Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Why Derek is never going to get rich off of this site

Comments

• Options
    ApostleofGriefApostleofGrief Member Posts: 3,904
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment
    haie said:

The TL;DR version is: But the truth is that running a platform for culture creation is, increasingly, a charity operation undertaken by larger companies. Servers are expensive, and advertisers would rather just throw money at Facebook than take a chance on your weird, problematic network. Generating and incubating internet culture has little market value in and of itself.

You don't know anything about servers or technology in general. Fuck off
    riiiiiiight.... well, actually I do but I didn't write the article -- one point is that weird assholes like you saying "fuck off" are one reason advertisers don't like their images sitting on the same screen.
  • Options
    edited June 2017

haie said:

The TL;DR version is: But the truth is that running a platform for culture creation is, increasingly, a charity operation undertaken by larger companies. Servers are expensive, and advertisers would rather just throw money at Facebook than take a chance on your weird, problematic network. Generating and incubating internet culture has little market value in and of itself.

riiiiiiight.... well, actually I do but I didn't write the article -- one point is that weird assholes like you saying "fuck off" are one reason advertisers don't like their images sitting on the same screen.
    Fuck off.
    Well, I didn't invent the internet or the failing culture creation websites like this one. I think you invested in this. And I know you aren't a dude either in the fuck off bro-culture here. Don't invest heavily in it...
  • Options
    edited June 2017

haie said:

Fuck off.
    Well, I didn't invent the internet or the failing culture creation websites like this one. I think you invested in this. And I know you aren't a dude either in the fuck off bro-culture here. Don't invest heavily in it...
    Feels like a "Later Guys" post is brewing.
    Derek seems like a nice guy but I have a feeling that the "Later Guys" might be from him. The tone of his announcements don't paint a picture of reaping money hand over fist. In fact it sounds exactly like exactly what is depicted in the article.
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    Hey look, at least if I flame out, I make it memorable. Most of the time I kind of enjoy the diversion of this place. I've got nothing against Derek or the crew here, but I think the internet isn't going to reward even hideously high numbers of hits with $$$ for maintaining some culture. As far as donation, no, mostly because of one or two posts. I mean, somebody posts a picture of guy falling out of a skyscraper on 911 and it gets a dozen likes. I'm actually not an asshole. I'm not personally going to fund a place for that. THere's limits. Do what you please -- but advertisers aren't paying for that and neither am I. Not a knock on Derek, again.