Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Comic writer thinks the Greatest Generation was nothing speshial

13»

Comments

• SledogSledog Member Posts: 33,080 Standard Supporter

Greatest generation slew Nazis and Japs. Baby boomers got defeated by Viet Cong. Winners win. Losers lose.

I like you @obk but come on man - you're never going to make it in the higher level history discussion bored making terrible historical comparisons like this. For Christ's sake, we dropped far more tonnage on bombs in Indochina than we ever did against Japan and Germany combined. The Boomers weren't the ones making the policy decisions and strategy as it related to Vietnam. Those guys- i.e., LBJ, McNamara, Dean Rusk, McGeorge Bundy, Westmorland, etc, were all Greatest Generation or earlier. The Boomers were just the cannon fodder, but they did fight in Vietnam with just as much skill and bravery as the WWII guys did against the Japanese and Nazis.

The problem was we didn't let the military run the war. We bombed empty jungle instead of Hanoi or Haiphong. We brought them to the peace talk table by bombing those targets.
  • dfleadflea Member Posts: 7,228

Greatest generation slew Nazis and Japs. Baby boomers got defeated by Viet Cong. Winners win. Losers lose.

I like you @obk but come on man - you're never going to make it in the higher level history discussion bored making terrible historical comparisons like this. For Christ's sake, we dropped far more tonnage on bombs in Indochina than we ever did against Japan and Germany combined. The Boomers weren't the ones making the policy decisions and strategy as it related to Vietnam. Those guys- i.e., LBJ, McNamara, Dean Rusk, McGeorge Bundy, Westmorland, etc, were all Greatest Generation or earlier. The Boomers were just the cannon fodder, but they did fight in Vietnam with just as much skill and bravery as the WWII guys did against the Japanese and Nazis.

obk is a fucking retard. Ask him about his valiant service on the battlefield.
  • YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 34,940 Founders Club
    Sledog said:

The problem was we didn't let the military run the war. We bombed empty jungle instead of Hanoi or Haiphong. We brought them to the peace talk table by bombing those targets.
    And that's the point here. The Boomer's parents weren't braver or more heroic per say, rather, they got to fight in the "good" and "total" war where there were no political constraints whatsoever about the enemy's civilian population and/or allies. The only way we could have "won" in Vietnam would have been to invade the North with ground troops and thus fight China all over again. Cost / benefit analysis didn't make sense for that.