Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Will he be Pool Boy or Scott Woodward?

This offseason is a critical offseason for Pool Boy. He has a chance to make the bold firing(it's only bold because Seattle is soft) this offseason of Sark something his buddy Mark Emmert refused to do with Ty after year three.

If Pool Boy fires Sark this offseason and makes a good coaching hire then speaking for myself I'll refer to him as Woodward.

However, if he retains Sark(most likely) he'll forever be known as Pool Boy to all of us.

Here is the problem for Pool Boy though. If he brings back Sark and he fails he basically cemented his legacy as an A.D. He will be fired shortly after as well.

If he fires Sark and hires a good coach he then buys himself a few extra years just like Sark did when he fired Holt.

Anyways this will be a key offseason for Pool Boy. He can finally prove us wrong. Then again betting against UW making the right decision has been the easiest bet the past decade. I'm guessing Sark will be brought back for "one last chance" then 2014 will be yet another year we are wasting away.

Comments

• I've heard the brass at doogman saying you bring him back in 2014 and say you need to win the north to keep your job. What the fuck??? Why even bring him back then? Nobody in their right mind thinks he'll jump Oregon, Stanford, OSU and possibly wazzu in one year when we already know who he is. Just fucking stupid.

"I say you bring Ty back and if he can't win 9 games he's out!" I mean we've gone over this. Once you have a lame duck coach the first sign of trouble the players will all quit, you are basically punting a recruiting class as it's going to be tough to have kids commit to you knowing you could be fired.

Like I said before Hedges was a bad A.D. but I would take her over Pool Boy until proven otherwise. She very easily could have stuck with Lambo but she went out and hired a Rose Bowl winning coach.

We'll see what Pool Boy does this offseason but I'm guessing it's going to be a "this is it for Sark. This is his last chance" type of deal which is fucking stupid.
  • HeretoBeatmyChestHeretoBeatmyChest Member Posts: 4,295
    Derek posted my editorial on this site in August. I basically wrote that if Sark didn't make a big leap forward this year, Woodward has to fire him to keep the program from falling back.
  • Derek posted my editorial on this site in August. I basically wrote that if Sark didn't make a big leap forward this year, Woodward has to fire him to keep the program from falling back.

This is a defining offseason for Pool Boy. You can't borrow the amount of money that he has and ignore the problems at UW football.

With our home schedule if you bring back Sark next year expect some empty seats in year two of this great new stadium.
  • TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Deathwatch14 will be totally different than Deathwatch08.

LRR
  • Deathwatch14 will be totally different than Deathwatch08.

LRR

The parallels to this year and 2007 far as the crowd reaction, them ultimately retaining a loser coach leading deathwatch all over again is uncanny.
  • HoustonHuskyHoustonHusky Member Posts: 5,967
    You guys are fucking optimistic doogs thinking Pool Boy will do anything, and I mean anything, to threaten Sark's job for the next couple of years. Sark has plainly shown he's not learning on the job...why would Pool Boy be any different?

This is the same dumbfuck that was working for Emmert and around Turner raising money for the school and athletic department when they decided to keep Ty. And my bet is that he was one of the ones saying you can't fire him because it might upset the donors.

Then he blows Emmert enough to be given the AD job, and his first action is to talk about experience and D and then go hire an unproven OC to be his (and yes, "HIS") coach. He owns Sark, and the only way he fires him is if Sark gets the TFS of the world to turn on him (i.e. a couple of 3 to 4 win seasons in a row) or if somebody in the University starts putting pressure on Pool Boy himself, which isn't going to happen with the money the football program takes in (who cares about attendance with the TV $$$...there are 40K doogs that will pay to watch Ty-ball...we have an air attack that puts up 50 points on Division 2 schools which will attract another 10K). And at that point they will fire Pool Boy and Sark in one swoop (i.e. within 6 months of each other...with Pool Boy going first, and the new AD bringing a new guy in).

Losing 3 in a row means we own Sark for years...nobody is going to hire him away from us and nobody at this limp wristed University is going to do anything about it. The only hope anyone of us had was that someone dumb enough would hire Sark away, or that Sark would be at least smart enough to learn on the job, and both have shown to be less likely than winning the lottery.

Accept 7-5 and own it...it isn't going to change for years. And hey, we may get lucky an odd year or two and win 8 like this, our projected "Rose Bowl" year...

• You guys are fucking optimistic doogs thinking Pool Boy will do anything, and I mean anything, to threaten Sark's job for the next couple of years. Sark has plainly shown he's not learning on the job...why would Pool Boy be any different?

This is the same dumbfuck that was working for Emmert and around Turner raising money for the school and athletic department when they decided to keep Ty. And my bet is that he was one of the ones saying you can't fire him because it might upset the donors.

