Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Tax deal

Comments

• 2001400ex2001400ex Member Posts: 29,457

2001400ex said:

2001400ex said:

Sledog said:

Hondo likes taxes, the more the better. It's odd he doesn't fill in the donation line on the tax form though.

Please to be explaining how this tax cut will benefit the middle class.
    I have done the math on this tax cut via about 12 different online sources and all show me benefiting. I am middle class.
    Ok cool. You get a $40 tax cut. I will be about a wash (I have $20k in deductions, but lose the $12k in personal exemptions, taxable income will be higher but at a lower rate). But the dude making $600k a year gets $5,000. And apple gets billions.

Explain how the wealthy and corporations getting tax cuts will benefit the middle class. That's the point I'm getting at.
    There is no middle class anymore.

While the middle class is a little smaller than 40 years ago. More people moved to the upper class than to poverty. But I'm not surprised you don't know that.
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 104,660 Founders Club

2001400ex said:

2001400ex said:

Sledog said:

Hondo likes taxes, the more the better. It's odd he doesn't fill in the donation line on the tax form though.

I have done the math on this tax cut via about 12 different online sources and all show me benefiting. I am middle class.
    Ok cool. You get a $40 tax cut. I will be about a wash (I have $20k in deductions, but lose the $12k in personal exemptions, taxable income will be higher but at a lower rate). But the dude making $600k a year gets $5,000. And apple gets billions.

Explain how the wealthy and corporations getting tax cuts will benefit the middle class. That's the point I'm getting at.

Thanks Obama
  • creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 23,000

2001400ex said:

2001400ex said:

Sledog said:

Thanks Obama
    I care about two things when it comes to tax policy: (1) my marginal tax rate goes down, not up; and (2) I want to be able to transfer my vast empire to my creepy progeny TAX FREE - cuz dyin' ain't much of a livin' boy.

I basically don't care about anything else.

Someone can read the bill and tell me if I should be happy or sad.

2001400ex said:

2001400ex said:

Sledog said:

Thanks Obama
    I care about two things when it comes to tax policy: (1) my marginal tax rate goes down, not up; and (2) I want to be able to transfer my vast empire to my creepy progeny TAX FREE - cuz dyin' ain't much of a livin' boy.

I would be more concerned about the effective rate, not the marginal rate. And unless you have more than $5 million in net worth, I wouldn't worry about the death tax.
  • creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 23,000
    2001400ex said:

2001400ex said:

2001400ex said:

Sledog said:

Thanks Obama

I would be more concerned about the effective rate, not the marginal rate. And unless you have more than $5 million in net worth, I wouldn't worry about the death tax.
    Yeah, that one too. But the marginal rate matters when you have a lot of control on timing your income, which I can pretty much do since it's all pretend anyway.

Re the $5 million threshhold, as I've told you Kaye: don't ever ask me about my business.

2001400ex said:

2001400ex said:

2001400ex said:

Sledog said:

Thanks Obama

Yeah, that one too. But the marginal rate matters when you have a lot of control on timing your income, which I can pretty much do since it's all pretend anyway.

Re the $5 million threshhold, as I've told you Kaye: don't ever ask me about my business.
    Generally you want to push income into the next year regardless, just a time value of money thing. And if the law passes, generally the marginal rate will be lower, but I haven't seen the new table yet.

I don't think I asked about your net worth. I think the estate tax should stay, but only on capital gains and generally exempt farms from that. On the basis that capital gains aren't taxed until you cash them out, which doesn't happen when you die. So that transfer of capital gains would be taxed over a threshold. Last I saw the exemption was $10,000,000 now.
  • doogiedoogie Member Posts: 15,072
    tax advice from hondo podcast?

2001400ex said:

2001400ex said:

2001400ex said:

2001400ex said:

Sledog said:

Thanks Obama

Generally you want to push income into the next year regardless, just a time value of money thing. And if the law passes, generally the marginal rate will be lower, but I haven't seen the new table yet.

I don't think I asked about your net worth. I think the estate tax should stay, but only on capital gains and generally exempt farms from that. On the basis that capital gains aren't taxed until you cash them out, which doesn't happen when you die. So that transfer of capital gains would be taxed over a threshold. Last I saw the exemption was $10,000,000 now.
    You are taking a post made entirely in jest and interpreting it as a request for tax advice. Thanks, but I'm good.

Re pushing off income, agreed, but even that depends. TVM is an important factor. There are others, like how much income you'll realize in the next year that you can't move around and tax rates.

If you really do want some advice, PM me. I got a tax guy

2001400ex said:

2001400ex said:

2001400ex said:

2001400ex said:

Sledog said:

Thanks Obama

You are taking a post made entirely in jest and interpreting it as a request for tax advice. Thanks, but I'm good.

Re pushing off income, agreed, but even that depends. TVM is an important factor. There are others, like how much income you'll realize in the next year that you can't move around and tax rates.

I'm not giving tax advice, I have zero idea your scenario. Yes there are times you want to have income this year, which is why I said generally.

Regardless, the tax "reform" is lame and doesn't fix anything. If they want actual reform, they just do it and get bi partisan support. And not fuck with ANWR in a tax bill.
  • allpurpleallgoldallpurpleallgold Member Posts: 8,771

I don't get hung up on penalizing people for being successful. The amount of taxes paid by high-wage earners that flow to low-income earners, combined with the taxes that low-income earners never pay...I would be more interested in closing loopholes in the tax code. As a principle I don't believe that some rich person should have their income redistributed to me for no reason other than they've accumulated wealth.

Lol. This has got to be the most impressive trick ever pulled.

While you run around on the moral high ground, those rich people that you're so desperate to protect are redistributing everyone else's money to themselves.
    It is impressive that the folks who already have the money and pay 81% of the taxes are still taking money from people that don't have it so I shouldn't want to keep more of my money even though I am only pretend rich
  • TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680

2001400ex said:

2001400ex said:

Sledog said:

It's actually a few thousand. And will be more when the first kid arrives next year.
    You sound poor
  • Mosster47Mosster47 Member Posts: 6,246

2001400ex said:

2001400ex said:

Sledog said:

This is correct.
  • Mosster47Mosster47 Member Posts: 6,246
    You could get rid of property, death, capital gains, and everything else if you just did a 15% flat tax of all personal income regardless of method.

You would get rid of all the hiding and complicated maneuvering.
    Mosster47 said:

You could get rid of property, death, capital gains, and everything else if you just did a 15% flat tax of all personal income regardless of method.

This is real tax reform that neither party will give us because those special interests pay top dollar for the hiding and complicated maneuvering

You should have got on the Trump train. The GOP fucked this up as usual but its better than nothing
  • Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 23,564 Founders Club

I don't get hung up on penalizing people for being successful. The amount of taxes paid by high-wage earners that flow to low-income earners, combined with the taxes that low-income earners never pay...I would be more interested in closing loopholes in the tax code. As a principle I don't believe that some rich person should have their income redistributed to me for no reason other than they've accumulated wealth.

Wake me when Buffet, Gates and the rest aren't paying the same effective percentage as the people making $50,000 per year.
    Mosster47 said:

You forget one concept. Determination of income, which the 15% doesn't help.
  • doogiedoogie Member Posts: 15,072
    Every part timer with a 401 (k) will benefit from the upcoming share buybacks