienced was at one of their shows. My buddy ended up in the ER with a fractured ulna. Unfortunate for him, but for us it meant free Oxy so we appreciated him taking one for the team

Here's my guilty pleasure from the 80s. For being a metal head I still enjoy alot of the New Wave tunes

https://youtu.be/5HI_xFQWiYU

Chinned for Offspring. I think they're hard to take seriously because Dexter had that hideous bleach jerb for so many years, but their music kicks serious ass.

Can't really pick a favorite track. This one's on the list though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40V9_1PMUGM
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    Second thought, I suppose the thread calls for this one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhYgeGT_vcU
  • Options
    Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,592
    Americana was the 2nd CD I ever bought
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    See America in concert opening for The Beach Boys and then pop off.
  • Options
    SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,064
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    And props to @Dennis_DeYoung for following instructions.
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,854

And props to @Dennis_DeYoung for following instructions.

I do that in *real* life. I don't need that in my internet world.

• Options
    GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,481
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    Now hear's some embarrassing shit, fuck off. BoomKat. Love this whole stupid album.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7xGxssZh-I