Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

PM to HH history experts, YellowSnow, BearsWiin, AZDuck, Tommy etc

dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
Is the truth on the ole general closer to the "kindly Lee" narrative or this article?

Too long to poast

Comments

• TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Neither "side." It was one character.

Your characterization of "side" is Identity Politics 101, and therein lies the problem.
  • YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 35,019 Founders Club
    Chinteresting piece. Will add my thoughts shortly.
  • YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 35,019 Founders Club
    edited August 2017
  • Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,860
    OMG I don't care
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 104,645 Founders Club
    I forgot I wrote that
  • WilburHooksHandsWilburHooksHands Member Posts: 6,793
    Baseman said:

Heinrich Himmler betrayed Hitler and tried to save lives by approaching the Catholic Church to broker a peace deal and end the war which if successful would have saved hundreds of thousands of lives. In November 1944 he ordered the extermination of Jews to cease which his subordinates ignored.

I might be mistaken but I don't believe anyone nominated Himmler for the Nobel Peace Prize.

Might have been the SS Death Castle he built.
  • BasemanBaseman Member Posts: 12,365

Baseman said:

Heinrich Himmler betrayed Hitler and tried to save lives by approaching the Catholic Church to broker a peace deal and end the war which if successful would have saved hundreds of thousands of lives. In November 1944 he ordered the extermination of Jews to cease which his subordinates ignored.

I might be mistaken but I don't believe anyone nominated Himmler for the Nobel Peace Prize.

Might have been the SS Death Castle he built.
    He created when Hitler ordered the Fatherland destroyed.
  • GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,487 Standard Supporter

I forgot I wrote that

I thought that Private Browning letter, along with the comic of Sark dancing on the bar at the Dutchess, was one of your best non-Duck Fighter Illustrated works.

And yes, the Kens Burns series, while I wouldn't say is love letter, definitely paints Lee as a bit of tragic hero (then again, you could tell in his interviews Shelby Foote had a full on man-crush on the general )...which he was in a way. He had fought for the United States Army for many years, and until his state left the Union, was deeply devoted to it. I'm not saying he made the right decision, but when I try to put myself in his shoes, I can't imagine how difficult it must've been to chose between your home state and the country you had served for so long. Then again, there were Southerners who opted to stay loyal (Sam Houston being the most high profile one I can think of - and like Lee he was a slave holder).

@YellowSnow thank you for bringing up how Nebraska-classy Lee was when he surrendered. That's where I think the "kindly Lee" reputation is earned. Right or wrong, he was probably the voice most Confederates would listen to ('cause let's face it, it wasn't Jefferson Davis), so he definitely could've dragged out the war if he had wished.
    Free pub!Race did it again.

Late chin for you on the sawbones poast. Great chit.