Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Tuli and Gaines

theknowledgetheknowledge Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,573
5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
Swaye's Wigwam
Just some things I think about when I'm in the shower or right before I fall asleep. You know, while I masturbate.

If we are lucky enough to score the commitment of Tuli this next week the DL room goes from a position of "meh" to a position of optimism. Greg Gaines helped to make this all possible by coming back for his fifth year. With his decision to return we may have enough depth to redshirt both Taki and Tuli. GG as a redshirt freshman was a revelation after a year of technique building and Rhino Cum and I would expect the same from the Twin T's. Barring injuries we could go with a rotation of GG, Levi, JJ, RBowman, Bronson and JP next year. Would that be elite/ideal? No. Would the Twin T's help talent and depth next year? Yes, absolutely. But I feel that with our last year of Browning running the show you bite the bullet, stock pile your talent, take your 9-11 win year and prepare for a bright future with the winner of our QB competition in 2019.

Comments

• Options
    DooglesDoogles Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,475
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Wouldn't be surprised to see Benning Potoaae inside more too.
  • Options
    HoustonHuskyHoustonHusky Member Posts: 5,954
    First Anniversary First Comment Photogenic 5 Awesomes
    No way they both redshirt...I'd bet both to play next year (assuming Tuli comes around).

After next year Gaines, Johnson, and Bowman are all gone which means you only have Levi, a couple of walk-ons/try-hards (hopefully Bronson becomes a contributor and maybe Potoa'e moves inside), and the guys coming in this year (along with any true freshman) for 2019. That is WAY too thin on the DL...you have to get at least Taimani and Tuli PT in 2018 just to get them ready because they will be heavily depended on the following year. Liu and Bynum will both need a couple years before they can be counted on.

And lets hope Levi doesn't go too nuts to the point he could go pro early...

2019 DL class could be crazy chinteresting as well.
  • Options
    UWhuskytskeetUWhuskytskeet Member Posts: 7,108
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Answer

No way they both redshirt...I'd bet both to play next year (assuming Tuli comes around).

After next year Gaines, Johnson, and Bowman are all gone which means you only have Levi, a couple of walk-ons/try-hards (hopefully Bronson becomes a contributor and maybe Potoa'e moves inside), and the guys coming in this year (along with any true freshman) for 2019. That is WAY too thin on the DL...you have to get at least Taimani and Tuli PT in 2018 just to get them ready because they will be heavily depended on the following year. Liu and Bynum will both need a couple years before they can be counted on.

That's where the potential redshirt rules could be a lifesaver. Would make the early season scrimmages interesting too; would love to watch the freshman eat North Dakota in the second half.
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614

Taimani is almost a guaranteed redshirt. Kid doesn't know the position well. We have to get him rhino cummed up and work on his technique.

I'm guessing Tuli would play but if we had a fortunate year injury wise I could see him redshirting too.
  • Options
    dnc said:

Taimani is almost a guaranteed redshirt. Kid doesn't know the position well. We have to get him rhino cummed up and work on his technique.

I'm guessing Tuli would play but if we had a fortunate year injury wise I could see him redshirting too.
    So putting him on the scout team vs. the 2/3 deeps is going to get him ready to be a possible starter/heavy contributor in 2019? I'd say its exactly the opposite...all the more reason he should play next year and get as much PT as possible when we can afford to play him (i.e. blowouts, etc).
  • Options

dnc said:

So putting him on the scout team vs. the 2/3 deeps is going to get him ready to be a possible starter/heavy contributor in 2019? I'd say its exactly the opposite...all the more reason he should play next year and get as much PT as possible when we can afford to play him (i.e. blowouts, etc).
    He's not going to be a starter in 2019 unless we whiff on Tuli and maybe not then (and I don't think that's happening anyway).

With Tuli, best case scenario for Taimani is he's on the Levi path. Redshirt year, solid contributor as a RS Frosh, major contributor/possible starter as RS Soph.

