Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

1991 Pac 10 Dreckfest

YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 34,944 Founders Club
Was looking back this AM at the 1991 schedule and forgot how fucking terrible most of the PAC was that year. We played 2 decent/good Pac teams that year- i.e., Stanford (finished #22) and Cal (finished #7/#8). ASU was 6-5; Arizona, USC, Oregon, WSU, Oregon State, were all fucking horrible and had losing records. I know we had tuff, gritty wins over Classy Nebraska and Cal on the road, but the rest of the schedule was fucking cupcakes. It's amazing how James got that team to show up every single week and blow out the patsies with the exception of the USC game.

History doesn't repeat itself - this team isn't 1991 good - but it often rhymes. We're playing, at most, 2 ranked Pac opponents (both at home) through the Apple Cup.

Comments

• YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 34,944 Founders Club
    whlinder said:

Arizona State having a bye before we play there and the slightly shorter week for visiting Stanford make those less than ideal, but should be manageable. Cuog having a bye before the AC isn't awesome either, but there are no excuses for losing against this dreck.

Truth. There are some quirks in their that give the other schools some extra prep/rest time. They keys at this point are avoiding the injury bug which is a combination of luck and reducing risk (e.g., not running Gaskin into the ground for the sake of ESPN pub); and cleaning up the first halfs. We don't want to be tied with ASU halfway through the 3rd quarter, rather, we want those fuckers going into half time completely demoralized.
  • PurpleBazePurpleBaze Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 29,700 Founders Club
    tenndawg said:

Was looking back this AM at the 1991 schedule...

And the winner of The HH "I Have No Fucking Life" Competition...the the big lean oarsman himself...he's probably listening to Neil Young or Bob Dylan on an 8 track player...
    Why do you hate The Beatles?
  • PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 43,529 Standard Supporter
    Comparing this team to one of the top 3 Pac 8/10/12 teams of all time is beyond FS.

Comparing this team to one of the top 3 Pac 8/10/12 teams of all time is beyond FS.

No one in their right mind would say this team (or last year's) is on that level; I said as much in the OP. That said, the '91 squad feasted almost entirely shitty Pac 10 teams. No one else was worth a shit that year other than Cal. So, history isn't "repeating itself" in that we aren't going to win a Natty; but it has a chance to "rhyme"- i.e., beating up on shitty Pac teams with a chance at running the table into the Santa Clara game.
  • HuskyJWHuskyJW Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,336 Swaye's Wigwam
    whlinder said:

Arizona State having a bye before we play there and the slightly shorter week for visiting Stanford make those less than ideal, but should be manageable. Cuog having a bye before the AC isn't awesome either, but there are no excuses for losing against this dreck.

If they are still cooking with gas by the AC....I'm all for them having a break before playing MY DAWGS!
  • Mad_SonMad_Son Member Posts: 10,167

Comparing this team to the best Pac 8/10/12 teams of all time is beyond FS.

https://www.huskermax.com/rating.html

Sure, the last 5 years are missing (no pac 12 teams need apply anyways though) and Sagarin isn't perfect but I'm not aware of a better objective measure for all time best teams than this. 1991 Washington was more dominant in their time than almost any other team ever. Of course we didn't actually need statistics to tell us that...
  • longduckdonglongduckdong Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,023 Swaye's Wigwam

whlinder said:

Truth. There are some quirks in their that give the other schools some extra prep/rest time. They keys at this point are avoiding the injury bug which is a combination of luck and reducing risk (e.g., not running Gaskin into the ground for the sake of ESPN pub); and cleaning up the first halfs. We don't want to be tied with ASU halfway through the 3rd quarter, rather, we want those fuckers going into half time completely demoralized.
    Great analysis John Madden. Tell me when would a team rather have a close game till the end vs blow out ass kicking?

Classic. UW would probably rather be kicking ASUs ass vs losing.
  • TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680

No one in their right mind would say this team (or last year's) is on that level; I said as much in the OP. That said, the '91 squad feasted almost entirely shitty Pac 10 teams. No one else was worth a shit that year other than Cal. So, history isn't "repeating itself" in that we aren't going to win a Natty; but it has a chance to "rhyme"- i.e., beating up on shitty Pac teams with a chance at running the table into the Santa Clara game.
    Totally agree, though I seem to recall that there were some in here itching to go full retard and make that comparison last year. Peterman has put together a very good team and has done a great job in coaching them up, but they are not (yet) at that dominant force level.

Still, I really like this team. They don't panic when they get down and have shown over the past two years that they can play on the road. Those are big steps forward to getting back to where this program was in the past. To get all the way back, to be able to play with the likes of Alabama and Clemson, they need to take that next step in getting the bodies en masse, on both sides of the ball. Recruiting, rhino cum and Socha.
    Mad_Son said:

Comparing this team to the best Pac 8/10/12 teams of all time is beyond FS.

https://www.huskermax.com/rating.html

Sure, the last 5 years are missing (no pac 12 teams need apply anyways though) and Sagarin isn't perfect but I'm not aware of a better objective measure for all time best teams than this. 1991 Washington was more dominant in their time than almost any other team ever. Of course we didn't actually need statistics to tell us that...
    A case could be made for 72 USC, 91 UW and 03/04 USC.

• DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 62,377 Founders Club

tenndawg said:

And the winner of The HH "I Have No Fucking Life" Competition...the the big lean oarsman himself...he's probably listening to Neil Young or Bob Dylan on an 8 track player...
    Good guess Miami Vice Dawg, but no cigar.

The Beatles were basically the Backstreet Boys of the 60s.

#OBKlogik
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 104,479 Founders Club
    This team is the 84 team with Jake Millen at QB

tenndawg said:

Good guess Miami Vice Dawg, but no cigar.

The Beatles were basically the Backstreet Boys of the 60s.

#OBKlogik
    Chinned for the OBK Logic reference but still - fuck off.

That was a pretty good squad on both sides. Maybe not even that high. Maybe more 81/82'ish.

That was a pretty good squad on both sides. Maybe not even that high. Maybe more 81/82'ish.

What was the year Chuck Nelson fucked us in the AC? Before my time as a Dawg Fan.