Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Laiatu Latu, 4* 2019 BUCK, Carmichael (Jesuit), CA (Committed)

Comments

• Options
    BeerThirtyBeerThirty Member Posts: 2,465
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment

Just for doogs sake, Thibedoeaux is rated the #2 buck, Latu is #6. How big is the divide between them? I know Latu is 30 pounds heavier, but probably not as much of an athletic freak

I've heard that Thibedoeaux takes plays off from time to time. Almost diva behavior. Fuck, picking a nothing program like Oregon is a diva move to the core. I think we got the better prospect in the long run. Not saying I wouldn't welcome Kayvon with open arms if he were to come here
  • Options
    ZoneUWZoneUW Member Posts: 794
    5 Fuck Offs First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes

Just for doogs sake, Thibedoeaux is rated the #2 buck, Latu is #6. How big is the divide between them? I know Latu is 30 pounds heavier, but probably not as much of an athletic freak

I've heard that Thibedoeaux takes plays off from time to time. Almost diva behavior. Fuck, picking a nothing program like Oregon is a diva move to the core. I think we got the better prospect in the long run. Not saying I wouldn't welcome Kayvon with open arms if he were to come here
    Kayvon is probably more fast twitch...
  • Options
    jhfstyle24jhfstyle24 Member Posts: 3,255
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    ZoneUW said:

Kayvon is probably more fast twitch...
    r/whoosh
  • Options
    UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,185
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited December 2018
    It's his commitment/highlight video. There seems to be a problem with the tweet itself loading *shrug.

Check out @KobeeByrd32’s Tweet:

• Options
    FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes

KT much more polished, other than that, very similar. KT maybe 5% better rn.
    Really? I think of KT first step is significant better, but he does not have the same power that this kid does.
  • Options
    animateanimate Member Posts: 4,231
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Kt when motivated sure looks like a 5*.

When motivated.
  • Options
    FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes
    edited December 2018
    animate said:

When motivated.

It is a motor thing, not everyone can play max effort every play
  • Options
    HillsboroDuckHillsboroDuck Member Posts: 9,186
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker

Some of you are fucking idiots. This kid is not a fucking Buck. He's as big or bigger than Stephon Wright and Drake Jackson. He's gonna keep getting bigger. He's the fifth defensive lineman in this class whether you like it or not. It's awesome. It's great. Another elite defensive lineman. Stop trying to fit a square peg into a round hole. He's not an OLB that will be standing up on the edge and sometimes dropping into coverage. Just stop with the stupidity. And stop mentioning Latu and Benning in the same fucking sentence. Benning is nowhere near this kid athletically.

RoofBallz confirmed one mo gain

• Options
    DoogCouricsDoogCourics Member Posts: 5,739
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Also, it's a good thing DNC is dead, because I think there must be like 400 new notifications for this thread for him.
  • Options
    LaMichael_CorleoneLaMichael_Corleone Member Posts: 1,316
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment Name Dropper

KT much more polished, other than that, very similar. KT maybe 5% better rn.
    KT is also so much more physically matured. The foods face looks like he’s my uncle. Latu just started shaving and still fighting his acne.

KT is a straight up deer playing football. He’s fast like Josh Sweat but he’s really limited in what he does as far as what he’s asked to do but also his techniques. I think that leads to his frustration which leads to his motor questions. What’s interesting to me is how much Oregon dropped Hollins and Jelks into coverage and I really just see KT as a straight forward speed guy. He’s going to need to develop a little more quickness (different from speed) and get a higher football IQ in order to play on the edge with TE’s and RBs in the flat.

Latu is almost as raw as they come where the coaches put him a ton at ILB just to go be physical and get to the ball. He’s going to need the opposite development as KT where because he played a lot of ILB, his football IQ and understand how to read blocks will be much higher than KT but he’s going to need to know how to set the edge with physicality against the run and know how to flip his hips when throwing pass rush moves.

KT is the better player right now because you can’t teach that freakish level of speed. It’s a much more moldable skill to build around and on top of but still needs to have coaches who will actually get him there. I think Latu will add size but people also fail to realize how much coaches control your diet and weight. Latu is Jojo Mathis at 6’5.5 with long arms. KT is a beefier Josh Sweat. They compared Sweat to Clowney all the time but without ANY DEVELOPMENT he’s still just Josh Sweat. If KT has a better head on his shoulders I’d take him but right now with this DL class, gimme Latu.
  • Options
    1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,300
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    animate said:

When motivated.

I think I noticed this firsthand while watching Ethan Calvert's Hudl. This was before bashing KT was a thing, so I was just watching for Calvert. 36 seconds in, though, I got awfully distracted. It's a play where the other team broke a long run or bubble or something, and Calvert is chasing down the play. Only there's this giant kid wearing number 8 who streaks through the film faster than anybody else on the whole field and gets there at the same time even though he started like five yards behind. I had one of those, "Who the hell is that!?" moments and (pathetically) checked their roster to find out that, oh, this is one of the top recruits in the country. Started the Hudl over, and check out the second play: KT pretty much destroys a pass play before it had a chance by overtaking half the opponent's OL. There's another play at 1:36. KT absolutely ragdolls the left tackle attempting to block him.

And yet he's pretty much MIA for the whole rest of the film. I think watching how a player performs when it's not his highlight reel provides a much more honest assessment. In this case, you can see times where he's just too good from a physical standpoint for the guys across from him--nobody should be that big, fast, and strong at the same time! You can also see a lot of times where he's standing around watching, losing contain, pulling up short, etc. He's also just not on the field for a surprising amount of that reel.

No way is he a bad pull for Oregon, and I'd be dooging my ballz off if he went Dwag. But the concerns are valid. It'll be a good coaching job if he reaches his physical potential.