Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

PM to @creepycoog

13»

Comments

• Options
    BasemanBaseman Member Posts: 12,365
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker

Baseman said:

dflea said:

We had the same issue with Aberdeen at Oly.

Tuffest Shelton High Climber: Raul Allegre.
    Tuffest Oly Bear (Timberline doesn’t count): Kasey Keller.
    Tuffest Aberdeen Bobcat: Mark Bruener.

I didn’t want to do it, but you made me do it.

Back in my Miller Junior High days, we would steal cars and drive up to Shelton and O-town and kick the shit out of the high school kids as a warm-up for Weatherwax. We would skip Capital, because they weren't tuff enuff for us (but just right for the Hopkins kids), and Timberline, because we didn’t have guns.

There’s a reason that Aberdeen was off-limits to the military for years. Too tuff.
    Doug Long would have killed and eaten Mark Bruener.

And nobody believes that a bunch of donkeys from Aberdeen ever came to Shelton looking for anything other than an ass kicking.

tuff, AA UW TE >> kinda tuff AA Whitworth DB/Speshul Teemer

believe it about that bunch of donkeys. we were Aberdeeen tuff. you're thinking of our ghey cousins a little further west. I'm sure you had your way with more than one Hoquiamite. the Bobcats were/are a different breed.

flea, you wouldn't last five minutes running your hole at the NW Passage. we'd find your bloated corpse floating in the Wishkah. stay in Shelton; it's safer.
    All the Penisula schools are a bunch of pussies we played two schools: Kelso and W.F beat them 30-6 and 44-14. Fuck they were big pussies like everyone else from the Peninsula.
    And where might you be from little man?

I can remember the Bothell Cewgers with their cocks up in the air hosting the Olympia Bears in a state playoff game not that many years ago and getting shit from people like you all over Bothell, who assumed they'd walk all over the small town kids. Unfortunately for them, Luke Kravitz walked off the bus with a line that looked more like a college line than a high school line. You can guess what happened from there. Salemcoog could have been the Bears offensive coordinator, as Luke tripped over his shoe laces for 11 yard runs at a clip.

You might want to look up how many state titles have been won by schools down that way Jr. It wasn't always Bothell, Skyline, Woodinhood and Bellevue.
    Kingco bitch. Peninsula kids now are a bunch of pussies.
    Besides the band, custodial or concession crew, how many Varsity or College snaps have you been on the field in uniform for? That’s what I thought.
    And your poont is?
    Confirmed.
  • Options
    doogiedoogie Member Posts: 15,072
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes

Fond memories of crisp fall Friday nights loading up the station wagon so my two dads could take us down the 8 to Aberdeen for a bitter rival game. We'd eat at a greasy spoon in Montesano along the way and have root beer floats on the way back.

I remember a Bobcat named Walt Failor who was a big time player there. I think his dad was mayor. My dad called him Walt Faker because he'd always limp off the field and come back.

The old Southwest Conference was a blast as a kid. From Grays Harbor to Vancouver.

Most of this was before Creepy was born.

You can't get this at doogman, pumpy

The only thing you can get at the doogman is the AIDs.

Walt played FB at USC. Owned and ran (appropriately named) "Failor's", where you got all your athletic shit, hunting and fishing gear, etc. Huge store full of Walt's stuffed and mounted game shot all over the world (totally un-PC now I know) and it had a greasy spoon diner in the store. All that small-town shit we're all so nostalgic about now. This was before Champs and fucking Footlocker in the mall, ok? If Failor's didn't have it, you went to O-town; if they didn't have it, you drove to Seattle, or you went without! Both ways! Up hill! In the snow 365 days a year.

I think his kid played at SC too, but just baseball. Not sure on that part.

When that place closed, it really was the end of an era, and the beginning, or middle, of the end of downtown Aberdeen. Despite all the shit I get, and will get, for saying this, it was a decent town once upon a time and a helluva place to grow up. I wouldn't swap it out if I could. It's a crack-pipe shit-show now. I get it.
    Used to go thru Aberdeen for razors, ocean fishing and camping as a kid. Duffy’s five locations used to have lines out the door. Corned beef hash was a staple on every visit. I think now, they are down to one location, no line. Ate there last about 10 years ago. Place reflects the town. Dead and disgusting. Remember Westport 40-50 years ago? Total fucking chaos during salmon season.

