Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

DDY & Coker

Comments

• Options
    backthepackbackthepack Member Posts: 19,796
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker 5 Awesomes

This whole debate is riddled with the doog narrative that in a top 10 program coaches cannot be expected to be great recruiters and great position coaches.

This is obviously not the case and Saban would never put up with it (and—in fact, he doesn't). The funny thing is that people who think Saban is the bee's knees are here arguing against what he does.

There is no god damn reason to keep anyone on this fucking mediocre offense. How could there be?

The defense needs a massive talent upgrade to be elite.

What would Saban do? Saban only has guys who are great position coaches and great recruiters.

Any arguing for low standards are just doogs trying not to get their hopes up.

And for the 'recruiting doesn't matter' crowd - DIAFF. Saban spends all his fucking time recruiting.

I love you Dennis.
  • Options
    backthepackbackthepack Member Posts: 19,796
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker 5 Awesomes

This whole debate is riddled with the doog narrative that in a top 10 program coaches cannot be expected to be great recruiters and great position coaches.

This is obviously not the case and Saban would never put up with it (and—in fact, he doesn't). The funny thing is that people who think Saban is the bee's knees are here arguing against what he does.

There is no god damn reason to keep anyone on this fucking mediocre offense. How could there be?

What would Saban do? Saban only has guys who are great position coaches and great recruiters.

And for the 'recruiting doesn't matter' crowd - DIAFF. Saban spends all his fucking time recruiting.

Holy fuck. Nobody thinks recruiting doesn’t matter. Everyone knows it matters. Most just aren’t as obsessed as you are.

I had to look up Alabama’s assistants. I doubt all are great recruiters and it’s an apples and oranges comparison.

You just talked up Lubbick and said Huff could stay, but in the above post you say we should can the whole offensive staff. Which one is it?
    RoadDoogFS Bama has great crooters' all over. Bagmen would help, HCH crootin' fund for next year? I'll pitch with 10 bucks and some nacho cheese fondue.
  • Options
    Dennis_DeYoungDennis_DeYoung Member Posts: 14,754
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

Holy fuck. Nobody thinks recruiting doesn’t matter. Everyone knows it matters. Most just aren’t as obsessed as you are.

I had to look up Alabama’s assistants. I doubt all are great recruiters and it’s an apples and oranges comparison.

You just talked up Lubbick and said Huff could stay, but in the above post you say we should can the whole offensive staff. Which one is it?
    Are you FS?
  • Options
    oregonblitzkriegoregonblitzkrieg Member Posts: 15,288
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Competing for a playoff spot once or twice every 10 years is about the most a Pac 12 team can aspire to generally.
  • Options
    AZDuckAZDuck Member Posts: 15,381
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Answer

Competing for a playoff spot once or twice every 10 years is about the most a Pac 12 team can aspire to generally.

Fag
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    AZDuck said:

Fag
    You sound hurt. Don't like it, take some courses at Bama or some other big boy program so you can be a fan of a school that actually wins the big games instead of just getting there and shitting the bed.
  • Options
    Fear_BonerFear_Boner Member Posts: 756
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Under Petersen UW can win multiple titles IF he pulls the ripcord on Smith and that piece of shit recruiter Malloe.

If we stick with that fucktard Babushka and we play two B level DT’s then we may make the playoffs from time to time but that’s all.

I’m not happy thinking the pinnacle is and always will be 1991.

We can and will do better.

In Pete I trust.
  • Options
    edited November 2017

Under Petersen UW can win multiple titles IF he pulls the ripcord on Smith and that piece of shit recruiter Malloe.

If we stick with that fucktard Babushka and we play two B level DT’s then we may make the playoffs from time to time but that’s all.

I’m not happy thinking the pinnacle is and always will be 1991.

We can and will do better.

In Pete I trust.

Pete isn't Saban, not even close. Even if he were, he's in the northwest, he would never be able to pull in the recruits that teams from the South can. You won't be winning a title with him, much less multiple ones. If Chip can't do it, Pete sure as fuck can't. Also, 1991 wasn't the pinnacle. 2016 was. It was the closest you ever came to actually getting to play in your first championship game and maybe winning a trophy that you would have earned instead of one you were voted to share with another team you never actually played on the field.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs

Not wanting to burn things to the ground doesn't mean that you're Doogish or have low standards ... as you've said elsewhere if the changes made in the offseason were 1) replacing Smith, 2) replacing Malloe, and 3) having a 10th coach in place to take over for Lake whenever it is that he leaves would make you super excited with the offseason.

It's obvious that you'd want to have a coaching full of elite recruiters and coaches. The reality though is that there aren't that many assistant coaches that fit that bill. And, when you do have those that fall in that category like Jimmy Lake, at some point you're in a position where they likely are going to leave to advance their career. You obviously take what you can get in those situations but that's also a line where you're walking a state of constant change on your staff.

Let's talk about talent on both sides of the ball ...

1) The defense over the last 2 years has largely been good enough to compete at a national level ... no question that we could use more edge rushing ... no question that DL recruiting may put us in a bad position in a couple of years ... but by in large the defense is playing at a level that you can work with at a national level.