If you're expecting him to be a starter by 2019 I think you're going to be disappointed. If he is a starter in 2019 you're going to be very disappointed. He's super raw for the position.
  • Options
    UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,258
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    dnc said:

dnc said:

He's not going to be a starter in 2019 unless we whiff on Tuli and maybe not then (and I don't think that's happening anyway).

With Tuli, best case scenario for Taimani is he's on the Levi path. Redshirt year, solid contributor as a RS Frosh, major contributor/possible starter as RS Soph.

If you're expecting him to be a starter by 2019 I think you're going to be disappointed. If he is a starter in 2019 you're going to be very disappointed. He's super raw for the position.
    Agree. 2019 might have a steep learning curve and we probably aren't going to see the dominance we are used to but the depth moving forward looks great(if we land Tuli at least good without).
  • Options
    FremontTrollFremontTroll Member Posts: 4,711
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment

There is no way Levi is leaving after 2018. He isn't even going to be a starter.

I think you're overrating the significance of scrimmage mop-up experience especially for DT/NT. More important is getting them physically ready. Mentally it is the least complicated position on the field.
  • Options

There is no way Levi is leaving after 2018. He isn't even going to be a starter.

I think you're overrating the significance of scrimmage mop-up experience especially for DT/NT. More important is getting them physically ready. Mentally it is the least complicated position on the field.
    Who's starting next to Gaines then? Can't find the snap count played but Levi had more tackles than Johnson last year...

The mop up is only a small part of it...its the practice repetitions when you are in the 2-deeps that makes the biggest difference. Its why if you have somebody you are going to be counting on (starting or first guy off the bench) in year 2 you would like to get them as much experience in year 1 as possible.

Either way it will be chinteresting...
  • Options

Who's starting next to Gaines then? Can't find the snap count played but Levi had more tackles than Johnson last year...

The mop up is only a small part of it...its the practice repetitions when you are in the 2-deeps that makes the biggest difference. Its why if you have somebody you are going to be counting on (starting or first guy off the bench) in year 2 you would like to get them as much experience in year 1 as possible.

Honestly Levi and Jaylen will probably share snaps pretty evenly next to Gaines, and all three will be out there on occasion.
    Snaps will be fairly even between those three I would guess.

But no, Levi isn't leaving earlier than Vea did.
  • Options
    ToddTurnerLIVESToddTurnerLIVES Member Posts: 438
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Name Dropper
    I would say GG, Levi and Jaylen Johnson, given the defensive scheme we play, is bordering on elite. Benning is essentially a d lineman as well.

More than enough talent at that position to think that the drop off in production with Vita leaving isn’t going to be huge.
  • Options
    FremontTrollFremontTroll Member Posts: 4,711

Yeah, obv I was referring to Jaylen. Jaylen had slightly more production last year and the fact that he is bigger than Levi I think will mean he will get more of Vita's snaps.

But even if you say he is a co-starter same difference. And he will only be a rs-soph.

I suppose it's possible he leaves after 2019- who knows that is a long ways away.
  • Options
    dnc said:

dnc said:

Sounds great, but the Levi path had Vita, Gaines, Johnson, Bowman, etc in front of him as he redshirted and then played as a RSFreshman. Literally zero chance anyone can go on that path the next two years with the shitty DL recruiting the last couple of years.

Go look at the depth after next year...on the DL ignoring this class it literally is only:
    Levi (4*)
    Josiah Bronson (walkon)
    Jason Scrempos (medically retiring soon?)
    Jared Pulu (walkon)

Maybe Potoa'e moves over, but that is still incredibly thin for a group we played 6 deep this year. Tuli and Taimani are both playing a ton in 2019 (unless you think Liu and Bynum are passing them up)...redshirting them knowing you are going to depend on them the next year just seems nuts to me.

Plus playing them allows you to balance your roster out classwise...if you redshirt them along with Liu and Bynum and you have 4 guys in the same class in basically the same position.
  • Options
    jhfstyle24jhfstyle24 Member Posts: 3,255
    We have had basically one DL a year have a much better year than expected every year under Pete. I think Levi will be that guy this year.