Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Does anyone have a clue what the starting 5 is gonna be for Basketball

dhdawgdhdawg Member Posts: 13,326
is goss gonna start right away, I think we're looking at Goss Andrews Wilcox Kemp Blackwell.
Man we're gonna suck. BTW Romar had one of his famous 2nd place finishes in the Zylan Cheatham battle

Comments

• Wilcox is a 5th year senior and yet UW is picked to take 8th.
  • dhdawgdhdawg Member Posts: 13,326
    there's potential, but if we're gonna be anywhere close to the tourney Kemp, and Andrews are gonna have to make huge strides and goss and blackwell are gonna have to be legit starters right away
  • RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member Posts: 30,123
    Your guess looks pretty good. Only real battle is probably Kemp-Jarreau-Simmons at the 4. Maybe Johnson or Anderson could take Andrews or NWG's spot. I'm not really sure how good those guys are, although Johnson is getting good reports.
  • MeekMeek Member Posts: 7,031
    Basketball? Please go die in a fire

Your guess looks pretty good. Only real battle is probably Kemp-Jarreau-Simmons at the 4. Maybe Johnson or Anderson could take Andrews or NWG's spot. I'm not really sure how good those guys are, although Johnson is getting good reports.

johnson is the kind of player romar has had success with in the past so lets hope
    Meek said:

the football season is over, might as well focus on basketball until it's over if it isn't already
  • RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member Posts: 30,123
    edited October 2013
    dhdawg said:

there's potential, but if we're gonna be anywhere close to the tourney Kemp, and Andrews are gonna have to make huge strides and goss and blackwell are gonna have to be legit starters right away

I'm not counting on it, but if all goes right, this team could somehow make the NCAA tourney. We will see. It depends on how good NWG and Blackwell really are. Doogs expecting a guy who averaged 12 in the WCC to be a star are really pressing, but reports are Blackwell is a good low post scorer.

I think NWG will be good, but expecting him to be a huge difference maker might be a bit much. Andrews was terrible last year. He may be good, he may not. I like his attitude, but he was ineffective last year.

There are a lot of questions with this team which makes me skeptical, but it does seem to be a more athletic team that the past few.

• MeekMeek Member Posts: 7,031
    Oh right. The husky basketball team will make you feel better. Haha

dhdawg said:

I'm not counting on it, but if all goes right, this team could somehow make the NCAA tourney. We will see. It depends on how good NWG and Blackwell really are. Doogs expecting a guy who averaged 12 in the WCC to be a star are really pressing, but reports are Blackwell is a good low post scorer.

I think NWG will be good, but expecting him to be a huge difference maker might be a bit much. Andrews was terrible last year. He may be good, he may not. I like his attitude, but he was ineffective last year.

There are a lot of questions with this team which makes me skeptical, but it does seem to be a more athletic team that the past few.

he isn't going to be a superstar, just not his game. His ceiling IMO is michael carter-williams which after watching abdul gaddy this year feels like the 2nd coming of brandon roy
  • CuntWaffleCuntWaffle Member Posts: 22,499
    The biggest 2nd place finish imo was Moser. They could have been a pretty good team with him.
  • TheKobeStopperTheKobeStopper Member Posts: 5,959
    NBA > college

Hi Harv!
  • TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    MBA
    Jensen
    Massingale
    Appleby
    Gaddy
  • GladstoneGladstone Member Posts: 16,419
    As others have said, the 4 is the only real offseason position battle. I had hopes for Simmons many years ago but he has disappointed me. Kemp could be a stud if he had any work ethic at all. We are going to need NWG and Blackwell to be as advertised. TBH I have no idea how the conference is going to play out, Arizona will be the odds on favorite due to their talent but after that...UCLA looks awful. ASU is a unknown. Ditto Oregon. The year we won the Alaska Tourney was the only year Romar didn't completely flop in the preseason. I hate hate hate the change in tempo/Romar's new offense. That old style defined Husky bball for me and made all the games fun as hell to watch, it also masked some of Romar's glaring coaching flaws. That's all gone now. Last year was our worst statistically since Romar's first...running a high-post with fucking Aziz and Kemp?
  • bananasnblondesbananasnblondes Member Posts: 15,159
    Gladstone said:

As others have said, the 4 is the only real offseason position battle. I had hopes for Simmons many years ago but he has disappointed me. Kemp could be a stud if he had any work ethic at all. We are going to need NWG and Blackwell to be as advertised. TBH I have no idea how the conference is going to play out, Arizona will be the odds on favorite due to their talent but after that...UCLA looks awful. ASU is a unknown. Ditto Oregon. The year we won the Alaska Tourney was the only year Romar didn't completely flop in the preseason. I hate hate hate the change in tempo/Romar's new offense. That old style defined Husky bball for me and made all the games fun as hell to watch, it also masked some of Romar's glaring coaching flaws. That's all gone now. Last year was our worst statistically since Romar's first...running a high-post with fucking Aziz and Kemp?

Agree 100% on your last point. Romar essentially threw away everything he built by changing to that stupid high post, pass the ball around the perimeter thing. For a few years UW was one of the most exciting team in the west because we had athletes who ran nonstop and we put up 100 points a game. Then Romar said, "you know what would really be fun. Changing from the most exciting type of basketball that kids love to the most boring". If Mark Helfrich decided to run an I formation offense next year with a huddle between every play that would be the equivalent of what Romar did to husky basketball. Unfortunately, the recruits and fans took notice quickly.
  • dncdnc Member Posts: 56,652
    If it's me I'm not starting Goss and Andrews together for the same reason he didn't start Gaddy and Andrews together last year - you have no other point guards on the bench.

I'd start Goss (I don't think he's going to be a superstar but he'll be better than Andrews)
    Wilcox
    Johnson
    Kemp
    Blackwell

With Andrews, Anderson, Simmons and Jarreau all getting run.

Of course, you have the same problem at center that you do at point, so maybe Simmons or Jarreau starts over Kemp.

Who starts isn't as important as who gets the biggest minutes. I think baring injuries minutes will go Wilcox, Blackwell, Goss, Kemp, Andrews. So dhdawg's starters will get the most run, but I don't think they'll all start most of the games.
  • SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,378 Founders Club
    #Weareabasketballschool

FML
  • TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
  • greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,332
    It's March already? Damn
  • Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 23,662 Founders Club
    Meek said:

Well, since you asked nicely, okay