Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Yale admin wants women in fraternities

Comments

• AZDuckAZDuck Member Posts: 15,381
    Big deal. They did this crap at Williams, Bowdoin, and Pomona 25 years ago.
  • PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 43,568 Standard Supporter
    Only if the Throbber is allowed to initiate new sorority members in their house.

H'eh h'eh h'eh. "Initiate".

• creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,964
    edited January 2018
    AZDuck said:

Big deal. They did this crap at Williams, Bowdoin, and Pomona 25 years ago.

It's happening at Wesleyan right now. Which is interesting if you know that collection of schools. Wes is pretty much the Berkeley of that crowd, yet, again interestingly, it's one of the last hold-outs with the Greek system (outside of Dartmouth of course). I asked someone how that could be - Bowdoin as you said blew theirs up a long time ago, and Middlebury, which is the far and away the most 'bro' LAC in New England, has also moved on (but not without a fight from the bros).

The explanation I get is that Wesleyan is so liberal that it's classically liberal, in that its student body doesn't like the man telling them what to do, even when it's something they agree with, like blowing up fraternities. Actually chintresting. "We hate them too, but you can't tell them how to run their private affairs." I like it. Still, their President will eventually prevail. Why?

Because nobody but frat boys care about frats, and most people think frat boys are annoying, because they are.

Also, we can all agree that they are liability-machines. Jeebus the frat boys know how to fuck up.
  • creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,964

Fun fact about Rugby, we helped fund our club by running security for the frats on campus when they threw parties.

It was the definitely one of the coolest gigs I ever had. Hang out at a party and stay *marginally sober*, pick up on all kinds of sorority girls, "Oh you aren't in a frat? Oooohhhh you play rugby? AND You have your own place? Can we go back there after the party?", and get to toss frat guys who got too drunk and/or handsy.

Also, I didn't have to put up with any of the stupid frat rules, hierarchy, or eating of the gookie cookies. 10 for 10 would recommend to anyone going into college to join rugby just for that reason alone.

and right there was my reason. most of my HS buddies at the U (we called it that back in my day) were Fijis, and I got to party there anyway ... but w/o some dipshit telling me to mop up puke.

there was a piece in the Times a little while back on this kid who dropped out of Dartmouth and covered his travels in a Dartmouth frat. The shit that kid did was beyond anything I've ever heard of, and I've heard a lot. have to ask yourself how anyone with their shit together enough to just get into the Ivy League or its equivalent could lack the backbone to just say, "fuck off. i'm not drinking puke and I'm not swimming in puke and piss. sorry." it seems pretty straight forward.
  • UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 15,399 Swaye's Wigwam

Fun fact about Rugby, we helped fund our club by running security for the frats on campus when they threw parties.

It was the definitely one of the coolest gigs I ever had. Hang out at a party and stay *marginally sober*, pick up on all kinds of sorority girls, "Oh you aren't in a frat? Oooohhhh you play rugby? AND You have your own place? Can we go back there after the party?", and get to toss frat guys who got too drunk and/or handsy.

Also, I didn't have to put up with any of the stupid frat rules, hierarchy, or eating of the gookie cookies. 10 for 10 would recommend to anyone going into college to join rugby just for that reason alone.

and right there was my reason. most of my HS buddies at the U (we called it that back in my day) were Fijis, and I got to party there anyway ... but w/o some dipshit telling me to mop up puke.

there was a piece in the Times a little while back on this kid who dropped out of Dartmouth and covered his travels in a Dartmouth frat. The shit that kid did was beyond anything I've ever heard of, and I've heard a lot. have to ask yourself how anyone with their shit together enough to just get into the Ivy League or its equivalent could lack the backbone to just say, "fuck off. i'm not drinking puke and I'm not swimming in puke and piss. sorry." it seems pretty straight forward.
    Most of our academis system is set up for people who follow rules well to be the ones to succeed. What intelligent young person is good at following rules and doing as they are told?
  • YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 34,971 Founders Club

Apparently some years before I got to UDub, row boat used to have "exchanges" with various sororities but by my time they were out of program. Not sure why. So every weekend was a party with the same crew chicks. Incestuous I tell you. No offense intended BTW, Creep.
  • greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,309
    "That's a bold strategy Cotton. Let's see if it pays off"

Apparently some years before I got to UDub, row boat used to have "exchanges" with various sororities but by my time they were out of program. Not sure why. So every weekend was a party with the same crew chicks. Incestuous I tell you. No offense intended BTW, Creep.
    Huh, funny, while I was there Crew was legendary for throwing their own parties which were open to all. We started running security for them towards the end of my years because the parties got so big. You could pick up on just about any type of girl at a crew party because literally anyone that partied would end up at one at some point.

Rugby parties were a completely different animal. It's tradition to have the opposing team over after the game for a party. A barbarians game played by gentlemen and all.
  • DooglesDoogles Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,545 Founders Club

Huh, funny, while I was there Crew was legendary for throwing their own parties which were open to all. We started running security for them towards the end of my years because the parties got so big. You could pick up on just about any type of girl at a crew party because literally anyone that partied would end up at one at some point.

Rugby parties were a completely different animal. It's tradition to have the opposing team over after the game for a party. A barbarians game played by gentlemen and all.
    Probably my favorite rugby song.

Jesus can't play rugby because he has holes in his hands!

Jesus can't play rugby because the Jew won't pay his dues!

Jesus can't play rugby because he wears illegal head gear!

Jesus can't play rugby because his dad will fix the game!

Jesus can't play rugby because the uprights give him flashbacks!
  • YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 34,971 Founders Club

There were some epic parties mind you- e.g., Opening Day was usually off the hook. And we did get other non crew peeps to come out and party. But I think I just happened to fall into a relative lull on the party scene. Sounds like the 2000's were better party wise.

Rugby as "security"...love it.
    Doogles said:

Probably my favorite rugby song.

Jesus can't play rugby because he has holes in his hands!

Jesus can't play rugby because the Jew won't pay his dues!

Jesus can't play rugby because he wears illegal head gear!

Jesus can't play rugby because his dad will fix the game!

Jesus can't play rugby because the uprights give him flashbacks!
    Definitely one of my favorites. Some of the more creative lines might have even made members of HH blush.

There were some epic parties mind you- e.g., Opening Day was usually off the hook. And we did get other non crew peeps to come out and party. But I think I just happened to fall into a relative lull on the party scene. Sounds like the 2000's were better party wise.

Rugby as "security"...love it.
    You know how I know our football team sucked back then? We had ZERO fear of them when they attended a frat party.
  • SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,357 Founders Club

This is the kind of pro tip I live for. Where you 25 years ago when I needed this advice?
  • Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,852
    edited January 2018
    Holy fucking Christ.

This whole board is infested with GDIs.

You join a fraternity so you can party every day and fuck the hottest girls on campus.