Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

The Lesson of Woodstock

2»

Comments

• Options
    EsophagealFecesEsophagealFeces Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 11,478
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club

tenndawg said:

After the game the Pirate said it was like Woodstock except that everyone still had their clothes on. People tend to forget that the best bands of the era did not play at Woodstock. Chew on that for a minute.

Did you get smacked in the skull with an oar ?

Jimi played...and I still youtube Jefferson Airplane at Woidstick to watch Grace

Who (besides HH members) cares if a bunch of Brit fags didn't play ?
    No, but I was in the Skull and Oars secret society. Listen here hillbilly, the Stones did their own Woodstock on the west side which wasn't a bunch of peace and love bull shit. It was tuff, complete with Hell's Angels punching Grace Slick's guitar player in the face. Oh and Dylan didn't play at Woodstock either. Sad...it's not like Nashville Skyline sucked.
    Dylan is trash. Possibly the most overrated musician of all time.
    Stone cold fact right there. Saw a Dylan show in college, prob 98, and left half way through. What a borefest. He may be able to write songs but he sure as shit can’t sing them. He sucks ass on the harmonica as well.
    Mick Jagger sucked at the Super Bowl a few years ago too. Singers aren't as good 40 years past their prime. Fucking shocker.
  • Options
    MikeSeaverMikeSeaver Member Posts: 4,405
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    edited October 2017
    Speaking of Jefferson Airplane. I’ve watched the Woodstock film several or so times and I have a question for those of you with more music knowledge than I. Why did they cut “We Built This City” from the final film? Obviously one of the biggest hits out there.
  • Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,952
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

tenndawg said:

After the game the Pirate said it was like Woodstock except that everyone still had their clothes on. People tend to forget that the best bands of the era did not play at Woodstock. Chew on that for a minute.

Jimi played...and I still youtube Jefferson Airplane at Woidstick to watch Grace

No, but I was in the Skull and Oars secret society. Listen here hillbilly, the Stones did their own Woodstock on the west side which wasn't a bunch of peace and love bull shit. It was tuff, complete with Hell's Angels punching Grace Slick's guitar player in the face. Oh and Dylan didn't play at Woodstock either. Sad...it's not like Nashville Skyline sucked.
    Stone cold fact right there. Saw a Dylan show in college, prob 98, and left half way through. What a borefest. He may be able to write songs but he sure as shit can’t sing them. He sucks ass on the harmonica as well.
    Mick Jagger sucked at the Super Bowl a few years ago too. Singers aren't as good 40 years past their prime. Fucking shocker.
    I love the Stones more than any guy here @89ute included but they have sounded good live in over 40 years. I don't care how great the artist is - there is an expiration date. My Dad used to talk about seeing Sinatra live in the early 80s and how much it sucked. Shocking - he was 70 by then!
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,863
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

tenndawg said:

You can't judge 60s rock stars based on how they sounded in the late 90s. All of them were old fucking geezers who should have died before they got old. If you listen to the live Dylan material from say 1966 when the Band was backing him or the Rolling Thunder Revue from 1975 he sounded kick ass and not boring.
    Kevin McHale > Dylan

Hibbing superiority guy.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Speaking of Jefferson Airplane. I’ve watched the Woodstock film several or so times and I have a question for those of you with more music knowledge than I. Why did they cut “We Built This City” from the final film? Obviously one of the biggest hits out there.

Starships are different than airplanes bruh.
  • Options
    RubberfistRubberfist Member Posts: 1,373
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes

tenndawg said:

You can't judge 60s rock stars based on how they sounded in the late 90s. All of them were old fucking geezers who should have died before they got old. If you listen to the live Dylan material from say 1966 when the Band was backing him or the Rolling Thunder Revue from 1975 he sounded kick ass and not boring.
    The main problem with this theory is that he’s never been able to sing. Presumably he had skilled engineers working on his albums but you’d never know it. Oh and he’s always been a shit harmonica player.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

tenndawg said:

The main problem with this theory is that he’s never been able to sing. Presumably he had skilled engineers working on his albums but you’d never know it. Oh and he’s always been a shit harmonica player.
    That misses the point on Dylan - he has never had a great singing voice and it's a matter of taste really. But he paved the way for all singers that came after him that had vocals which were not great in a conventional sense. Furthermore his creativity as a songwriter, especially in the mid 60s was second to none and influenced EVERY artists that followed him. Re: Harmonica - I prefer a sloppy harmonica sound like Dylan or Neil Young. Blue Traveler type harmonica virtuoso stuff does nothing for me.
  • Options
    89ute89ute Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,453
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited October 2017

tenndawg said:

I love the Stones more than any guy here @89ute included but they have sounded good live in over 40 years. I don't care how great the artist is - there is an expiration date. My Dad used to talk about seeing Sinatra live in the early 80s and how much it sucked. Shocking - he was 70 by then!
    Say what????11!!!??1

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    89ute said:

tenndawg said:

Say what????11!!!??1

Show up at the Ute car wash off Foothill wearing a Voodo Lounge Tour shirt and see what happens.
  • Options
    89ute89ute Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,453
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I like the Ute car wash on 3rd East 2nd South. I'd post a pic but I'm either a fucking retard or Vanilla is fucking with Stalin.

Oh, which Voodoo Lounge Tour shirt, I can go black or white?
  • Options
    KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,750
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    edited October 2017

tenndawg said:

Dylan was an Emperors New Clothes analogy. He was a legendary songwriter but always has been a horrible singer. Sheeple flocked to his shows and said they liked them because they were supposed to or they'd be outed as a square if they didn't go and say they liked him.
  • Options
    CuntWaffleCuntWaffle Member Posts: 22,493
    First Anniversary 5 Fuck Offs 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Old man thread is old
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    salemcoog said:

tenndawg said:

Dylan was an Emperors New Clothes analogy. He was a legendary songwriter but always has been a horrible singer. Sheeple flocked to his shows and said they liked them because they were supposed to or they'd be outed as a square if they didn't go and say they liked him.
    They flocked to see him and bought his records because no one had written songs like that before.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Old man thread is old

If the contemporary recording artists made better music we'd be less likely to go down old man music tangents.
  • Options
    FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes
    89ute said:

tenndawg said:

Say what????11!!!??1

damn that would make ray rice proud
  • Options
    Fenderbender123Fenderbender123 Member Posts: 2,867
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Standard Supporter
    Ten Years After playing I'm Going Home is the only live recording from Woodstock that I enjoy. The rest sound awful to me.