Now, I travel down and back same day for razors 3-4 times/year. The depths of depression out that direction are mind blowing. It’s called Gray’s Harbor for a reason
  • Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,749
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    doogie said:

Fond memories of crisp fall Friday nights loading up the station wagon so my two dads could take us down the 8 to Aberdeen for a bitter rival game. We'd eat at a greasy spoon in Montesano along the way and have root beer floats on the way back.

I remember a Bobcat named Walt Failor who was a big time player there. I think his dad was mayor. My dad called him Walt Faker because he'd always limp off the field and come back.

The old Southwest Conference was a blast as a kid. From Grays Harbor to Vancouver.

Walt played FB at USC. Owned and ran (appropriately named) "Failor's", where you got all your athletic shit, hunting and fishing gear, etc. Huge store full of Walt's stuffed and mounted game shot all over the world (totally un-PC now I know) and it had a greasy spoon diner in the store. All that small-town shit we're all so nostalgic about now. This was before Champs and fucking Footlocker in the mall, ok? If Failor's didn't have it, you went to O-town; if they didn't have it, you drove to Seattle, or you went without! Both ways! Up hill! In the snow 365 days a year.

When that place closed, it really was the end of an era, and the beginning, or middle, of the end of downtown Aberdeen. Despite all the shit I get, and will get, for saying this, it was a decent town once upon a time and a helluva place to grow up. I wouldn't swap it out if I could. It's a crack-pipe shit-show now. I get it.
    Used to go thru Aberdeen for razors, ocean fishing and camping as a kid. Duffy’s five locations used to have lines out the door. Corned beef hash was a staple on every visit. I think now, they are down to one location, no line. Ate there last about 10 years ago. Place reflects the town. Dead and disgusting. Remember Westport 40-50 years ago? Total fucking chaos during salmon season.

Now, I travel down and back same day for razors 3-4 times/year. The depths of depression out that direction are mind blowing. It’s called Gray’s Harbor for a reason
    Correct. Duffy's is down to one, and agreed it's gross.

I'm just a pretend lawyer and thus know little about big boy commerce, but it seems that one of the only natural harbors with requisite depth could have competed with the Port of Olympia, Tacoma and Seattle by having the right rail infrastructure in place to get goods to the I-5 corridor without a lot of drama. Consider how many tankers scoot right past that harbor, take a right in the straight, and then meander down through the islands in the Sound. That has to be a full day's delay. But alas the only thing anyone down there ever thought the Port was good for was exporting logs off federal lands to Japan. That's a bit of a simplification, but there you have it. There are other organic reasons for the Harbor's struggles, the most important of which I surmise is those 45 to 60 minutes it takes to get back to the I-5 corridor from there. Centralia and Chehalis at least have that going for them.

Westport when I was growing up was fucking crazy with traffic and people heading out for the fishing.
  • Options
    AZDuckAZDuck Member Posts: 15,381
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Answer

doogie said:

Correct. Duffy's is down to one, and agreed it's gross.

I'm just a pretend lawyer and thus know little about big boy commerce, but it seems that one of the only natural harbors with requisite depth could have competed with the Port of Olympia, Tacoma and Seattle by having the right rail infrastructure in place to get goods to the I-5 corridor without a lot of drama. Consider how many tankers scoot right past that harbor, take a right in the straight, and then meander down through the islands in the Sound. That has to be a full day's delay. But alas the only thing anyone down there ever thought the Port was good for was exporting logs off federal lands to Japan. That's a bit of a simplification, but there you have it. There are other organic reasons for the Harbor's struggles, the most important of which I surmise is those 45 to 60 minutes it takes to get back to the I-5 corridor from there. Centralia and Chehalis at least have that going for them.

Westport when I was growing up was fucking crazy with traffic and people heading out for the fishing.
    Last time I was there there were a buncha signs against having a LNG terminal there. So some of the damage appears to be self-inflicted.