Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Rose Bowl Superiority Guy

UW is going to be the consensus favorite to win the PAC-12 in 2018, and given that the conference’s overall weakness likely limits the possibility of playoff eligibility, the Huskies could play in the Rose Bowl for the first time since the 2001 season.

Representing the conference in the Rose Bowl is familiar territory for longtime Dawg fans, but it’s been a long time since the Huskies have been back. Mostly to rub salt in @YellowSnow’s gaping “I’ve never been to the Rose Bowl” wound, I wonder who is HH’s REAL Rose Bowl Superioity Guy in terms of games attended.

I’ve attended six Rose Bowls: UW 1991, 1992 and 2001 seasons. Given my home field advantage and USC graduate school, I also attended USC-Texas (2005 season), USC-Illinois (2007 season), and USC-Penn St. (2016 season).

UW has gone to seven Rose Bowls starting with the Don James era, so I assume some of you have gone to more total and way more UW Rose Bowls. True? Also, what Rose Bowl was the first that @RaceBannon attended? No way it was the 1959 or 1960 Huskies. Maybe the 1963 Rose Bowl team in the Jim Owens era? He may have been to 8 or more Rose Bowls total with UW playing.

Who is Rose Bowl Superiority Guy?

Comments

• CirrhosisDawgCirrhosisDawg Member Posts: 6,390
    edited January 2018

Which one of you assholes made this shirt BTW?

I remember that shirt. It had a useful life longer than the 1981 team. I associate it with a certain invite-only social organization on 17th Avenue. “Bring it on home for the dawgs!”
  • dannarcdannarc Member Posts: 2,360
  • TTJTTJ Member Posts: 4,797

any uw fan who has been to more than 1 is old as fuck

Guilty as charged. I attended the RBs following the ‘90 (UW v Iowa) and ‘00 (UW v Purdue) seasons. Been to one regular season game in Pasadena (UW v Ucla ‘99) as well.

• RhythmicSlappingDawgRhythmicSlappingDawg Member Posts: 1,176
    Go to the fiesta bowel and then pop off!
  • LesGrossmanLesGrossman Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,477 Founders Club
    Three - '90, '91, and '92.

The first football game I can remember watching on TV was the Rose Bowl after the '77 season.
  • LebamDawgLebamDawg Member Posts: 8,664 Standard Supporter
    Went to only one - the last of the 3 in a row. Fucking Michigan. the early year games I did watch on TV. damn I be old too
  • DooglesDoogles Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,545 Founders Club
    Only been to the Fiesta.

I may be doing the big game thing wrong, but I barely remember any of them.
  • whlinderwhlinder Member Posts: 4,597 Standard Supporter
    My Grandfather made it to the 1937 one against Pittsburgh.

Because he played for Pittsburgh.

I did the Peach last year and stupidly the 1999 Holiday Bowl but not the Rose the next year.
  • DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 62,399 Founders Club

Going with the season not the Jan 1 year date I've been to fewer than you think. My folks went to 1960 and I got left home with grandma

I've been to 80, 81, 90, 92, 2000 with the 84 Orange Bowl thrown in.

Missed 77 and 91 because in one of the great suck up moves I gave my 91 tickets to my boss

I got NBA Finals and the 1995 one game division playoff against the Angels back from him so it worked out

I wanted to watch the national championship at home with the whole family getting fucked up

I vote for the 1977 team as best UW game ever. The REAL Michael Jackson sealed it. As a Pasadena resident, I get to play catch with my son on the Rose Bowl field once a year. I stand on the exact spot where MJ intercepted Rick leach. He doesn’t give a shit. I’ll never forget.

• DawgWagonDanDawgWagonDan Member Posts: 789
    edited January 2018

Browning's form has fallen off considerably since this photo was taken. I didn't realize Jake and Bo were so close.
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 104,492 Founders Club
    whlinder said:

My Grandfather made it to the 1937 one against Pittsburgh.

Because he played for Pittsburgh.

I did the Peach last year and stupidly the 1999 Holiday Bowl but not the Rose the next year.

My dad was a manager on the Husky squad that played Pitt

I did the Peach and Fiesta in the new era

The Freedom in 89 was the only minor bowl I went to