Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Ed Cunningham sells broadcast booth couch

Comments

• dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614

AEB said:

TL; DR summary:

"On the one hand, I grossed $5-8mm over the last 10 years broadcasting games and created contacts throughout the entertainment industry, while on the other hand, in my first move into the entertainment industry outside the broadcast booth, I produced a highly acclaimed film about none other than a high school football team, but on the other hand, I'm morally opposed to football due to CTE until the rule changes come into place making the game safer, which I also know is an impossibility."

The duplicity exhibited here is example 10,000 about the broader bankruptcy of our society. Our board stands as a beacon of light in a sea of nincompoops.

The entire substance of the quote is to acknowledge the conflict between his personal gain from football and his beliefs about its collective cost so no...not really.

Whatever you think about this #profileincourage he isn't hiding the fact that football was good to him personally.
    Exactly

• doogiedoogie Member Posts: 15,072
    It's easier to be a SJW with $5-8M in the bank than not.
  • PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 43,526 Standard Supporter

AEB said:

TL; DR summary:

"On the one hand, I grossed $5-8mm over the last 10 years broadcasting games and created contacts throughout the entertainment industry, while on the other hand, in my first move into the entertainment industry outside the broadcast booth, I produced a highly acclaimed film about none other than a high school football team, but on the other hand, I'm morally opposed to football due to CTE until the rule changes come into place making the game safer, which I also know is an impossibility."

The duplicity exhibited here is example 10,000 about the broader bankruptcy of our society. Our board stands as a beacon of light in a sea of nincompoops.

The entire substance of the quote is to acknowledge the conflict between his personal gain from football and his beliefs about its collective cost so no...not really.

Whatever you think about this #profileincourage he isn't hiding the fact that football was good to him personally.
    STFU, Ed.
  • CokeGreaterThanPepsiCokeGreaterThanPepsi Member Posts: 7,646
    Only way the game continues on in 20 years is if players just stop hitting each other with and into their heads and stop getting so big and fast. There is so much money in it that it will continue somehow, but it won't look like anything that it is now.
  • Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,851
    Just make em sign a fucking waiver.
  • GreenRiverGatorzGreenRiverGatorz Member Posts: 10,163

Way to die on your sword. #courage.

Jesus. What a drama queen.

Maybe Ed and roof can scissor one another.

The guy is still giving up at least another 15 years of one of the cushiest jobs imaginable. Whether you agree or disagree with his concern about the morality of staying involved in the sport, there's really nothing to debate as far as what he's sacrificing.
  • YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 34,943 Founders Club
  • PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 43,526 Standard Supporter

Way to die on your sword. #courage.

Jesus. What a drama queen.

Maybe Ed and roof can scissor one another.

The guy is still giving up at least another 15 years of one of the cushiest jobs imaginable. Whether you agree or disagree with his concern about the morality of staying involved in the sport, there's really nothing to debate as far as what he's sacrificing.
    He should probably give back all the ill-begotten dollars he's received then.

• FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    idk I don't have much sympathy for the players. There is reason y u get paid that much money to play a game and fuck them broads. There is a cost associated with this profession.
  • YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 34,943 Founders Club
    We had a close family friend growing up who played right guard in the NFL for like 4 seasons in the 1970's. He seems ok in the head to me.
  • CuntWaffleCuntWaffle Member Posts: 22,493

We had a close family friend growing up who played right guard in the NFL for like 4 seasons in the 1970's. He seems ok in the head to me.

Varies by position. O line do not get hit by linebackers and safeties running full speed at you very often. It's probably one of the safer positions in football.
  • animateanimate Member Posts: 4,236

Varies by position. O line do not get hit by linebackers and safeties running full speed at you very often. It's probably one of the safer positions in football.
    Safer for the head? I don't know ... Maybe. But their bodies get fucked for life. 300lb plus guys slamming into each other over and over ...
  • AEBAEB Member Posts: 2,971

AEB said:

TL; DR summary:

It would've been more powerful if he had stayed in the booth and advocated for changes to rules or condem coaches putting players in danger, if he had used his microphone as a bully pulpit.

(Yes he would've been fired and it would've all been very melodramatic)

Instead, he leveraged the position for everything including his new career which he created as a result of his relationships formed through his broadcasting career and then months after resigning comes out publicly with this stance.

Cue up everyone's favorite warrior poet, Yogi Roth, for the profile in courage.
  • Mosster47Mosster47 Member Posts: 6,246

Only way the game continues on in 20 years is if players just stop hitting each other with and into their heads and stop getting so big and fast. There is so much money in it that it will continue somehow, but it won't look like anything that it is now.

I disagree. There is way less contact today across the board that ten years ago you wouldn't even recognize the game behind the scenes. The influx of nutrition, science, and therapy have made things so much different.

Flag football is being promoted for younger ages and even the NFL is backing this up. The game at it's core it blocking and tackling. Blocking is heart/effort and tackling is a state of mind. You don't need pads on to know who is going to bring it when the lights come on. The one thing that has changed is there are very few kids that work there way into something. If you're a pussy as a freshman you're a pussy as a senior. We don't hit enough anymore for you to get tough.

The spread out game has resulted in much less contact as well. Look to the early 90's when Houston was an anomaly running a wide open spread out offense where today Stanford is an anomaly running a box heavy running offense.

The NFL level is something that shouldn't even be talked about by normal people. Those are 1 per million type human beings. Your 185lb son playing corner at a 4A school isn't going to have any type of similarities playing football that an NFL player will. Those as the baddest mother fuckers on the planet trying to kill each other.

Today a high school program that is worth anything has a two week fall camp, single day practices. The first two days are helmets, the third shells, fourth and fifth full pads. Then three days the second week will be full pads. The rest of season if your team is good enough to get better without really getting after it you only go full pads on game day. Factoring in a playoff game that's 17 days of full contact in a season. If your team sucks you go full pads on Wednesday so that gets you to 26 days of full contact a year.

Concussion diagnosis and recovery is taken very seriously at all levels too. Football is "fixed" and it's not going anywhere. Anything you hear otherwise is pandering. Yes, those old NFL guys have scrambled brains. They went full pads four days a week for a decade or more and had double day practices. You're talking about 65 days a year of getting your head smacked around over 17. They also did just blatant things to increase contact which doesn't happen anymore.
  • GwadGwad Member Posts: 2,855

I always felt Ed should be more worried about how steroids affect the brain

Well with the probability of hypogonadism probably positively as blood flow will be redirected to the thinking head.