Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

The Lake is Hurting UW Theory - STOp

Comments

• Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

Also - if you aren't having that hard a time doing those two contingent calcs... you could add another CRAZY one in there...

What are we paying Lake vs. what we would pay Alexander? Could that $$ be used on upgrades or for the 10th coach?

I fucking love Jimmy Lake and I don't want him to leave, but you guys are as bad as Doogs with this shit.

I need a lot more proof that Gerald Alexander is an elite DB coach before I consider swapping them out.

Coker's plan of hiring him as the 10th coach is fanfuckingtastic to me. I'm fine with him as the backup plan to Lake, and bringing in another recruiter is always a win. Getting rid of Lake a day before he chooses to LEAVE! is a non starter.

Lake is a top 3 coach on staff and a top 3 recruiter on staff. It's going to take more than one bad recruiting class for me to decide to MOVE! on from that guy.
  • Options

dnc said:

Also - if you aren't having that hard a time doing those two contingent calcs... you could add another CRAZY one in there...

What are we paying Lake vs. what we would pay Alexander? Could that $$ be used on upgrades or for the 10th coach?

I fucking love Jimmy Lake and I don't want him to leave, but you guys are as bad as Doogs with this shit.

I need a lot more proof that Gerald Alexander is an elite DB coach before I consider swapping them out.

Coker's plan of hiring him as the 10th coach is fanfuckingtastic to me. I'm fine with him as the backup plan to Lake, and bringing in another recruiter is always a win. Getting rid of Lake a day before he chooses to LEAVE! is a non starter.

Lake is a top 3 coach on staff and a top 3 recruiter on staff. It's going to take more than one bad recruiting class for me to decide to MOVE! on from that guy.
    I don't think anyone is advocating to fire Lake. I know I'm not.
    "We would have been better off if Lake left last year"

"What are we paying Lake vs. what we would pay Alexander? Could that $$ be used on upgrades or for the 10th coach?"

Maybe no one has had the balls to say it explicitly but those quotes sound an awful lot like saying to let him go. Especially DDY's (the second one). He's saying the money you save between Alexander and Lake gets you a better 10th coach, not to hire Alexander as the 10th coach.
  • Options
    Dennis_DeYoungDennis_DeYoung Member Posts: 14,754
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    First of all - did you see Cal’s DB’s this year? They were massively improved.

Reminded me of what happened to Tru when Heyward came.

Second NO ONE WANTS JIMMY TO LEAVE AND NO ONE WANTS TO FIRE HIM.

Fuck man. This is straight up Doog shit.

I love the idea of Alexander being hired as the 10th coach and coaching OLBs or something, but we aren’t hiring him to coach DBs as well.

We already have a GA that everyone loves named Terrence Brown. We don’t need an extra DB coach and we aren’t going to neuter Jimmy by LESSENING his role.

I just don’t see us hiring Alexander until Lake leaves. Sadly.
  • Options

I love the idea of Alexander being hired as the 10th coach and coaching OLBs or something, but we aren’t hiring him to coach DBs as well.

We already have a GA that everyone loves named Terrence Brown. We don’t need an extra DB coach and we aren’t going to neuter Jimmy by LESSENING his role.

Then what the hell does this mean?

"What are we paying Lake vs. what we would pay Alexander? Could that $$ be used on upgrades or for the 10th coach?"

How else could is that supposed to be interpreted other than you'd rather have Alexander at less money than Lake for what we have now?

And no, I didn't watch any Cal football except the UW game. Glad to hear they took a step forward.
  • Options
    dnc said:

How else could is that supposed to be interpreted other than you'd rather have Alexander at less money than Lake for what we have now?

And no, I didn't watch any Cal football except the UW game. Glad to hear they took a step forward.
    I don’t want him to leave, but I live in the real world.
  • Options

dnc said:

Still unclear wtf you're saying. The real world means what exactly: a) he is leaving this offseason b) he is leaving eventually c) we're better off without him?

I'm firmly in camp B, btw, and have been all along.
  • Options
    dnc said:

dnc said:

Still unclear wtf you're saying. The real world means what exactly: a) he is leaving this offseason b) he is leaving eventually c) we're better off without him?

I'm firmly in camp B, btw, and have been all along.
    B.
  • Options
    guntloveguntlove Member Posts: 784
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment

UW should do everything they can to hire Alexander as the 10th coach in a few weeks. That would help immensely in recruiting if we could have the next DB coach in house and recruits would know it, rather than being left out in the cold from all the negative recruiting Lake and Pete are having to face.

There is a reason the news of this extension came out, and came out through Softy. My hope is that the above happens in January and we are in a better place.

Coker, DDY a Q....

I like your idea of bringing Alexander on board, but would that be done under the assumption that Malloe and Gregory will both be back next season?

If those two dudes are actually coming back, I feel like we'd really want that 10th coach to be recruiting DL or LB, since it seems like we really need some fucking help in that department.

I think Bananas makes a good point too... there's not doubt Jimmy's wandering eye fucked us to some degree, but it's also possible that Lake just did a shitty recruiting job this year. He's been so fucking good as both coach & recruiter for so many years, that maybe he just didn't put in the work he needed to this year.

This probably sounds doogish, but I have a feeling that he'll rebound next year, and sell the shit out of that extension (even though it's just an empty symbolic/thing) and bring in a really fucking good DB class.

What I want more than anything is a DL coach who can actually recruit.

