Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Lavon Coleman 2 carries Myles Gaskin 6 carries against mighty Griz

Comments

• TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    edited September 2017

uzi said:

uzi said:

uzi said:

It's Montana. Why give them a lot of carries?

If this was a game against a real team, I would maybe think otherwise. It's not though.

Because, as anybody that understands sports will tell you... you are good at what you practice.

If we can't run on Montana or Rutgers, how the fuck are we going to run on Oregon, Stanford, or any other Pac-12 team?

And it isn't just about Gaskin or Coleman, it is also about our OL doing run blocking against somebody other than our scout team or our own D.
    They were even shittier at running the ball in the first three games of last year. LIPO
    And look how that worked for us when it came time to play good defenses (USC, Bama).
    So you're saying that if we had let Gaskin and Coleman run wild against Portland State, we would have run all over Bama and USC?
    I'm saying if we prioritized the run in all games, we'd be better at the run in big games.

I don't see other good teams trying to save their RBs from getting dinged up, it is a pussy excuse.

Pete himself has said we need to prioritize the run more... you think you know better than him?

Something is wrong with our run game, and it needs to be fixed, or we will be back to 3rd place in the Pac12 North.
    We ran the ball well in every game but one. We didn't run well against Alabama because they were dominant up front. Nobody could run on them.

We ran fairly well against USC, especially in the first half. We abandoned it way too early.
    Washington ran the ball well for one drive - the second field goal drive. After halftime they tried for a bit and got stuffed. Gaskin had 51 yards on 15 carries.

They should have tried a bit longer, but let's not act like it was working well because the facts show otherwise.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/boxscore?gameId=400869157

• NeGgaPlEaSeNeGgaPlEaSe Member Posts: 5,729

I'm gonna break this down Revenge of the Nerds style. College football is not your faggy dungeons and dragons RPG that you play in your mom's basement. You do not level up your player"s stats and abilities by using them repeatedly against early weak opponents.

Having Jake lead the team in rushing kinda destroys that theory
    edited September 2017
    dflea said:

I'm gonna break this down Revenge of the Nerds style. College football is not your faggy dungeons and dragons RPG that you play in your mom's basement. You do not level up your player"s stats and abilities by using them repeatedly against early weak opponents.

Those weren't designed rushing plays, but still.

What you should be asking is why our fucking receivers can't get open against griz db's.
    Exactly my point. Jake running for his life, because Smith is not making him get rid of the ball quickly. Why are they passing so much anyway? Seems to me the tight ends were open all game long. Does smith have a problem with quick passes over the middle to tight ends? Why is he always trying to throw deep to receivers Like Chico?
  • TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680

dflea said:

Those weren't designed rushing plays, but still.

What you should be asking is why our fucking receivers can't get open against griz db's.
    Exactly my point. Jake running for his life, because Smith is not making him get rid of the ball quickly. Why are they passing so much anyway? Seems to me the tight ends were open all game long. Does smith have a problem with quick passes over the middle to tight ends? Why is he always trying to throw deep to receivers Like Chico?
    @Babushka sucks.

Welcome to three years ago.
  • TommySQCTommySQC Member Posts: 5,813
    Baseman said:

3 to 1. One and three. Gaskin to the Coleman.

Finkle is Einhorn?
  • The_UndertakerThe_Undertaker Member Posts: 521
    uzi said:

Somehow, Alabama and Wisconsin both managed to run on their respective scrimmage opponents yesterday. Looks like their coaches aren't aware of the fact that you are supposed to save your guys from getting dinged up -- save them for the real season.

What is the point of running 80% of the plays against a team like Montana? Petersen, you, me, everybody knows we won't be able to do this against the best defenses and be competitive. Our team is just not built like an Alabama or Wisconsin. Our running game will be good enough when it matters, and we will rely on a balanced offense.
    So what's the point? Show you can bully a weak team and arrive with an unprepared passing game when you need it? Because from what I see there is still work to do in the passing game.

uzi said:

Somehow, Alabama and Wisconsin both managed to run on their respective scrimmage opponents yesterday. Looks like their coaches aren't aware of the fact that you are supposed to save your guys from getting dinged up -- save them for the real season.

What is the point of running 80% of the plays against a team like Montana? Petersen, you, me, everybody knows we won't be able to do this against the best defenses and be competitive. Our team is just not built like an Alabama or Wisconsin. Our running game will be good enough when it matters, and we will rely on a balanced offense.
    So what's the point? Show you can bully a weak team and arrive with an unprepared passing game when you need it? Because from what I see there is still work to do in the passing game.
    Running is simple. Line up in a power set, run down hill, control the clock, don't expose your qb. The bigger team wins. Last time I checked, the offensive line loves to run block. If you're telling me UW should be running trick plays to an all American tackle, then I give up
  • uziuzi Member Posts: 1,298
    Just catching up on other scores.

Even San Diego State was able to run on their scrimmage cupcake.

I guess our running game can't be expected to be as good as SDSU.
  • GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,485 Standard Supporter
    Awfully late for September 10, 2016
  • WilburHooksHandsWilburHooksHands Member Posts: 6,793
    lmao @ all these scrimmage threads
  • FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823

It's just that smith and Pete don't really value the run game as much as other teams do. It's disappointing beyond belief for me, but it is what it is until Pete decides to lean on the run game instead of his QB who should be a game manager.

In short, the offense is the exact same as last year, we'll do well enough against shit teams, and when we face a team with good athletes or a sound defense we will struggle.

Good news is the PAC12 is mostly shit defenses.

You said it best last year. Babushka does not value first downs. Who gives a fuck about putting up stats. It should be about running an efficient time control offense and have an amazing d