Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Huskies to lose a 61-year ticket holder, thanks to Larry Scott's Innovative Television Contracts

2»

Comments

• uziuzi Member Posts: 1,298

I wonder if Peterman and the rest of the coaches would be willing to take a pay cut so we could return to the era of all 1230 or 1pm kicks and not every game on TV. Stupid college sports arms race.

I wonder if a competent negotiator for the Pac 12 could fix this endless nightgame bullshit without the Pac 12 losing any TV revenue.
  • Mosster47Mosster47 Member Posts: 6,246
    It's funny that we all hated Tom Hansen, and we did, because we all thought he wasn't doing enough to getting us up there with the big boys. He always warned that if we jumped into that pool we were guppy and would be at the whims of the sharks, and would hate it.

Here we are today signed on with ESPN and Fox along with our own conference network just like the big boys. There is just one problem, the west coast doesn't have that many true college football fans. Now we kick off in the middle of the night or on weekdays or on a channel no one has.

Tom Hansen was right, we were wrong. We put money over experience and it got us super awesome newly renovated stadiums that people don't really go to.
  • H_DH_D Member Posts: 6,098

I wonder if Peterman and the rest of the coaches would be willing to take a pay cut so we could return to the era of all 1230 or 1pm kicks and not every game on TV. Stupid college sports arms race.

There are plenty of day time windows. You can watch all sorts of shit teams. Just not Pac 12 shit teams.

That's why Larry gets ripped. By not going with either ESPN or FOX we get the hind tit when it comes to broadcast windows.

Then there is the issue of the Pac 12 network which does have day games, being unavailable outside of China

Wait, so if there was no Pac 12 Network and we were just contracted with ESPN and FOX we'd have more day / early evening games? No sarcasm here - just an honest question.

This Sat, Pac 12 Network has a day game at 1PM with SC v OSU and then at 5PM with Zona and CU.
    The Pac 12 has no excuse to not be as widely seen as the SEC. We have bigger markets and our football is just as bad.

The SEC network contracted with ESPN so in addition to the network itself SEC network games are shown across the ESPN family of networks and CBS, the best 12:30 game hands down. ABC now shows ACC and SEC games and B1G games instead of Pac 12 games in the prime windows. Larry won't play ball so they told us to fuck off
    How are the Pac12 negotiations going with DirecTV? Good right?
  • PassionPassion Member Posts: 4,622

I honestly can't even remember the last time a Husky game started at or before 1pm.

Last year larry scott arranged for us to kickoff against rutgers at 11 am at Husky Stadium. Fuckin' A its like the guy just spins the hands in a giant click and we kickoff wherever it stops.

Asshole
  • DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 62,377 Founders Club
    We need to hire Jon Taffer as pac12 commish
  • DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 62,377 Founders Club
    edited October 2017
    Or Taffer needs to be brought in for an episode of Commissioner Rescue
  • ApostleofGriefApostleofGrief Member Posts: 3,904
    It was better with no lights and no jumbotron.
  • Mosster47Mosster47 Member Posts: 6,246
    uzi said:

I wonder if a competent negotiator for the Pac 12 could fix this endless nightgame bullshit without the Pac 12 losing any TV revenue.
    No. Living in SEC country everyone watches the game. Man, woman, and child.

Living in Pac-12 country everyone planned on watching the game but went wine tasting or mountain biking or hiking or some other faggy shit. Look no farther than Pac-12 stadiums. Cal, Stanford, Wazzu, OS, ASU, UA, UCLA, and USC usually play with a third of the stadium empty or more.

The west will never compete with the east when it comes to football fanaticism.

The second ESPN gave Texas an ass load of money not to join the Pac-10 Larry Scott should have just stopped and waited for something to happen before making anymore moves. Adding Colorado and Utah fucked over the Oregon and Washington schools for exposure in LA and put us up against fan bases we don't compare to.

This is a worthless argument though. It's not like Larry can boot Utah and CU while asking for less money that all of these AD's are dependent on now. There aren't any schools left on the left side of the country to add to try to attract more viewers outside of BYU. Of course that will never happen because liberals would never go for a religious school because they are only tolerant when they agree.
  • RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member Posts: 30,123

We need to hire Jon Taffer as pac12 commish

What kind of Fucking schedule is this?!!! Games at 7:45! 7:45 at night! Are you kidding me?
  • section_332section_332 Member Posts: 2,403
    It's a fucking shame the defending PAC 10 champs play at the same time SCLSU muddawgs play
  • Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,852
    Mosster47 said:

uzi said:

No. Living in SEC country everyone watches the game. Man, woman, and child.

Living in Pac-12 country everyone planned on watching the game but went wine tasting or mountain biking or hiking or some other faggy shit. Look no farther than Pac-12 stadiums. Cal, Stanford, Wazzu, OS, ASU, UA, UCLA, and USC usually play with a third of the stadium empty or more.

The west will never compete with the east when it comes to football fanaticism.

The second ESPN gave Texas an ass load of money not to join the Pac-10 Larry Scott should have just stopped and waited for something to happen before making anymore moves. Adding Colorado and Utah fucked over the Oregon and Washington schools for exposure in LA and put us up against fan bases we don't compare to.

This is a worthless argument though. It's not like Larry can boot Utah and CU while asking for less money that all of these AD's are dependent on now. There aren't any schools left on the left side of the country to add to try to attract more viewers outside of BYU. Of course that will never happen because liberals would never go for a religious school because they are only tolerant when they agree.
    I've always thought you need about 2 more generations before west coast schools have the fanbase they do in the Midwest

For example I don't think I've ever met a single person who has parents that were born in Arizona

However take my family as the other end.

Both my grandparents and half of their kids went to Michigan State.

So in the 3rd generation you've grown up rooting for it.

We just don't have that for the most part out west. Everyone's a fucking Cubs fan.