2) We know that Browning is likely not a national level QB ... we have 3 QBs coming in over the next 2 classes (and a 4th if Eason transfers here) that have the tools to be better than Browning ... we've been fine at the RB position and the future also looks bright here ... between the 2017 and 2018 classes we're bringing in a total of 5 high end WRs ... at the TE position, bringing in back to back classes of Bryant/Culp is outstanding ... OL recruiting is getting better with Huff

The margins for the program right now are small ... that's what they are at the elite level. Small differences mean everything. Before the season while previewing, one of the things that I called out was how the kicking game may bite UW in the ass. It did basically 2x this year and almost did against Utah. Talking about the kicking game isn't sexy. It's a lot more fun to talk recruiting and which coaches aren't doing their job. But kicking is a detail. It's a detail when the margins are small that gets magnified.

I'd love to be wrong on this someday, but the history of our program suggests that we will never have the kind of talent on our roster that a USC, Alabama, Ohio State, Oklahoma, etc. have. A far more comparable example is Clemson as you've pointed out numerous times. That's doable. And yes, we need to finish out our classes just a little bit better to get the numbers that we want there. But it's doable. But getting to the Alabama and SC levels ... that's just not likely and we shouldn't be holding ourselves to that standard.
  • Options
    edited November 2017

You could try hanging yourself.
  • Options
    HoustonHuskyHoustonHusky Member Posts: 5,954
    First Anniversary First Comment Photogenic 5 Awesomes
    How is Scott White as a recruiter? Guessing he is going to be available...may be another option as a LB coach/10th coach. Don't think there is anyone else we would want on that staff (I'd rather have Alexander than Martin).
  • Options
    NorwegianHuskyNorwegianHusky Member Posts: 3,422
    Tequilla said:

Not wanting to burn things to the ground doesn't mean that you're Doogish or have low standards ... as you've said elsewhere if the changes made in the offseason were 1) replacing Smith, 2) replacing Malloe, and 3) having a 10th coach in place to take over for Lake whenever it is that he leaves would make you super excited with the offseason.

It's obvious that you'd want to have a coaching full of elite recruiters and coaches. The reality though is that there aren't that many assistant coaches that fit that bill. And, when you do have those that fall in that category like Jimmy Lake, at some point you're in a position where they likely are going to leave to advance their career. You obviously take what you can get in those situations but that's also a line where you're walking a state of constant change on your staff.

Let's talk about talent on both sides of the ball ...

1) The defense over the last 2 years has largely been good enough to compete at a national level ... no question that we could use more edge rushing ... no question that DL recruiting may put us in a bad position in a couple of years ... but by in large the defense is playing at a level that you can work with at a national level.

2) We know that Browning is likely not a national level QB ... we have 3 QBs coming in over the next 2 classes (and a 4th if Eason transfers here) that have the tools to be better than Browning ... we've been fine at the RB position and the future also looks bright here ... between the 2017 and 2018 classes we're bringing in a total of 5 high end WRs ... at the TE position, bringing in back to back classes of Bryant/Culp is outstanding ... OL recruiting is getting better with Huff

The margins for the program right now are small ... that's what they are at the elite level. Small differences mean everything. Before the season while previewing, one of the things that I called out was how the kicking game may bite UW in the ass. It did basically 2x this year and almost did against Utah. Talking about the kicking game isn't sexy. It's a lot more fun to talk recruiting and which coaches aren't doing their job. But kicking is a detail. It's a detail when the margins are small that gets magnified.

I'd love to be wrong on this someday, but the history of our program suggests that we will never have the kind of talent on our roster that a USC, Alabama, Ohio State, Oklahoma, etc. have. A far more comparable example is Clemson as you've pointed out numerous times. That's doable. And yes, we need to finish out our classes just a little bit better to get the numbers that we want there. But it's doable. But getting to the Alabama and SC levels ... that's just not likely and we shouldn't be holding ourselves to that standard.
    Disagree.
  • Options
    FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes
    Nice job guys, this thread has HIV, keep going it will be full blown aids
  • Options
    UDubHusky23UDubHusky23 Member Posts: 889

How is Scott White as a recruiter? Guessing he is going to be available...may be another option as a LB coach/10th coach. Don't think there is anyone else we would want on that staff (I'd rather have Alexander than Martin).

Didn't Scott White play at UW??
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

I assume that's why he was brought up.

From somewhere in San DIego. Came up with Stanley Daniels. Both committed the Chris Massey Holiday Bowel year, IIRC.
  • Options
    UDubHusky23UDubHusky23 Member Posts: 889
    dnc said:

From somewhere in San DIego. Came up with Stanley Daniels. Both committed the Chris Massey Holiday Bowel year, IIRC.
    He's before my time at UW lol but there seem to be a lot coaches in PAC-12 that played at UW.... Scott white, Duane Akina, tui
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

dnc said:

He's before my time at UW lol but there seem to be a lot coaches in PAC-12 that played at UW.... Scott white, Duane Akina, tui
    IKAIKA MALLOE!!!