Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Athlon's Top 50 College Players since 1967

2»

Comments

• creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,946
    dnc said:

uzi said:

No Corey Dillon on the list? shit poll

Agree. Guy belongs up there. But since he only played 1 season of Div 1 ball, many, except Pac 10 fans, probably forget about him.
    great player, but top 50? at that position? sorry, but there are just too many great RBs. We could be here all day with that position. Jerome Bettis, Edgerin James, Chuck Muncie, Emmit Smith, a shit load of dudes not named Early Campbell or Ricky Williams who played at Texas, Eric Dickerson, Billy Sims, Mike Rozier, etc. etc.

And, for one-hit wonders, is there really anyone - other than Bo or Herschel - who is in the same zip code as Marcus Dupree? If you don't know about that guy, you need to spend 20 minutes doing a little research, and you'll see what I mean.
    LOL so we're considering Tebow just a running back now?

STOp.

I get it you hate Florida and love Miami.

I hated him in college but Tebow was a fucking monster.
    No dumb dumb fuck fuck. Dillon.

Just sToP!!!!!!!!!!
    edited June 2017
    Swaye said:

dnc said:

No Michael Vick. That panel should be ashamed of themselves.

That really is an unforgiveable omission.
    Warning: I'm going full Tequilla on this.

There are several, and there are a bunch of dumb picks on the list.

Canes with one guy. Give me a fucking break. Joke ass list.

You will certainly get no argument from me on Walker. People have really forgotten how dominant and freaky that guy was. Watch the highlight of him just running over, straight over, Billy Bates and the Vols, who was a tuff ass player. Probably the best freshman year of any player at any position ever.

And some of these role player QBs ... Leinhart? Really? Top 50 players all positions since 1967? Tebow? Wuerffel? I mean, the list of players who kicked ass in a system is long - if you're going there, where is Ty Detmer or three or four other BYU QBs? Fucking stupid. Leinhart was surrounded by a fucking monster team ... think Gino Torretta.

And say what you will about LB ... alfuckingright, so you need the token tuff white guy from Ohio to make all the blue collar honkies happy, so fuck it, Speilman is a fine pick. but I watched a lot of OU during the 80s (can you guess why?), and for my money I will take a Jonathan Vilma over a juiced Bozwerth any day of the week. Watch what Vilma did to Nebraska in the Rose Bowel ... dude was a beast and eventually would have a one-year time out for being too tuff in the NFL. Those hits on the H back and the TE are fucking EPIC. I'd also take Cortez or Jerome Brown over Randy fucking White every fucking time. Again, we need to assuage the oldie timey white guys. Manster. What a fucking ghey nickname.

I don't know if you fuckers are joking, but I agree - no Vick is a sin. The guy was fucking incredible in college. Tebow and fucking Leinhart and Wuerffel? Come the fuck on. Jesus, was krisvashon an advisor on this thing? Oh wait - the whole list would be huskies. Nevermind.
    There are a lot of mother fuckers on this list I'd shitcan before Randy White. Too much recency bias on this list as is. But agree with most of the rest. Criminal that more Canes didn't make it. And the Vick exclusion was just dumb. Fuckign Danny Wuerffel? Jesus.
    In addition to various anal fungul ailments, I also tend to suffer from mild recency bias. So admittedly, shit from the early 80s and onward tend to be ok with me, while shit before that I tend to NGAF about. This is why you don't ever find me talking about Ted Hendricks, Jim Otto, Jim Kelly, OJ Anderson, Chuck Foreman, Jim Burt, Ruben Carter, etc. Those guys and others played before I was old enough to care really.

But as long as we're really entertaining the old dudes, the Mad Stork is worth mentioning. Two-time consensus first team AA selections, a second team AA selection and a monster career in the NFL (even though that doesn't matter for this shit list) warrants consideration. He still holds various records for tackles and sacks among Miami D lineman, which includes a lot of good ones.

PS: I see what you did there [ghey wink wink from creepy]
    edited June 2017

Where's this guy on the list?

There aren't many QBs who can lead a much better team against a much less better team, dominate in yards on the ground, yards in the air. Play behind a defense that holds the other team FOR THE ENTIRE FUCKING GAME to 109 yds. on the ground and 53 yds. in the air, FOR THE ENTIRE FUCKING GAME, and still

FIND A WAY TO HAND THE OTHER TEAM THE WIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As much as I love Jimmy Johnson, I will never understand why, after Brian Blades got them inside the 10 yard line with plenty of time left, he put the game in the hands of the guy who had four picks and an overall terrible night and didn't give Highsmith one fucking carry. Unforgivable. They could not deal with Highsmith all night long, at 6.6 yds. per carry, and he doesn't see the ball once down inside the 10.

6.6 yds. per carry. 6.6. Not one carry for the game.

Fuck you for making me relive that you asshole.

The annoying thing about tebow was that everyone liked to act as if he was some underdog by the time he got to the NFL.

5 star recruit, 2 national championships, etc.

Like what?

He was an underdog in the NFL because he didn't have NFL tools. It's really that simple. His release was slow and weird, he had Jake Brownlee-type arm strength and wasn't super good at reading defenses. People thought Denver was stupid to draft him, even toward the bottom of the first round.
  • RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member Posts: 30,123

Tebow & Vick is abundance. Tebow hate is fun, but he was a great college QB. IDGAF about the NFL flameout. Sub Vick for Leinart.

