Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Victor Curne, 2018 3* OL, Houston (Second Baptist), TX (COMMITTED)

Comments

• Options
    FKA_MousecopFKA_Mousecop Member Posts: 2,054
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    So I'm guessing by the end of August we could have...

1. Will Craig or MJ Ale

2. Chris Brown (Newton needed to make it up this month, but couldn't)

3. Zion Tupuola-Fetui

4. Sam Taimani

5. Caleb Tremblay

6. Probably 1 DB (just playin' the odds)

Might just leave a few spots open to recruit for during the season.
  • Options
    Tequilla said:

tvoie said:

Fuck it's nice not to have to worry for the next 6 months about who the hell UW will bring in for OL. This dude is a straight up monster too. I don't even understand the lack of offers for him.

Yeah I seriously don't understand how Texas Tech didn't even offer.
    Because nobody wants to spend 4-5 years living in Lubbock
    Iowa State and Kansas still offered
  • Options
    Dennis_DeYoungDennis_DeYoung Member Posts: 14,754
    I think we dropped Newton. I think it's only a matter of time on Brown.

I've heard we backed off Hampton, but I don't know why.

I think Gordon will pop before the season.
  • Options
    edited July 2017

Maybe more confidence in getting someone like Addison? Not really sure. If we're getting 3 DBs, I'm still uncertain outside of Irvin and Gordon.

I wonder if Hampton was offered as someone who had to commit soon after his offer for us to focus on.
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

Maybe more confidence in getting someone like Addison? Not really sure. If we're getting 3 DBs, I'm still uncertain outside of Irvin and Gordon.

I wonder if Hampton was offered as someone who had to commit soon after his offer for us to focus on.
    Odds with Addison are low. There's still a number of west coast DB's out there that we're still in on, but nobody who seems like they are likely to choose us outside of Gordon and hopefully Irvin.

I wouldn't be shocked if they end up taking one of the bazillion West Coast 4 star WR's as a DB, seemingly out of nowhere.
  • Options
    dnc said:

Odds with Addison are low. There's still a number of west coast DB's out there that we're still in on, but nobody who seems like they are likely to choose us outside of Gordon and hopefully Irvin.

I wouldn't be shocked if they end up taking one of the bazillion West Coast 4 star WR's as a DB, seemingly out of nowhere.
    I agree that odds aren't great with him, just coming up with some kind of potential explanation.

Chase Williams flip maybe? No clue if they've maintained any semblance of contact or if they even like him at DB.
  • Options
    BasemanBaseman Member Posts: 12,365
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Passion said:

Again, this is the kid that isn't very nice to players on other teams. Makes me a little uncomfortable. Not OKG'ish.

Plus he seems to take enjoyment from beating up 180-pound white DEs.

This.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    Passion said:

Again, this is the kid that isn't very nice to players on other teams. Makes me a little uncomfortable. Not OKG'ish.

Plus he seems to take enjoyment from beating up 180-pound white DEs.

And you just answered the question to why he's not being recruited at a higher level ...

In Texas, if you aren't playing 6A, or at worst 5A, you've got to be incredibly special for the top schools to pay attention to you. It's a numbers game down there. And if they can't judge you against elite competition there's a question mark next to your name.

What you're describing is what most elite OL in Washington do because the competition just isn't vast.

Doesn't change whether these kind of kids are high level prospects or not. But these are EXACTLY the kind of kids in Texas that tend to fall through the cracks.
  • Options
    NorwegianHuskyNorwegianHusky Member Posts: 3,422

If we've backed off Hampton it's because we have a shot with Gordon and Irvin because they both make him look like trash. If we could get both those guys it would be an insane DB class in a year where it's a low priority. Would make losing Tre'Shaun hurt a lot less. Jk I still want him at RB.
  • Options
    Curne says UW coaches have told him they'd like to keep him outside (at least initially). I think after he leans out, he could potentially slot in at RT fairly well, but OG will always be there for him.
  • Options
    FremontTrollFremontTroll Member Posts: 4,717
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Yep, something the LPT haven't figured out despite following this shit for 20+ years- there will always be a few more spots than anticipated.
  • Options
    Edwin_BambinoEdwin_Bambino Member Posts: 2,943
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    BallzDeep said:

Curne says UW coaches have told him they'd like to keep him outside (at least initially). I think after he leans out, he could potentially slot in at RT fairly well, but OG will always be there for him.

JESUS FUCKING CHRIST! Who the fuck are we going have play Guard then? Clinched Duke? We need BEEF that runs DEEP in the INTERIOR O-line.
    Whenever I see Duke Clinch or whatever the fuck his name is on the sideline he reminds me of a box.
  • Options
    BallzDeep said:

JESUS FUCKING CHRIST! Who the fuck are we going have play Guard then? Clinched Duke? We need BEEF that runs DEEP in the INTERIOR O-line.
    I'm sure Curne will battle at OT with Kirkland and Bainivalu and whoever else, but it's not like he won't end up inside. If he stays outside, then whoever loses the battle at OT will slide inside with Wattenberg et al.
  • Options
    priapismpriapism Member Posts: 2,036
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Awesomes
    Woof said:

Apologies in advance for the Tequilla-length post, but I was trying to do some shit math on who we might take next, and the biggest takeaway I saw was that we are likely to take more like 20 kids in this class than the 17/18 that I've been hearing about.

Looking at the roster, there are 15 scholarship seniors, plus Vea (gone), plus Gaskin (likely gone), plus Trey (likely gone), KJCS (likely grad transfer), plus a few more who could potentially go (Gaines, JoJo, McGary, Browning). I wouldn't be surprised if we actually took around 20 to account for graduation + draft + normal attrition of 2-3 players.

Assuming this is the case, I'd guess our class breaks down somewhat as follows:
    QB: All set
    RB: Need 1 - Chris Brown, come on down
    WR: Likely set - but if they can get Tre'Shaun, I say just offer him a scholly and then switch him to Safety later
    TE: Likely set - not sure if we're recruiting anyone else. Sidebar, if Paopao and Lubick are done with recruiting already and onto 2019, can they help out Malloe or Huff a bit? Hopefully Lubick is at least helping fix Smiff's offense.
    OL: Need at least 1 - probably from the trio of Craig, Jones, or Ale. Roof seems to think Jones is going to pop fairly soon.

DT: Need 2 - Tremblay and Taimani seem like the best options. I shudder at our fallback plan
    DE: n/a
    OLB/Buck Need 2 - Zion is one of the guys, but I think he grows into an inside guy ala String. At the very least he will be our big Buck, ala Benning. Brandon Kaho is here too and I really hope we can get him.
    ILB All set
    CB Need 1 - Kyler Gordon better be the guy
    S Need 1-2 - Julius Irvin and Bryan Addison would be the dream duo. We have no shot at Hufanga

Special teams I hope we don't take anyone

So starting with the 11 commits we have now, and adding up the needs, we're at 20. Depending on how the season goes and potential attrition, I can see them taking another OL and maybe telling Tre'Shaun he can play WR.

All we need is a strong DT class and we?re set.