All that being said, Jake Browning sucks. Peace, now fire away.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,817
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    Some intelligent people are having their brains clogged by too much egg nog in this thread
  • Options
    FremontTrollFremontTroll Member Posts: 4,732
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment

NO ONE WANTS JIMMY TO LEAVE AND NO ONE WANTS TO FIRE HIM.

Apparently you missed this which is strange since he called for your help right after poasting:
    Tequilla said:

I'm moving this guy off the commit list because he's said he doesn't plan to sign on D20 and is still 'seeing what else is out there'.

If he reaffirms on D15, then he'll go back on. But right now he's not a commit in the sense we are used to.

...it’s almost impossible to conclude that if Hampton backs out and Gordon doesn’t come that that’s as much proof as you need to conclude that Lake is essentially damaged goods for UW because EVERYBODY knows he has greater ambitions. Who would have ever thought this 24 months ago, but it’s quite possible that we may be better off without Lake sooner than later
    That’s a Tequilla way of saying Lake should be GONE.
  • Options
    CokeGreaterThanPepsiCokeGreaterThanPepsi Member Posts: 7,646
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    guntlove said:

UW should do everything they can to hire Alexander as the 10th coach in a few weeks. That would help immensely in recruiting if we could have the next DB coach in house and recruits would know it, rather than being left out in the cold from all the negative recruiting Lake and Pete are having to face.

There is a reason the news of this extension came out, and came out through Softy. My hope is that the above happens in January and we are in a better place.

Coker, DDY a Q....

I like your idea of bringing Alexander on board, but would that be done under the assumption that Malloe and Gregory will both be back next season?

If those two dudes are actually coming back, I feel like we'd really want that 10th coach to be recruiting DL or LB, since it seems like we really need some fucking help in that department.

I think Bananas makes a good point too... there's not doubt Jimmy's wandering eye fucked us to some degree, but it's also possible that Lake just did a shitty recruiting job this year. He's been so fucking good as both coach & recruiter for so many years, that maybe he just didn't put in the work he needed to this year.

This probably sounds doogish, but I have a feeling that he'll rebound next year, and sell the shit out of that extension (even though it's just an empty symbolic/thing) and bring in a really fucking good DB class.

If we are being honest, Kane Ioane is going to most likely be the 10th assistant coach added (he's been a LB guy before). So in order to get a guy like Alexander (and Longo) we need some movement.

I fully expect Bonopha to move to OSU (Longo replace) and after that it is all up in the air or staying the same.
  • Options
    edited December 2017

guntlove said:

Coker, DDY a Q....

If we are being honest, Kane Ioane is going to most likely be the 10th assistant coach added (he's been a LB guy before). So in order to get a guy like Alexander (and Longo) we need some movement.

I fully expect Bonopha to move to OSU (Longo replace) and after that it is all up in the air or staying the same.
    I'd be really good with Longo for Bonerpopper and all else staying static, but I bet Gregory is going to OS as well. In that event would be more likely to go for Sirmon to replace Gregory or bring in Alexander and move him to LB or promote Ioane and hire a different 10th coach or go a different direction altogether?
  • Options

dnc said:

guntlove said:

Coker, DDY a Q....

I'd be really good with Longo for Bonerpopper and all else staying static, but I bet Gregory is going to OS as well. In that event would be more likely to go for Sirmon to replace Gregory or bring in Alexander and move him to LB or promote Ioane and hire a different 10th coach or go a different direction altogether?
    I CANT HANDLE THAT SENTENCE DNC. FUCK YOU
    Mea culpa. Allow me to rephrase. If Gregory Beav goes what scenario is most likely for LB coach:

A. Hire Sirmon
    B. Hire Alexander
    C. Promote Ioane and use the 10th coach for a different position
    D. Other
  • Options
    CokeGreaterThanPepsiCokeGreaterThanPepsi Member Posts: 7,646
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    dnc said:

dnc said:

guntlove said:

Coker, DDY a Q....

I CANT HANDLE THAT SENTENCE DNC. FUCK YOU
    Mea culpa. Allow me to rephrase. If Gregory Beav goes what scenario is most likely for LB coach:

A. Hire Sirmon
    B. Hire Alexander
    C. Promote Ioane and use the 10th coach for a different position
    D. Other
    A... That's if that is the only move.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,817
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    edited December 2017

NO ONE WANTS JIMMY TO LEAVE AND NO ONE WANTS TO FIRE HIM.

Apparently you missed this which is strange since he called for your help right after poasting:
    Tequilla said:

I'm moving this guy off the commit list because he's said he doesn't plan to sign on D20 and is still 'seeing what else is out there'.

If he reaffirms on D15, then he'll go back on. But right now he's not a commit in the sense we are used to.

...it’s almost impossible to conclude that if Hampton backs out and Gordon doesn’t come that that’s as much proof as you need to conclude that Lake is essentially damaged goods for UW because EVERYBODY knows he has greater ambitions. Who would have ever thought this 24 months ago, but it’s quite possible that we may be better off without Lake sooner than later
    That’s a Tequilla way of saying Lake should be GONE.
    No ... that’s my way of saying that we have a shit class in place at present and that it’s quite possible that this could extend into next year.

I don’t care how good of a coach you are if you can’t get high end recruits in place to coach up.

My comment was more to the effect that Pete’s got some difficult decisions to potentially make going forward.

And moreover, what Dennis laid out in terms of multi-variable thinking is exactly the direction that I was going.