Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

LeBron

Comments

• Options
    tenndawgtenndawg Member Posts: 1,161
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes

An interesting question is that if you could pick one player in their absolute prime to anchor a team, who would it be?

The peaceful Muslim Kareem Abdul Jabbar
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

He and Jordan are completely different players. I don't have any problem with someone saying LeBron is better, he has a historically unprecedented game and is playing in the era of superteams. If you had to pick one player in history to start a team with, it's a coin flip.

edit: An interesting question is that if you could pick one player in their absolute prime to anchor a team, who would it be? There is an argument to be made for Shaq or Hakeem in that convo too imo.

Jordan.

Not that chinteresting.
  • Options
    WilburHooksHandsWilburHooksHands Member Posts: 6,741
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes
    dnc said:

He and Jordan are completely different players. I don't have any problem with someone saying LeBron is better, he has a historically unprecedented game and is playing in the era of superteams. If you had to pick one player in history to start a team with, it's a coin flip.

edit: An interesting question is that if you could pick one player in their absolute prime to anchor a team, who would it be? There is an argument to be made for Shaq or Hakeem in that convo too imo.

Jordan.

Not that chinteresting.
    OK NORTH CAROLINA DAWG WE GET IT
  • Options

dnc said:

Jordan.

Not that chinteresting.
    OK NORTH CAROLINA DAWG WE GET IT
    The funny thing is I hate Jordan (#Soonic) and I hate the Tar Heels (#BlueDoovil).

MJ was just better than anybody else though.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,462
    Swaye's Wigwam

Kareem Abdul Jabbar or Bill Russell in the old days when centers roamed the earth

Lebron or MJ in the new era
  • Options

Kareem Abdul Jabbar or Bill Russell in the old days when centers roamed the earth

Lebron or MJ in the new era
    I agree with that top 4, though Magic is close.
  • Options
    NEsnake12NEsnake12 Member Posts: 3,791
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes

It's LeBron... mainly because he's the only one who's proven he can single handedly carry a team when everything else is shit. His entire first stint in Cleveland and the 2015 finals when Irving and Love were injured is the proof.
  • Options
    NEsnake12 said:

I'm so old I used to argue against Jordan and say that Magic or Kareem or the Doctor or the Russell Celts were better and Jordan hasn't done shit and he'll never have the rings. I even liked Earl Monroe way better. He was who I was in the driveway shooting hoops alone.

I came to accept Jordan as the GOAT, kind of, because I still think the old school guys were way tuffer like you guys think MJ was tuffer than Lebron.

We like the guys we grew up with the best. We rip anyone who comes after and threatens them. Then we accept what is and argue about another one.

But Lebron could have played thug ball if that is what was being played.

This. Everyone always points to "but LeBron wouldn't be as great against 80's defense!!!" while completely ignoring how much of a defensive monster he'd have been playing in that era.
    I agree with this. He'd have been helped as much or more than he was hurt by that era.
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,886
    I'd take Bird. He'd destroy people in the 3 point era.

Plus he is the whitest motherfucker ever to play the game. And that would piss off the BLM folks to no end.

• Options
    phineasphineas Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,724
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Basketball sucks dick
  • Options
    rustysavagerustysavage Member Posts: 942
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Even tho I cant be swayed from my LeBron stance... This is good stuff. Many good points being made by both sides.

Thank u all
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,462
    Swaye's Wigwam

Lebron still has the stain of JJ Barea guarding him in the Finals. But he's done some legendary things that are inching him closer to Jordan.

Game 6 at Boston, Lebron had the best performance I've ever seen. That Spurs series was incredible. And last year is the one that makes passing Jordan possible imho. Michael Jordan was the best player on the best team of all time but only because Lebron beat the 73 win Warriors.

I think all the talk about it needs to simmer until the Finals though. There's a real chance the Warriors sweep and it's going to be hard to make the pro Lebron argument if that happens.

Agree that Dallas is the festering sore on his record. He'd be 4 and 3.

Lose to the Warriors and he's 3 and 5.

Then Magic still has a case
  • Options

I'd take Bird. He'd destroy people in the 3 point era.

Plus he is the whitest motherfucker ever to play the game. And that would piss off the BLM folks to no end.

Bird played one NBA season without a 3 point line
  • Options
    tenndawgtenndawg Member Posts: 1,161
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes

I even liked Earl Monroe way better. He was who I was in the driveway shooting hoops alone.

I'm assuming you mean pre-knee injury Baltimore Bullets Earl Monroe...

And if you haven't already, read "Foul" The biography of Connie Hawkins...
  • Options
    GladstoneGladstone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 16,417
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club

I drank the Lebron haterade until he won it all last year. He doesn't have MJ's legacy yet, but it certainly is within striking distance now. If he would have lost last year to the Warriors then that dream of being as legendary as MJ would have been out the window. He put the team on his back though and proved to be the alpha.

As a player Lebron is leagues better than MJ ever was in terms of skill/size/athleticism, however, you could argue that a few others since MJ have been as well. It's hard to compare completely different era's as the game and players are always evolving. The NBA now is a pussified offensive stats padding league compared to the MJ era.

It's dumb to just compare MJs total rings to Lebrons at this point just as it is dumb to compare Lebron's modern day inflated NBA stats (he is going to shatter everything Jordan did). You have to look at it from a much broader view. At this point Lebron is #2 but I think he will end up #1 because of how he has evolved his game from an athletic freak to a well rounded floor general, he still has quite a few elite years left.

It's hard.

Came to post pretty much the same thing. After what he did in the finals last year how can anyone say otherwise? He is unquestionably in striking distance. Some people for whatever reason (being an AAU crybaby, running away to the Heat, etc) decided to hate him and wrote him off permanently. And LOLOLOL @ using the generation argument against him. LeBron in the 90s would beast the shit out of people.