Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Is Malloe the Next Strauser?

As in a 4 star coach and a 3 star recruiter?
When hired he was supposed to be our Poly
connection. Going 0-4 with Tufele,
Tuipolutu, Tuli and Togiai would be pretty
telling. I'm not ready to sell his couch
but he has to start closing some of these
battles even if they are with USC.

Comments

• Options
    bananasnblondesbananasnblondes Member Posts: 14,900
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    He's been here 1 fucking year. There is no way to tell if hes a good coach or a good recruiter yet.

If we have another recruiting class where we are adding project guys in January then we have a trend and there is concern.

He probably wasn't expecting that his big fish recruit and family were lying to his face for 3 months but it is part of the recruiting thing so hopefully, lesson learned. The other 3 guys you listed have/had all been considered pretty heavy leans to other schools so let's LIPO and see what we end up with this year.
  • Options
    FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes
    Winners win, he better start winning.
  • Options
    Intersectional_DawgIntersectional_Dawg Member Posts: 524
    First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Name Dropper
    We're doomed! You don't need three years to see that he's pretty shitty as a recruiter, and what exactly has he done as a coach?
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Is Locker the next Stanback?
  • Options
    FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes

We're doomed! You don't need three years to see that he's pretty shitty as a recruiter, and what exactly has he done as a coach?

Our DL play was pretty fucking good last year. So, I don't think he is a bad coach, but as a recruiter the verdict will be made after this signing period.
  • Options

Our DL play was pretty fucking good last year. So, I don't think he is a bad coach, but as a recruiter the verdict will be made after this signing period.
    He didn't hurt them, sure, but Vita and Gaines are naturally pretty dang talented. Also, we just had a signing period, what more do you need to see?
  • Options
    Mallow had ONE job for fucks sake and fucked it up.
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614

He didn't hurt them, sure, but Vita and Gaines are naturally pretty dang talented. Also, we just had a signing period, what more do you need to see?
    Listen, this while Marlon situation was fucking bizarre. I don't anticipate that happening again. If he don't sign someone good this year he gots to go.
    I agree. Losing Marlon was a failure but it gets a major asterisk so it's like an F+.

Fail again and no more LIPO from me.
  • Options
    whuggywhuggy Member Posts: 2,088
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    I'll say again I'm not calling to shitcan
    him. But it did seem a strange hire at the
    time. A former safety coaching the D-line?
    I realize coaches coaching different groups
    from where they played is not terribly unusual
    but seems a stretch from D-back to D-line.
    Then I figured ok the fact he's Poly outweighs
    the disconnect of where he played/coaches.
    Losing Tui and then not even getting a visit
    from Tufele was poor. He has to close either
    Tuli or Togiai to be adding any value. Otherwise
    as mentioned earlier Kwitkowski offers the same
    coaching input.
  • Options

Who gives a shit if he's a good coach if he whiffs in recruiting 2 years in a row. Half his job is coaching...the other half is recruiting. 50% is a failing grade.

There's a curve.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs

He's been here 1 fucking year. There is no way to tell if hes a good coach or a good recruiter yet.

If we have another recruiting class where we are adding project guys in January then we have a trend and there is concern.

He probably wasn't expecting that his big fish recruit and family were lying to his face for 3 months but it is part of the recruiting thing so hopefully, lesson learned. The other 3 guys you listed have/had all been considered pretty heavy leans to other schools so let's LIPO and see what we end up with this year.

We have a lot of people that were convinced Pete wasn't capable with far less of a convincing story against ...

The whole LIPO thing I get because you have to get enough evidence and data points ... but there is disturbing evidence in the sense that Malloe's really not delivering anything of note isn't helping his cause ... it's why this year's DL recruiting class is so critical for Malloe

There were also people defending Strausser's recruiting based on on field performance ... his coaching resume is far ahead of what Malloe is at (particularly considering that separating Malloe and Kwiatkowski from an influence perspective is in play) ...

• Options

This will be a critical year. Last year was awful and missing on Togiai this year would be bunch a nails in the coffin.

Malloe needs to get on the stick. Getting underrated kids like Gaye is easy. Landing big fish is going to be the standard for this program going forward.

You can argue that there will always be a mix of the two ... but relying on underrated kids isn't the standard for the program ...

Anybody that doesn't believe that should look at Strausser, Chris
  • Options

Who gives a shit if he's a good coach if he whiffs in recruiting 2 years in a row. Half his job is coaching...the other half is recruiting. 50% is a failing grade.

For Malloe it is probably more like 75% recruiting and 25% coaching because of Kwiatkowski's presence, influence, and our defensive structure
  • Options
    NeGgaPlEaSeNeGgaPlEaSe Member Posts: 5,729
    edited April 2017
    Tequilla said:

For Malloe it is probably more like 75% recruiting and 25% coaching because of Kwiatkowski's presence, influence, and our defensive structure
    That's 100% failure of 75% of his overall grade. If he comes up blank on the two highly rated Poly D linemen, UW is fucked. So while we LIPO, Malloe is digging a hole coach K can't climb out of. The Depth chart looks like shit after Veta sells couch.