Then he blows Emmert enough to be given the AD job, and his first action is to talk about experience and D and then go hire an unproven OC to be his (and yes, "HIS") coach. He owns Sark, and the only way he fires him is if Sark gets the TFS of the world to turn on him (i.e. a couple of 3 to 4 win seasons in a row) or if somebody in the University starts putting pressure on Pool Boy himself, which isn't going to happen with the money the football program takes in (who cares about attendance with the TV $$$...there are 40K doogs that will pay to watch Ty-ball...we have an air attack that puts up 50 points on Division 2 schools which will attract another 10K). And at that point they will fire Pool Boy and Sark in one swoop (i.e. within 6 months of each other...with Pool Boy going first, and the new AD bringing a new guy in).

Losing 3 in a row means we own Sark for years...nobody is going to hire him away from us and nobody at this limp wristed University is going to do anything about it. The only hope anyone of us had was that someone dumb enough would hire Sark away, or that Sark would be at least smart enough to learn on the job, and both have shown to be less likely than winning the lottery.

Accept 7-5 and own it...it isn't going to change for years. And hey, we may get lucky an odd year or two and win 8 like this, our projected "Rose Bowl" year...

Look I'm not a Pool Boy fan but according to Derek's book about Ty you could read that Pool Boy didn't endorse bringing Ty back for year four.

In fact he appeared pretty pissed off that he was brought back. He also said having him coach out the season was a huge mistake.

Again not a Pool Boy fan but I'm not going to pin bringing Ty back for year four on him.

I think if Pool Boy brings Sark back for 2014 he's putting himself in danger of losing his job. While if he fires Sark after this year he will buy himself some time with the new head coach like Sark bought himself an extra year by having a whole new defensive coaching staff.

Look I think at 7-5 Sark is coming back and is officially on the hot seat for 2014. Now if he's 6-6 which would include a season ending 3 game losing streak and a second straight loss to the Cougs I don't see how he survives that.
  • SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,378 Founders Club
    Could not disagree more that Woodward's job is in jeopardy. As much as I doubt it will happen, discussing Sark's firing is at least reasonable.

Woodward, while a total fuckwad, has several Olympic Sports performing quite well, and just got a stadium built (in the eyes of limp wristed boosters who just want to go to games to be seen). I think UC loves him, because he doesn't sabre rattle (politician), graduation rates are high, the AD is making money, girls (Title IX) volleyball KICKS ASS, etc.

Which brings us to HHB Iron Law #69: It does not matter if you fire your shitty Coach when the one doing the hiring is a clumsy fucking re-re who should be cleaning pools for a living.

HTH
  • SoutherndawgSoutherndawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,293 Founders Club

Derek posted my editorial on this site in August. I basically wrote that if Sark didn't make a big leap forward this year, Woodward has to fire him to keep the program from falling back.

I agree with you and get the sense that Sark is keenly aware of this. He's in over his head, knows it, and appears genuinely rattled. He's looked like this in the past, before and during big games that ended up being blow out losses. To state the obvious, he's not cut out for this job, and I believe Woody has seen all he needs to see to know it as well. He's holding the checkbook in reserve, the first real vote of no confidence.

That loss at ASU really felt like a nail in the coffin. Only way out for Sark now is to run the table and that ain't happening. The team looks dejected. Multiple losses are possible, some potentially ugly. At this point the discussion should be about Woody more so than about Sark. What is Woody doing now to position himself to make a run at coaching candidates with the ability to elevate the program? If he waits until the 11th hour, he's in big trouble, and I think he knows this. While he fucked up the hire, he did start the search early last time around. Even if he's holding onto a glimmer of hope that Sarktardo disappears for the rest of the season, he needs to be working this through back channels, at least laying the ground work. The job is a damn good one, he should have little trouble attracting strong candidates.

We'll see what happens, but I've contended all along that this is a make or break season for Sark, seven wins and he's gone. He's now on target for another disappointing season. That's not going to cut it.
    The level of doogness here is great.

It is easy to look back and say 'nawww...I didn't want him back, and I shouldn't have let him stay' after the fact and all the damage is done. Reality though says he was the one raising money when Ty4 came around, and the biggest reason everyone said we had to keep him for season 4 was because of state funding and donations. Does it make sense that the guy in charge of that would really be saying fire him when that was the quiet reason given by all to keep him? And the simple public fact is that Pool Boy had the chance to punt him after going 0-7, and instead POOL BOY himself decided to let him coach out the season. Does it make sense that they guy that wanted him out the year before decides to let him coach out the season? Simple facts.