Tebow was amazing at Florida. He absolutely belongs.

Tebow & Vick is abundance. Tebow hate is fun, but he was a great college QB. IDGAF about the NFL flameout. Sub Vick for Leinart.

Tebow was amazing at Florida. He absolutely belongs.
    Eh. Can't do it. Fuck Florida.
    Warren Sapp should be listed.

I was thinking Tim Brown, but his stats weren't all that great. It was a different era though.

Tripper Johnson probably deserved to be ranked somewhere in the 40's. He was a huge contributor on a team that had a perfect season.
  • doogiedoogie Member Posts: 15,072
    Gabe Marks?!?!?
  • dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614

I was thinking Tim Brown, but his stats weren't all that great. It was a different era though.

Tripper Johnson probably deserved to be ranked somewhere in the 40's. He was a huge contributor on a team that had a perfect season.

Free pub for @Tripper_Johnson
    doogie said:

Gabe Marks?!?!?

We? have a proud WR tradition?? at Wazzu. Don't player hate man.

He was a rather uniquely talented guy, with an exceedingly rare combination of not-juiced strength, size, quickness and athleticism, but I tend to avoid singing his praises too much because (1) he is, from all accounts and a few observations, a giant dick head, and (2) while he was dominant at Miami, he wasn't a good team guy and took plays off. I think if he'd been there during the JJ era, his role at Miami would have been different, and he probably gets a ring ... either that or none of us would have ever heard of him. As it was, he came along at a time when Dennis' full influence on the team was being felt ... there was little to no discipline left ... and Sapp was an immature asshole who ran just all over Erickson. He needed a much tuffer coach than uncle Denny.

Where's this guy on the list?

There aren't many QBs who can lead a much better team against a much less better team, dominate in yards on the ground, yards in the air. Play behind a defense that holds the other team FOR THE ENTIRE FUCKING GAME to 109 yds. on the ground and 53 yds. in the air, FOR THE ENTIRE FUCKING GAME, and still

FIND A WAY TO HAND THE OTHER TEAM THE WIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As much as I love Jimmy Johnson, I will never understand why, after Brian Blades got them inside the 10 yard line with plenty of time left, he put the game in the hands of the guy who had four picks and an overall terrible night and didn't give Highsmith one fucking carry. Unforgivable. They could not deal with Highsmith all night long, at 6.6 yds. per carry, and he doesn't see the ball once down inside the 10.

6.6 yds. per carry. 6.6. Not one carry for the game.

Fuck you for making me relive that you asshole.
    Ironic how at the time the game was considered a battle of "Good" vs "Evil"...
    If by "ironic" you mean to reference how stupid and raysiss 89.73% of the entire US population is and was, then, yeah, no shit.

If by "ironic" you mean that the "good guys" had a pedo D coordinator and their Ivy League educated saint of a head coach probably knew it, then, yeah, there's some irony there.
  • dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    dnc said:

uzi said:

No Corey Dillon on the list? shit poll

Agree. Guy belongs up there. But since he only played 1 season of Div 1 ball, many, except Pac 10 fans, probably forget about him.
    great player, but top 50? at that position? sorry, but there are just too many great RBs. We could be here all day with that position. Jerome Bettis, Edgerin James, Chuck Muncie, Emmit Smith, a shit load of dudes not named Early Campbell or Ricky Williams who played at Texas, Eric Dickerson, Billy Sims, Mike Rozier, etc. etc.

And, for one-hit wonders, is there really anyone - other than Bo or Herschel - who is in the same zip code as Marcus Dupree? If you don't know about that guy, you need to spend 20 minutes doing a little research, and you'll see what I mean.
    LOL so we're considering Tebow just a running back now?

STOp.

I get it you hate Florida and love Miami.

I hated him in college but Tebow was a fucking monster.
    No dumb dumb fuck fuck. Dillon.

Just sToP!!!!!!!!!!

My reading comprehension sucks.

He was talking about Dillon.

My apologies to CreepyCane.
  • El_KEl_K Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,167 Swaye's Wigwam
    Ronnie Lott higher than Kenny Easley? Easley should be top 5.
  • TTJTTJ Member Posts: 4,797
    Little DT tantrum here: Russell Maryland, Warren Sapp, and Dan Wilkinson are glaring omissions. All of those guys, as well as Emtman, should rank above Suh.
    edited June 2017
    ^ Wilkinson was a load. The most dominant D linemen I ever watched play in college were Emptermen, Jerome Brown, Tony Casillas and Kennedy. Guys legitimately strong enough to actually collapse entire SECTIONS of an O line and still agile enough to run down QBs and pursue edge to edge. The list is much longer if you're just talking about run stuffers.

I was pretending to be in law school from 92 to 95 and frankly wasn't paying as much attention during Sapp's career. Watched him play a few times, but saw much more of him in the NFL.

Have to say that Suh is up there too. Pretty dominant player.
    El_K said:

Ronnie Lott higher than Kenny Easley? Easley should be top 5.

Completely agree.
    TTJ said:

Little DT tantrum here: Russell Maryland, Warren Sapp, and Dan Wilkinson are glaring omissions. All of those guys, as well as Emtman, should rank above Suh.

Suh was dominant and the best defensive player I have seen in the 2000's.

TTJ said:

Suh was dominant and the best defensive player I have seen in the 2000's.
    For his position, yeah I'd probably agree.

I'd name a few in the LB and DB categories too.