Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Tuli and Gaines

2»

Comments

• Options
    UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,258
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

This thread is going to be great when Tuli reaffirms his commitment to USC

I say 81% Tuli is coming. I'm just praying for him to pull Martin as well. All you've gotta do to quell a doog boner over our Dline is look at the Buck position still.
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,623
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

This thread is going to be great when Tuli reaffirms his commitment to USC

You sound like a cuog or duck troll out here to get a rise out of people out here. You won't last long out here if you're just here to stir the pot out here.
  • Options
    theknowledgetheknowledge Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,572
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam

dnc said:

dnc said:

No way they both redshirt...I'd bet both to play next year (assuming Tuli comes around).

After next year Gaines, Johnson, and Bowman are all gone which means you only have Levi, a couple of walk-ons/try-hards (hopefully Bronson becomes a contributor and maybe Potoa'e moves inside), and the guys coming in this year (along with any true freshman) for 2019. That is WAY too thin on the DL...you have to get at least Taimani and Tuli PT in 2018 just to get them ready because they will be heavily depended on the following year. Liu and Bynum will both need a couple years before they can be counted on.

And lets hope Levi doesn't go too nuts to the point he could go pro early...

2019 DL class could be crazy chinteresting as well.

Taimani is almost a guaranteed redshirt. Kid doesn't know the position well. We have to get him rhino cummed up and work on his technique.

I'm guessing Tuli would play but if we had a fortunate year injury wise I could see him redshirting too.
    So putting him on the scout team vs. the 2/3 deeps is going to get him ready to be a possible starter/heavy contributor in 2019? I'd say its exactly the opposite...all the more reason he should play next year and get as much PT as possible when we can afford to play him (i.e. blowouts, etc).
    He's not going to be a starter in 2019 unless we whiff on Tuli and maybe not then (and I don't think that's happening anyway).

With Tuli, best case scenario for Taimani is he's on the Levi path. Redshirt year, solid contributor as a RS Frosh, major contributor/possible starter as RS Soph.

If you're expecting him to be a starter by 2019 I think you're going to be disappointed. If he is a starter in 2019 you're going to be very disappointed. He's super raw for the position.
    Sounds great, but the Levi path had Vita, Gaines, Johnson, Bowman, etc in front of him as he redshirted and then played as a RSFreshman. Literally zero chance anyone can go on that path the next two years with the shitty DL recruiting the last couple of years.

Go look at the depth after next year...on the DL ignoring this class it literally is only:
    Levi (4*)
    Josiah Bronson (walkon)
    Jason Scrempos (medically retiring soon?)
    Jared Pulu (walkon)

Maybe Potoa'e moves over, but that is still incredibly thin for a group we played 6 deep this year. Tuli and Taimani are both playing a ton in 2019 (unless you think Liu and Bynum are passing them up)...redshirting them knowing you are going to depend on them the next year just seems nuts to me.

Plus playing them allows you to balance your roster out classwise...if you redshirt them along with Liu and Bynum and you have 4 guys in the same class in basically the same position.
    As I stated earlier, a year of redshirting and Rhino cum made Gaines an immediate contributor as a RSF. Tuli and Taki seem to be comparable prospects as Gaines was coming in. Hence, seems to me that a developmental year may help them be immediate 2019 assets and maybe help them avoid potential injury.
  • Options
    FremontTrollFremontTroll Member Posts: 4,711
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment

dnc said:

dnc said:

No way they both redshirt...I'd bet both to play next year (assuming Tuli comes around).

After next year Gaines, Johnson, and Bowman are all gone which means you only have Levi, a couple of walk-ons/try-hards (hopefully Bronson becomes a contributor and maybe Potoa'e moves inside), and the guys coming in this year (along with any true freshman) for 2019. That is WAY too thin on the DL...you have to get at least Taimani and Tuli PT in 2018 just to get them ready because they will be heavily depended on the following year. Liu and Bynum will both need a couple years before they can be counted on.

And lets hope Levi doesn't go too nuts to the point he could go pro early...

2019 DL class could be crazy chinteresting as well.

Taimani is almost a guaranteed redshirt. Kid doesn't know the position well. We have to get him rhino cummed up and work on his technique.

I'm guessing Tuli would play but if we had a fortunate year injury wise I could see him redshirting too.
    So putting him on the scout team vs. the 2/3 deeps is going to get him ready to be a possible starter/heavy contributor in 2019? I'd say its exactly the opposite...all the more reason he should play next year and get as much PT as possible when we can afford to play him (i.e. blowouts, etc).
    He's not going to be a starter in 2019 unless we whiff on Tuli and maybe not then (and I don't think that's happening anyway).

With Tuli, best case scenario for Taimani is he's on the Levi path. Redshirt year, solid contributor as a RS Frosh, major contributor/possible starter as RS Soph.

If you're expecting him to be a starter by 2019 I think you're going to be disappointed. If he is a starter in 2019 you're going to be very disappointed. He's super raw for the position.
    Sounds great, but the Levi path had Vita, Gaines, Johnson, Bowman, etc in front of him as he redshirted and then played as a RSFreshman. Literally zero chance anyone can go on that path the next two years with the shitty DL recruiting the last couple of years.

Go look at the depth after next year...on the DL ignoring this class it literally is only:
    Levi (4*)
    Josiah Bronson (walkon)
    Jason Scrempos (medically retiring soon?)
    Jared Pulu (walkon)

Maybe Potoa'e moves over, but that is still incredibly thin for a group we played 6 deep this year. Tuli and Taimani are both playing a ton in 2019 (unless you think Liu and Bynum are passing them up)...redshirting them knowing you are going to depend on them the next year just seems nuts to me.

Plus playing them allows you to balance your roster out classwise...if you redshirt them along with Liu and Bynum and you have 4 guys in the same class in basically the same position.
    As I stated earlier, a year of redshirting and Rhino cum made Gaines an immediate contributor as a RSF. Tuli and Taki seem to be comparable prospects as Gaines was coming in. Hence, seems to me that a developmental year may help them be immediate 2019 assets and maybe help them avoid potential injury.
    Levi and Jaylen also made positive contributions as rsF.

If Tuli or anyone else make the rotation then they should play.

OTOH you don't burn the red shirt to get experience for a half against North dakota.
  • Options
    TheDawgFan1227TheDawgFan1227 Member Posts: 335
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

Ive never heard of a P5 school starting a highly touted DT recruit as a true freshman due to depth and having a season ending injury.