Sark is not in trouble unless he only wins 1 more game. Sark can go 5-7 next year and be safe...they will find an excuse (new QB, injuries on the OL...take your pick). Furthermore, thinking this pool boy idiot that helped get us to this point can suddenly do a 180 and hire the right coach after 5+ years of shitty management decisions is just comical.

This is modern Husky football, and anyone denying this fact is just hoping beyond reality (i.e. dooging it up).

The level of doogness here is great.

It is easy to look back and say 'nawww...I didn't want him back, and I shouldn't have let him stay' after the fact and all the damage is done. Reality though says he was the one raising money when Ty4 came around, and the biggest reason everyone said we had to keep him for season 4 was because of state funding and donations. Does it make sense that the guy in charge of that would really be saying fire him when that was the quiet reason given by all to keep him? And the simple public fact is that Pool Boy had the chance to punt him after going 0-7, and instead POOL BOY himself decided to let him coach out the season. Does it make sense that they guy that wanted him out the year before decides to let him coach out the season? Simple facts.

Sark is not in trouble unless he only wins 1 more game. Sark can go 5-7 next year and be safe...they will find an excuse (new QB, injuries on the OL...take your pick). Furthermore, thinking this pool boy idiot that helped get us to this point can suddenly do a 180 and hire the right coach after 5+ years of shitty management decisions is just comical.

This is modern Husky football, and anyone denying this fact is just hoping beyond reality (i.e. dooging it up).

I can't argue with a single word of this post at all.

Lather, rinse, repeat.
  • I think at 6-6 Sark is fired. Otherwise Pool Boy is putting himself in a position where he'd be fired as well if Sark fails again next year.

If Pool Boy fires Sark now if he goes 6-6 he is buying himself more time.

I think Sark should be fired at 8-4 or worse but he won't. I do think 6-6 meaning we'd have lost to WSU at home will get Sark fired.
  • CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,132 Founders Club
    Everything depends on how upper campus views the football program:

- are players staying out of trouble?

- are players graduating?

- is the coach more important/powerful than the president?

- is the program bringing in enough money to fund the athletic department?

- are the big-time boosters happy?

If the answers are yes, yes, no, yes, yes, then upper campus is happy. If upper campus is happy Pool Boy. If Pool Boy is happy then Sark is still our fucking coach.
  • Everything depends on how upper campus views the football program:

- are players staying out of trouble?

- are players graduating?

- is the coach more important/powerful than the president?

- is the program bringing in enough money to fund the athletic department?

- are the big-time boosters happy?

If the answers are yes, yes, no, yes, yes, then upper campus is happy. If upper campus is happy Pool Boy. If Pool Boy is happy then Sark is still our fucking coach.

ASJ/Kasen were in trouble recently plus the guy we just booted.

I don't know about if players are graduating.

That is a no.

That will always be a yes, however the stadium isn't paying for itself. At 6-6 if Sark is brought back you'll have a huge drop off in tickets which they can't afford right now.

I"m sure guys like Bleenor are happy but I suspect many big-time boosters aren't happy.

So it's not a simple yes,yes,no,yes,yes answer.
  • HeretoBeatmyChestHeretoBeatmyChest Member Posts: 4,295
    It comes down to the fans and boosters. Pool boy is a politician. He will side with public opinion. The fans and boosters especially have to ratchet up the pressure. If they don't Pool Boy won't act.
  • It comes down to the fans and boosters. Pool boy is a politician. He will side with public opinion. The fans and boosters especially have to ratchet up the pressure. If they don't Pool Boy won't act.

Which at 6-6 with a home loss to WSU and a season ending 3 game losing streak I think the public will turn on him.

Even the biggest Doogs out there will have their pitchforks for Sark if he loses at home to WSU.

Now if he beats WSU to go 7-5 I think he survives and is on the "hot seat" next year even though he should have been fired.
  • CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,132 Founders Club
    Yes, ASJ and Kasen got in trouble but I'm looking at the program since Sark arrived. Most things have been relatively minor and Sark's booted anyone troublesome.

I think they're graduating at an acceptable rate but yeah, I don't know for sure.

I think the majority of big-time boosters like asshat Ron Crockett are happy.
    You all read the WSJ article last week, didn't you?
    We need a new name. Everyone here knows what a doog is...now we seem to have a new variant. Apparently there are some folk that have the crazy notion that our half-pint AD who's been incompetent for years and got us to this place is suddenly going to grow some nuts and double his IQ and fix all that is ill with Husky Football...fire Sark and hire Mora or something equivalent.

Poolgs? Poogs? Poolies? I'm not creative enough to come up with it. More power to them for their blind optimism...I guess I'm just too big of a cynic to have faith in any of these incompetent morons in charge.