Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

We?re not making the tourney this year, but it's nice to be back in the discussion

Comments

• haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,350
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Only showed up to see if 206 had killed himself yet. Leaving disappointed.
  • KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,750
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Shenexon said:

I also heard from an SU fan that lives in Seattle that the crowd for WSU was loud and full of energy. I hope that continues to build. You guys can make a difference...

Only if Kim Grinolds says the Dawgpack is back!!!!!
  • uziuzi Member Posts: 1,298
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Shenexon said:

I also heard from an SU fan that lives in Seattle that the crowd for WSU was loud and full of energy. I hope that continues to build. You guys can make a difference...

Why do I get the feeling that the main reason Syracuse fans are watching Hopkins at Washington, is because they are hoping to lure him back in a couple of years when there is a HC opening there?
  • UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,103
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    BaldwinIV said:

uzi said:

Shenexon said:

Why do I get the feeling that the main reason Syracuse fans are watching Hopkins at Washington, is because they are hoping to lure him back in a couple of years when there is a HC opening there?
    Read their forums and take their word at face value, if you do that they seem to be genuinely fond of him both as a former player and long time loyal assistant.
    whynotboth.gif
  • RoadTripRoadTrip Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,162
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    edited February 2018
    dnc said:
    Bowie disagrees

22 regular season wins
  • LaZorisLaZoris Member Posts: 1,626
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Standard Supporter
    edited February 2018

I see the combo of Hop and his defense in a very hollow gym atmosphere(pac12 tourney) being a very good combo for the huskies. It's hard enough to beat a very disciplined defensive team, let alone when you're shooting in a weird gym with odd backdrop. I also want to BRBJO for saying disciplined defensive team. It's so foreign. Disciplined defensive team. Yup, still feels good.

This used to be one of my favorite doog excuses from about 10 yrs ago... Hope to see other teams using it against MY DWAGS!
  • 2001400ex2001400ex Member Posts: 29,457

Tequilla said:

Arizona is unlikely as a win ... but obviously if we can somehow pull that one off the tournament path goes from "work to do" to "don't fuck it up"

The keys to me going forward are the at Stanford, home vs Utah, and home vs Oregon. The 2 games against the Beavs, at Cal, and Colorado are games that we need to get. No excuses for any of those. Of the above, if we can somehow pull 2 of those games then I'm really liking our chances and that might get us up into an 8/9 type range and away from the play in game.

The worst case scenario to me would be getting to 11-7 or 12-6 in conference, losing at Stanford for the season sweep, and then having to play them in either the 3/6 or 4/5 game in Vegas and losing to them again. That's where I think it might get dicey. Same obviously if Oregon sweeps us and then the same scenario plays out in Vegas.

Where myself and many diehard UW fans have gone wrong is the crutch of feeling romar UW teams. We're used to the easy wins(aka home games) and the verifiable road losses. What Hop has brought into the equation that all of us have purely forgotten is that he will put a mediocre team on the floor and make it competitive every night. It's not to say the guys on the floor are shit, but comparatively in recruiting world they are not on par with many teams they face. Hop has put in a system with discipline and teamwork which makes close games turn into wins that romar would have never sniffed.

Everyone, even the doogliest of doogs complained about romar and late game decisions, or time outs or out of bounds plays. Nobody sees that right now and those 6 extra points win the ASU game. It's very subtle because we don't have a #1 draft pick, but it wins ballgames which is what people give a fuck about.

The game isn't about winning by 20, it's about being competitive every night and giving our? guys a chance to win. That's what hop has brought this team and i hope to see as he progresses in recruiting.
    How many times in the last 5 years did we watch Romar lose when up 3 with under 20 seconds to go. I bet he was under 50% in that scenario.

Not to mention that if he were ever up 10, 12, 14 points and the other team came back, like what happened against both zona and ASU, there's zero chance we would win.

The last few years, the common theme on Romars team was not getting back on defense, giving the other team so many easy fast break points. Zero hustle or try hard on the teams. Hop has completely changed that, these kids fight hard every night.

@Shenexon is hustling a Jim bieheim thing too? Or something different Hopkins is bringing to the table?
  • NeGgaPlEaSeNeGgaPlEaSe Member Posts: 5,729
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Tequilla said:

Arizona is unlikely as a win ... but obviously if we can somehow pull that one off the tournament path goes from "work to do" to "don't fuck it up"

The keys to me going forward are the at Stanford, home vs Utah, and home vs Oregon. The 2 games against the Beavs, at Cal, and Colorado are games that we need to get. No excuses for any of those. Of the above, if we can somehow pull 2 of those games then I'm really liking our chances and that might get us up into an 8/9 type range and away from the play in game.

The worst case scenario to me would be getting to 11-7 or 12-6 in conference, losing at Stanford for the season sweep, and then having to play them in either the 3/6 or 4/5 game in Vegas and losing to them again. That's where I think it might get dicey. Same obviously if Oregon sweeps us and then the same scenario plays out in Vegas.

Hop tells teq to fuck off
  • 2001400ex2001400ex Member Posts: 29,457
    Shenexon said:

2001400ex said:

Tequilla said:

Where myself and many diehard UW fans have gone wrong is the crutch of feeling romar UW teams. We're used to the easy wins(aka home games) and the verifiable road losses. What Hop has brought into the equation that all of us have purely forgotten is that he will put a mediocre team on the floor and make it competitive every night. It's not to say the guys on the floor are shit, but comparatively in recruiting world they are not on par with many teams they face. Hop has put in a system with discipline and teamwork which makes close games turn into wins that romar would have never sniffed.

Everyone, even the doogliest of doogs complained about romar and late game decisions, or time outs or out of bounds plays. Nobody sees that right now and those 6 extra points win the ASU game. It's very subtle because we don't have a #1 draft pick, but it wins ballgames which is what people give a fuck about.

The game isn't about winning by 20, it's about being competitive every night and giving our? guys a chance to win. That's what hop has brought this team and i hope to see as he progresses in recruiting.
    How many times in the last 5 years did we watch Romar lose when up 3 with under 20 seconds to go. I bet he was under 50% in that scenario.

Not to mention that if he were ever up 10, 12, 14 points and the other team came back, like what happened against both zona and ASU, there's zero chance we would win.

The last few years, the common theme on Romars team was not getting back on defense, giving the other team so many easy fast break points. Zero hustle or try hard on the teams. Hop has completely changed that, these kids fight hard every night.

@Shenexon is hustling a Jim bieheim thing too? Or something different Hopkins is bringing to the table?
    Tough defense is a Boeheim thing and hustle is part of his mantra, but Hopkins was one of the people that made that happen on a real level. Hopkins was all hustle when he was a player and inspired SU players to hustle in every practice. He ran practices for Boeheim for a decade I think. Both are very competitive guys and bring that out in kids.

They want to win every loose ball, every rebound, every shot, and every game. Hopkins is more positive and charismatic than Boeheim, who comes off as an old curmudgeon, but they both sell that the game is won or lost with every loose ball.

I loved Hopkins post-game thank you's to the crowd last nite. The crowd can be a huge advantage and he seems to have the crowd rocking. Our team is suffering horribly this year but we still had 27,000 at a game yesterday. Hopkins helped to build that kind of fan support...
    Watching him on the court last night after the game surrounded by the students. Then giving a shout-out to the fans was pretty awesome to watch.

The more I think about the game, it was impressive how average they made Ayton look. Part of that was Dickerson just straight up ballin. But on paper we shouldn't be able to compete against ristic and Ayton. I didn't realize Ayton is supposed to be the number 1 pick until after the game.
  • dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes