Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

What today's Stanford game showed me in regards to UW

Sark doesn't know what he wants to be. His first three years he wanted to be like what USC/Stanford are. A pro style offense who runs a 4-3 defense which is going to be big and physical.

Then Wilcox comes in so on defense we run a 3-4 look a lot with an emphasis on speed, speed, speed. Offense remained the same though.

Now in year five the offense has completely changed to resemble Oregon. Initially it worked against crappy teams but you are seeing the same results against good defenses. Which is UW can move the ball but not scoring nearly enough points.

This is what drives me crazy about the Sark fans most. They can't name me one thing that a Sark team does really well. I guess running the ball I'll give him credit for that although our rushing rankings aren't as good as Doogs think.

I've always said if you took away the names on the back of the jersey's you couldn't tell the difference between year one and year five if you were watching the tape.

I look at several coaches who have taken over much worse programs with much worse tradition than ours who have turned their program around.

Even AVERAGE coaches who I wouldn't want like Pinkel, Riley, Leach have taken average/bad programs to 10 win seasons.

Sark in five years most likely won't have a single team that finishes the year ranked in the polls. Lambright managed to do that twice(was also ranked every week in 1994 and 1995 and fell out of final polls).

I said it a while back but for those Doogs who just want to beat Oregon as nothing else matters you better hope Sark is gone. You saw it today on how to beat Oregon. You better have a bad ass fucking OL who can control the clock and wear Oregon down. A coach who is committed to being "boring" like Shaw was today and continue to dial up one run play after another. You also need a bad ass DL who can shut down Oregon's run game while putting pressure on their QB. You also need to be self disciplined with no minimal mistakes meaning turnovers and penalties both areas Sark teams always struggle at.

Sure, UW can hang with the new best team in the conference but who gives a fuck? What does it matter if UW is still years and years away from Oregon, still getting plunger raped on the road every time they face a decent opponent. The Huskies are close and can actually contend for conference titles once they hire a coach who realizes the game still hasn't changed. The game is still about who has the tough guys up front. Mora gets that, that is why he'll be competing for a Rose Bowl every year he is coaching at UCLA.

It doesn't even have to be Mora to come here necessarily. Just we need a coach who understands that winning football is still the same regarding OL/DL. With Sark he'll never get it. He hasn't gotten it so far in five fucking years and he'll never understand that. When UW finally opens a season where I'm excited about the NFL prospects of 2-3 OL and 2-3 DL then I'll know UW is actually serious about contending for a conference title. Until that happens we are just fucking wasting our time.

Comments

• oregonblitzkriegoregonblitzkrieg Member Posts: 15,288
    edited November 2013

Sark doesn't know what he wants to be. His first three years he wanted to be like what USC/Stanford are. A pro style offense who runs a 4-3 defense which is going to be big and physical.

Be like Stanford. I think you already know this. Stop trying to be Oregon, start trying to be Stanford.

You saw it today on how to beat Oregon. You better have a bad ass fucking OL who can control the clock and wear Oregon down. A coach who is committed to being "boring" like Shaw was today and continue to dial up one run play after another. You also need a bad ass DL who can shut down Oregon's run game while putting pressure on their QB. You also need to be self disciplined with no minimal mistakes meaning turnovers and penalties both areas Sark teams always struggle at.

Today's revolting performance by Oregon should prove beyond any reasonable doubt that the SEC has it right. So does Stanford. Play pro style ground and pound or go home. Who gives a fuck about beating Oregon. Oregon is officially on the decline and has been since it lost against Stanford last season. Losses to Auburn, to LSU, to Stanford 2 years in a row, all teams which are built and play similarly, is fairly definitive proof that the Oregon system really is a gimmick that will not win Oregon a championship. This may start to affect recruiting as it becomes more and more clear that this is a system that will get you wins, but it won't get you the important ones. If your goal is the Rose Bowl, then it's a fine system. If your goal is the championship, try something else.

• dhdawgdhdawg Member Posts: 13,326
    Wait, what? Stanford controls it's own destiny to another pac-12 title game? I thought you couldn't win without shiny new uniforms and a bad ass spread hurry up attack
  • I think this "gimmick" is still pretty damn good considering you'll have your fifth year in a row in a BCS game and in the top 10.

Oregon will never be able to bring in top notch recruits on a consistent basis to play "straight up".

I think Oregon is on the slight decline but I also thought Stanford was when Harbaugh left so what the fuck do I know?

One thing I do know is that UW will never sniff a BCS game with Sark because he doesn't value line play.

With a new head coach I'd gut the staff save for Wilcox and maybe Tosh(only because this was our first good DL recruiting class in forever). Although if the new coach wanted to part ways with Tosh it wouldn't bug me either.
  • dhdawgdhdawg Member Posts: 13,326
    Shaw fucked up their season. Stanford was dominating Utah on the ground, don't throw it on 3rd and 4th and 2 from this 6 shaw. Don't do it, if he runs it they're at least #3 maybe even up to #2/1
  • dhdawg said:

Shaw fucked up their season. Stanford was dominating Utah on the ground, don't throw it on 3rd and 4th and 2 from this 6 shaw. Don't do it, if he runs it they're at least #3 maybe even up to #2/1

He's like a slightly worse version of Pete Carroll. Carroll always won the big games but would slip up to some average team on the road where after the game you were scratching your head at some of his decisions.

Start Hogan over Nunes last year vs UW, pound the ball vs Utah this year and Stanford is playing for back to back national titles possibly.

I think this "gimmick" is still pretty damn good considering you'll have your fifth year in a row in a BCS game and in the top 10.

I think we'll be lucky to even make it to a BCS bowl this year. At this point I don't think we deserve to be in one. The sloppy play was noticeable in every game, and this time Oregon was punished for it. Sure it's nice to be in those bowls, but it is so fucking frustrating to be THAT close to the championship every year for the past 4 years and then fucking it up every single year. We had our chances and we failed. I don't see Oregon winning a championship with this system in place. Maybe next year there'll be a shot with the 4 team playoff but Oregon will be losing a lot of talent and we don't know the true nature of Mark Helfrich as a coach just yet.
  • I don't see anyone on Oregon's remaining schedule beating them so they'll be in a BCS bowl game.

You'll smash Utah, should smash Arizona on the road and the Beavers at home are pretenders. Oregon won't be challenged the rest of the year.

They are just hoping Stanford loses at USC because their other conference game is hosting Cal. They also host Notre Dame but that doesn't affect Oregon.

The Pac-12 South still has four teams who are fighting for the right to play at Stanford or at Oregon.
    edited November 2013

They are just hoping Stanford loses at USC because their other conference game is hosting Cal. They also host Notre Dame but that doesn't affect Oregon.

Yep we're used to this by now. Waiting and hoping for the stars to align and other teams to lose the games they need to lose. This year was the year to do it. Respect enough in the polls to keep Oregon at 2 for most of the year. Oregon was simply driving too fast a car a little too recklessly and it ran into a train. I'm not holding my breath. I expect Stanford to host the PAC 12 title game again, and Ohio State vs Baylor to play in the national championship game. Yay. I'd rather get fucked by a yeti than watch that game.

• They are just hoping Stanford loses at USC because their other conference game is hosting Cal. They also host Notre Dame but that doesn't affect Oregon.

Yep we're used to this by now. Waiting and hoping for the stars to align and other teams to lose the games they need to lose. This year was the year to do it. Respect enough in the polls to keep Oregon at 2 for most of the year. Oregon was simply driving too fast a car a little too recklessly and it ran into a train. I'm not holding my breath. I expect Stanford to host the PAC 12 title game again, and Ohio State vs Baylor to play in the national championship game. Yay. I'd rather get fucked by a yeti than watch that game.

You misspelled "Alabama" and "Florida State". Also save the crying about the Ducks loss for eDuck.

I wanted this post to show how far UW needs to go to get to this point. That despite what fucking idiot doogs think the game of football hasn't changed.
    edited November 2013

You misspelled "Alabama" and "Florida State". Also save the crying about the Ducks loss for eDuck.

I wanted this post to show how far UW needs to go to get to this point. That despite what fucking idiot doogs think the game of football hasn't changed.
    Sorry for hijacking your post. But I think FSU will drop a game at Florida and Bama to possibly lose to LSU.
  • SoutherndawgSoutherndawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,293 Founders Club

Sorry for hijacking your post. But I think FSU will drop a game at Florida and Bama to possibly lose to LSU.
    Seriously?
  • topdawgnctopdawgnc Member Posts: 7,838

I'm sorry but the tears in your eyes caused you to have a mistype.
  • dncdnc Member Posts: 56,650

Quooks gotta Quook

• CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,130 Founders Club

Then Wilcox comes in so on defense we run a 3-4 look a lot with an emphasis on speed, speed, speed. Offense remained the same though.

Now in year five the offense has completely changed to resemble Oregon. Initially it worked against crappy teams but you are seeing the same results against good defenses. Which is UW can move the ball but not scoring nearly enough points.

This is what drives me crazy about the Sark fans most. They can't name me one thing that a Sark team does really well. I guess running the ball I'll give him credit for that although our rushing rankings aren't as good as Doogs think.

I've always said if you took away the names on the back of the jersey's you couldn't tell the difference between year one and year five if you were watching the tape.

I look at several coaches who have taken over much worse programs with much worse tradition than ours who have turned their program around.

Even AVERAGE coaches who I wouldn't want like Pinkel, Riley, Leach have taken average/bad programs to 10 win seasons.

Sark in five years most likely won't have a single team that finishes the year ranked in the polls. Lambright managed to do that twice(was also ranked every week in 1994 and 1995 and fell out of final polls).

I said it a while back but for those Doogs who just want to beat Oregon as nothing else matters you better hope Sark is gone. You saw it today on how to beat Oregon. You better have a bad ass fucking OL who can control the clock and wear Oregon down. A coach who is committed to being "boring" like Shaw was today and continue to dial up one run play after another. You also need a bad ass DL who can shut down Oregon's run game while putting pressure on their QB. You also need to be self disciplined with no minimal mistakes meaning turnovers and penalties both areas Sark teams always struggle at.

Sure, UW can hang with the new best team in the conference but who gives a fuck? What does it matter if UW is still years and years away from Oregon, still getting plunger raped on the road every time they face a decent opponent. The Huskies are close and can actually contend for conference titles once they hire a coach who realizes the game still hasn't changed. The game is still about who has the tough guys up front. Mora gets that, that is why he'll be competing for a Rose Bowl every year he is coaching at UCLA.

It doesn't even have to be Mora to come here necessarily. Just we need a coach who understands that winning football is still the same regarding OL/DL. With Sark he'll never get it. He hasn't gotten it so far in five fucking years and he'll never understand that. When UW finally opens a season where I'm excited about the NFL prospects of 2-3 OL and 2-3 DL then I'll know UW is actually serious about contending for a conference title. Until that happens we are just fucking wasting our time.

The only thing I disagree with is that I think Sark understands but can't execute it on the recruiting front and is so full of himself that he thinks he can get around it with schemes.

Bottom line is Sark sucks.
  • alumni94alumni94 Member Posts: 4,858
    Wins and Loses don't matter. Pac-12 and National Championships matter. Oregon hasn't figured that out yet.
  • RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member Posts: 30,123

You're overreacting a little bit to one loss. It's hard to go undefeated and win a championship. Stanford was better and deserved to win, but if Mariota hits Huff on the first series, and DAT doesn't fumble inside the five, the game could have been different. Tom Osbourne didn't win his first championship until late in his career. I'm sure there were some Nebraska fans like you crying about how his system doesn't work. If you have a system that is consistently getting you to BCS bowl games (and a championship game), the system works.Your system is not the problem. You got out toughed. Your DL got pushed around the entire game.

Nice logic putting Baylor is the championship game. Oregon's system doesn't work, but Baylor's does? Step away from the keyboard for a few day and talk a walk with your boyfriend to get some perspective.
  • topdawgnctopdawgnc Member Posts: 7,838

You're overreacting a little bit to one loss. It's hard to go undefeated and win a championship. Stanford was better and deserved to win, but if Mariota hits Huff on the first series, and DAT doesn't fumble inside the five, the game could have been different. Tom Osbourne didn't win his first championship until late in his career. I'm sure there were some Nebraska fans like you crying about how his system doesn't work. If you have a system that is consistently getting you to BCS bowl games (and a championship game), the system works.Your system is not the problem. You got out toughed. Your DL got pushed around the entire game.

Nice logic putting Baylor is the championship game. Oregon's system doesn't work, but Baylor's does? Step away from the keyboard for a few day and talk a walk with your boyfriend to get some perspective.
    Marriott was hurried ... Stanford's pressure and D caused that incomplete.

DAT got stripped ... Stanford's physical play caused that fumble.

Oregon never had a chance in this game.
  • The_UndertakerThe_Undertaker Member Posts: 521
    edited November 2013
    I've been saying this for 3 years at least. This team doesn't have an identity. Sark doesn't have an identity. He comes into the season with a plan, fails, fails more, then adjusts to play to his team strength (usually the running back) when thats the only thing left to do. It is mind boggling for a so called offensive genius.
  • TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680

RoadDawg55 has reached Tequilla territory in this thread.
  • RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member Posts: 30,123

RoadDawg55 has reached Tequilla territory in this thread.
    Don't agree. I think it is stupid to blame the loss on your system and that Oregon is fucked forever. The system was not the problem. All of this talk about how Oregon has a great defense was false. UW, UCLA, and Stanford have shown you can run on them. They need to recruit and develop a better DL and LB's. For the past 5 years, Oregon has gone to BCS Bowls, and will go again this year. When you consistently put yourself in contention, eventually you should break through. This same system that Blitzkrieg is criticizing, is the same system that has been used during Oregon's greatest run they have ever had. They should maybe tweak their system, not overhaul it.