Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Let me ask a question...

SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,358 Founders Club
How long after an egregious event happens does it take to get over it? Slavery was a terrible thing. So was segregation. One ended roughly 140 years ago, the other 50ish years ago.

I am not saying things are perfect everywhere, before anyone starts crying. But...

How long should it take to move forward? 10 years? 50 years? 100 years? Never? How many generations removed from a terrible thing do we have to go before everyone just says fuck it, time to move on and shit?

All opinions welcome unless you are a whiny crying cunt.

Comments

• YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 35,019 Founders Club
    edited August 2017
    That's a spendy question right there.
  • SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,358 Founders Club
    Indeed. I am curious what people think. I wonder if race is still going to be a central issue in this country in 500 years? Will there be KKK morons still hatin' and blowing up churches, and Jesse Jackson fuckheads still profiteering off racial issues and slavery 700 years after the fact.
  • SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,358 Founders Club
    BearsWiin said:

22 years

HWWT

I love you and your specificity.
  • BearsWiinBearsWiin Member Posts: 5,028
    Swaye said:

BearsWiin said:

22 years

HWWT

I love you and your specificity.
    Fuck you for quoting me before I could fix the misspelling
  • CuntWaffleCuntWaffle Member Posts: 22,499
    for me about 5 seconds after I hear about it
  • TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Swaye said:

How long after an egregious event happens does it take to get over it? Slavery was a terrible thing. So was segregation. One ended roughly 140 years ago, the other 50ish years ago.

I am not saying things are perfect everywhere, before anyone starts crying. But...

How long should it take to move forward? 10 years? 50 years? 100 years? Never? How many generations removed from a terrible thing do we have to go before everyone just says fuck it, time to move on and shit?

We have losers here who still can't let go of 1984's runner-up season to USC
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 104,648 Founders Club

It takes hundreds or thousands of years for human cultures to evolve, and I don't think any particular culture on earth can recover from hundreds of years of injustice in just several generations.

So Blacks should be blaming Democrats for the horribly racist 1860 and 1864 campaigns, Jim Crow, and the Klan? For Wilson kicking Blacks out of the Civil Service? For FDR keeping the army segregated?
  • Doog_de_JourDoog_de_Jour Member Posts: 7,965 Standard Supporter
    An excellent question sir. History seems divided on the subject as some groups bounce back pretty quickly while others keep holding onto the pain for a.very.long.time. - even when they forget what brought about their feelings in the first place.

Without debating if these feelings are justified, the common thread I see between groups that don't recover as quickly is they make their suffering part of (if not their entire) identity. Let's face it, that can happen pretty easily if you continue to experience prejudice and/or have people saying, "well, you aren't making it because of THIS" to you constantly.

And not unlike @BearsWiin 's UW-Oregon example, in some cases it doesn't go away until you've beaten those that previously oppressed you.

So unfortunately I don't have a time-based answer. I guess it just depends.
  • phineasphineas Member Posts: 4,732
    Swaye said:

Indeed. I am curious what people think. I wonder if race is still going to be a central issue in this country in 500 years? Will there be KKK morons still hatin' and blowing up churches, and Jesse Jackson fuckheads still profiteering off racial issues and slavery 700 years after the fact.

If this country continues down this path we won't make it another 100 years, let alone 500.

And if we do, global warming surely should have killed us off by then. Right? Thank trump!
  • phineasphineas Member Posts: 4,732

It takes hundreds or thousands of years for human cultures to evolve, and I don't think any particular culture on earth can recover from hundreds of years of injustice in just several generations.

So Blacks should be blaming Democrats for the horribly racist 1860 and 1864 campaigns, Jim Crow, and the Klan? For Wilson kicking Blacks out of the Civil Service? For FDR keeping the army segregated?
    I don't know which party is responsible but blacks should be hounding them for continuing on this affirmative action bs IMO. Maybe it helped at the start but it's doing more harm than good IMO
  • creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,994
    edited August 2017
    Swaye said:

For the blicks, another eight years and seven months. For what the pale face did to our? People? NEVER!

You need to get back to the res ASAP. You are getting all intellectual and shit. I don't like it one bit.
  • TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680

You're making it way too simple. If the day slavery ended all racist laws had ended it might be a fair question.

You're saying how many generations to move on from a terrible thing but which terrible thing? Like when should they get over last weekends march? Knowing that there are people in this country that hate you because of the color of your skin and they are willing to make a public show of how they want their country back?

I don't think it would bother me personally but if I was black and had a kid, I'd be pretty freaked out right now. You have to worry about white supremacists, the police and other black people (CHICAGO I KNOW).

Racism can and does exist without slavery but in our country with our history it's all tied together. These are the echos of slavery. For christs sake the whole weekend was about celebrating Robert E Fucking Lee. How about this, how about fucking white people in the south get over the fucking Civil War and then we can talk to black people about slavery?

This is why we want you back

One of the under reported long term effects of slavery was the dehumanization required to sell it to white people. We definitely still feel that today. Since most whites didn't own slaves but had to go along with it Blacks had to be made less than human. Say three fifths.

That pernicious racism did last long after slavery as an excuse for those coloreds to pump the brakes on all the freedom shit. Weren't ready for it, can't handle it, didn't spend enough time in the film room etc.

You can make your way as an individual while keeping a group identity. As much as we like good natured ribbing of the Jews, they found success in the face of centuries of pogroms and will NEVER forget Hitler but they by and large are successful.

• NeGgaPlEaSeNeGgaPlEaSe Member Posts: 5,729
    edited August 2017
    Swaye said:

I say about 300 years... ozone later will be depleted, squamous cell carcinoma will kill off all the weak and genetic isolation will fall to intermixing of races. Hypertrophic melenan will prevail and differences in skin color will fade as humans begin to look more like one race.

And legalized slavery lasted well over 300 years, and all the forms prior and after emancipation proclamation, like apprenticeship programs