Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Reverse mortgages: scourge of millenials

doogiedoogie Member Posts: 15,072

Comments

• 2001400ex2001400ex Member Posts: 29,457
    Clearly then the government must step in to force these old folks to sell and move into their kids basement. The free market isn't working.
  • doogiedoogie Member Posts: 15,072
    2001400ex said:

Clearly then the government must step in to force these old folks to sell and move into their kids basement. The free market isn't working.

You stooped motherfucker, it's the Government that killed the free market.
  • Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 23,559 Founders Club
    I've never heavily researched reverse mortgages, but just the way they are described by some old celeb shill like Pat Boone makes them sound really shady.
  • KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,849
    edited August 2017

I've never heavily researched reverse mortgages, but just the way they are described by some old celeb shill like Pat Boone makes them sound really shady.

But But the late Fred Thompson and Tom Selleck also endorse them. They're great for the homeowner but a pain in the ass for the person who inherits the home, especiallyif they aren't gainfully employed and have good credit. Say.... like a standard HH poaster.
  • Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,860
    salemcoog said:

But But the late Fred Thompson and Tom Selleck also endorse them. They're great for the homeowner but a pain in the ass for the person who inherits the home, especiallyif they aren't gainfully employed and have good credit. Say.... like a standard HH poaster.
    We have good credit?

salemcoog said:

We have good credit?
    NO.
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 104,641 Founders Club
    This is but the tip of the iceberg. Housing is holding up the house of cards. If the banks had to write off all the bad loans they are sitting on we have Crash 2, the Sequal.

The only equity most Americans have is the paper on their house if they own a house or on the house they are renting out to a millennial.

Regulations make it very expensive to build new housing hence the booming market for rehabbing old stock and 5. Profit

salemcoog said:

This reverse mortgage business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it.

We need an @Auburndawg power ranking of Fred Thompson careers.
    Separated at birth?

Joe Don would kick the Rock's ass by the way
  • UWhuskytskeetUWhuskytskeet Member Posts: 7,110
    salemcoog said:

I don't what the deal is with house prices these days...all I know is that my parents bought a a decent house for a family of 4 in the late 1980s in eastern Washington for like $55,000, and then sold it in 2005 for like $200,000. And they didn't add-on to it or restore it or anything fancy like that , and it wasn't in some tourist hot spot either. That was just how much the general price of houses went up in 20 years.

So that's almost quadruple the price. Now, I don't know if this is the right way to do the math, but wages certainly haven't quadrupled in that time frame, either. And it's more costly to get a job these days, too. My dad bought that house on a truck driver salary...a job he got with no experience, no schooling, and no special license. He got it by simply walking into a place that said "hiring truck drivers", going on a drive with an experienced driver, and having that driver tell his boss "yeah, he did good, you should hire him", and the boss saying "okay, be here tomorrow at 7". And it wasn't no high-stress trucking job, either. They were short runs in-state, he was home by 6pm every night, and he had weekends off. With that job, he was able to buy a decent house and raise 2 kids while m y mom stayed home and raised us, cooked for us, cleaned, etc.

I'm not saying baby boomers had it easier overall, but in some ways they did.

Interest rates were in the double digits in the 80's and lenders were more stringent than when they sold the house in 2005. They literally wrote stated income loans that allowed for no income verification.... At all and it only cost you half a point to do so in 2005. So in reality your income only needed to increase 50% as you could buy that house at 4.5% in 2005 with $0 down as opposed to the 15-19% that your parents had on their loan.
    Hey you said something correct!

Another difference is that many people don't get to take advantage of deducting mortgage interest with rates so low. That wasn't a problem when rates were 15%.
  • YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 35,019 Founders Club

Joe Don would kick the Rock's ass by the way

Might need to get a ruling from @creepycoug on this one. I haven't seen the original version and therefore cannot offer an opinion.

salemcoog said:

I don't what the deal is with house prices these days...all I know is that my parents bought a a decent house for a family of 4 in the late 1980s in eastern Washington for like $55,000, and then sold it in 2005 for like $200,000. And they didn't add-on to it or restore it or anything fancy like that , and it wasn't in some tourist hot spot either. That was just how much the general price of houses went up in 20 years.

So that's almost quadruple the price. Now, I don't know if this is the right way to do the math, but wages certainly haven't quadrupled in that time frame, either. And it's more costly to get a job these days, too. My dad bought that house on a truck driver salary...a job he got with no experience, no schooling, and no special license. He got it by simply walking into a place that said "hiring truck drivers", going on a drive with an experienced driver, and having that driver tell his boss "yeah, he did good, you should hire him", and the boss saying "okay, be here tomorrow at 7". And it wasn't no high-stress trucking job, either. They were short runs in-state, he was home by 6pm every night, and he had weekends off. With that job, he was able to buy a decent house and raise 2 kids while m y mom stayed home and raised us, cooked for us, cleaned, etc.

Interest rates were in the double digits in the 80's and lenders were more stringent than when they sold the house in 2005. They literally wrote stated income loans that allowed for no income verification.... At all and it only cost you half a point to do so in 2005. So in reality your income only needed to increase 50% as you could buy that house at 4.5% in 2005 with $0 down as opposed to the 15-19% that your parents had on their loan.

Another difference is that many people don't get to take advantage of deducting mortgage interest with rates so low. That wasn't a problem when rates were 15%.
    Hey you didn't!!!!... again.

When you are paying 15% on a $50,000 loan, the interest deduction is only slightly lower than when your paying 4.5% on a 200,000 loan.

But I get it,That pesky arithmetic is HARD!!!
  • Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,860
    I would like a good crash.
    salemcoog said:

salemcoog said:

Hey you didn't!!!!... again.

When you are paying 15% on a $50,000 loan, the interest deduction is only slightly lower than when your paying 4.5% on a 200,000 loan.

But I get it,That pesky arithmetic is HARD!!!
    It's too early in the morning for this kind of brain busting shit