Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Reverse mortgages: scourge of millenials

2»

Comments

• creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,993

Joe Don would kick the Rock's ass by the way

Might need to get a ruling from @creepycoug on this one. I haven't seen the original version and therefore cannot offer an opinion.
    Joe Don. Hands down. Not even a discushin.
  • UWhuskytskeetUWhuskytskeet Member Posts: 7,110
    salemcoog said:

salemcoog said:

I don't what the deal is with house prices these days...all I know is that my parents bought a a decent house for a family of 4 in the late 1980s in eastern Washington for like $55,000, and then sold it in 2005 for like $200,000. And they didn't add-on to it or restore it or anything fancy like that , and it wasn't in some tourist hot spot either. That was just how much the general price of houses went up in 20 years.

So that's almost quadruple the price. Now, I don't know if this is the right way to do the math, but wages certainly haven't quadrupled in that time frame, either. And it's more costly to get a job these days, too. My dad bought that house on a truck driver salary...a job he got with no experience, no schooling, and no special license. He got it by simply walking into a place that said "hiring truck drivers", going on a drive with an experienced driver, and having that driver tell his boss "yeah, he did good, you should hire him", and the boss saying "okay, be here tomorrow at 7". And it wasn't no high-stress trucking job, either. They were short runs in-state, he was home by 6pm every night, and he had weekends off. With that job, he was able to buy a decent house and raise 2 kids while m y mom stayed home and raised us, cooked for us, cleaned, etc.

I'm not saying baby boomers had it easier overall, but in some ways they did.

Interest rates were in the double digits in the 80's and lenders were more stringent than when they sold the house in 2005. They literally wrote stated income loans that allowed for no income verification.... At all and it only cost you half a point to do so in 2005. So in reality your income only needed to increase 50% as you could buy that house at 4.5% in 2005 with $0 down as opposed to the 15-19% that your parents had on their loan.
    Hey you said something correct!

Another difference is that many people don't get to take advantage of deducting mortgage interest with rates so low. That wasn't a problem when rates were 15%.
    Hey you didn't!!!!... again.

When you are paying 15% on a $50,000 loan, the interest deduction is only slightly lower than when your paying 4.5% on a 200,000 loan.

But I get it,That pesky arithmetic is HARD!!!
    Hey look, you are dumb again!

Guess how long you can continue to itemize mortgage interest with a 15% rate vs a 4% rate.
  • SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,358 Founders Club

I would like a good crash.

salemcoog said:

salemcoog said:

I don't what the deal is with house prices these days...all I know is that my parents bought a a decent house for a family of 4 in the late 1980s in eastern Washington for like $55,000, and then sold it in 2005 for like $200,000. And they didn't add-on to it or restore it or anything fancy like that , and it wasn't in some tourist hot spot either. That was just how much the general price of houses went up in 20 years.

So that's almost quadruple the price. Now, I don't know if this is the right way to do the math, but wages certainly haven't quadrupled in that time frame, either. And it's more costly to get a job these days, too. My dad bought that house on a truck driver salary...a job he got with no experience, no schooling, and no special license. He got it by simply walking into a place that said "hiring truck drivers", going on a drive with an experienced driver, and having that driver tell his boss "yeah, he did good, you should hire him", and the boss saying "okay, be here tomorrow at 7". And it wasn't no high-stress trucking job, either. They were short runs in-state, he was home by 6pm every night, and he had weekends off. With that job, he was able to buy a decent house and raise 2 kids while m y mom stayed home and raised us, cooked for us, cleaned, etc.

Interest rates were in the double digits in the 80's and lenders were more stringent than when they sold the house in 2005. They literally wrote stated income loans that allowed for no income verification.... At all and it only cost you half a point to do so in 2005. So in reality your income only needed to increase 50% as you could buy that house at 4.5% in 2005 with $0 down as opposed to the 15-19% that your parents had on their loan.

Another difference is that many people don't get to take advantage of deducting mortgage interest with rates so low. That wasn't a problem when rates were 15%.

When you are paying 15% on a $50,000 loan, the interest deduction is only slightly lower than when your paying 4.5% on a 200,000 loan.

It's too early in the morning for this kind of brain busting shit
    He says at 11AM. Proves you are a messican btw.

How do you starve a messican?

Hide his food stamps under his work boots.
  • Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,860
    Swaye said:

salemcoog said:

salemcoog said:

Do lazy jokes work for Mexicans?

Swaye said:

salemcoog said:

salemcoog said:

They do when your Injun. It's called deflection.
  • KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,849
    edited August 2017

salemcoog said:

salemcoog said:

Guess how long you can continue to itemize mortgage interest with a 15% rate vs a 4% rate.
    As long as the term is or as long as its worth it to do so. It makes no difference.

Let may put this in a way that you can understand. Unless you are really trying to say its better to pay interest in so that you may get a tax deduction, rather than not have to pay it and have the cash in hand. Cuz that's really dumb.

• UWhuskytskeetUWhuskytskeet Member Posts: 7,110
    salemcoog said:

salemcoog said:

salemcoog said:

As long as the term is or as long as its worth it to do so. It makes no difference.

Let may put this in a way that you can understand. Unless you are really trying to say its better to pay interest in so that you may get a tax deduction, rather than not have to pay it and have the cash in hand. Cuz that's really dumb.

No, I'm saying that while the interest rates were much higher, you were able to itemize and deduct the interest for a longer portion of the mortgage. Married couples could itemize for an extra seven years on average.
  • PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 43,664 Standard Supporter

Swaye said:

salemcoog said:

salemcoog said:

Only the fat drunk mouse. Not Speedy Gonzalez, the fastest mouse in all of Messico.

• doogiedoogie Member Posts: 15,072

salemcoog said:

salemcoog said:

salemcoog said:

No, I'm saying that while the interest rates were much higher, you were able to itemize and deduct the interest for a longer portion of the mortgage. Married couples could itemize for an extra seven years on average.
    You're problem is, you want to check out of the Hotel California when you 'should' be taking out a HEQ loan as down payment on another rental so you can keep deducting!
    doogie said:

salemcoog said:

salemcoog said:

salemcoog said:

You're problem is, you want to check out of the Hotel California when you 'should' be taking out a HEQ loan as down payment on another rental so you can keep deducting!
    Deducting is for pussies.

To compete with sledog you gotta up your game
  • Mosster47Mosster47 Member Posts: 6,246
    If your parents want to essentially give away your inheritance for 33 cents on the dollar then go reverse mortgage!
  • dfleadflea Member Posts: 7,228
    Mosster47 said:

If your parents want to essentially give away your inheritance for 33 cents on the dollar then go reverse mortgage!

If you need to go the reverse mortgage route because your heirs aren't looking out for you, then fuck them anyway. They deserve a third of what they thought was coming to them.,
  • Mosster47Mosster47 Member Posts: 6,246
    dflea said:

Mosster47 said:

If you need to go the reverse mortgage route because your heirs aren't looking out for you, then fuck them anyway. They deserve a third of what they thought was coming to them.,
    So I have to pay for my parent's poor career choices now?

Pass.
  • doogiedoogie Member Posts: 15,072
    Reverse mortgages are for those too paralyzed to make a sound financial decision or for rich folks to fund the life insurance plans in their tax avoidance estate tax plans.

Neither is a good use of government intervention.
    Mosster47 said:

dflea said:

Mosster47 said:

So I have to pay for my mom's poor sexual choices now?

Pass.