Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Hardcore Husky and TSIO Podcast Exclusive: UW Athletics FInancial Forecast for 2017

13»

Comments

• TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    TTJ said:

Suggestion for future podcast discussion topic: The short- and long-term effects of turmoil at ESPN on stadium and payroll solvency at UW.

#StadiumDefault

Just saved you two hours.
  • TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,825
    TTJ said:

Suggestion for future podcast discussion topic: The short- and long-term effects of turmoil at ESPN on stadium and payroll solvency at UW.

It will be interesting to see where rights packages go going forward ... they've obviously had explosive growth over the last 5-10 years. On one hand, you could argue that with pressure on subscription numbers and a changing landscape of how the public consumes media content, there would be a reduction in future rights packages. On the other hand, more and more content providers will be fighting over what content that they are providing and it's possible that you could see alternative partners enter the market.

Big picture though, rights packages are at best 1/4 to 1/3 of our total athletic department revenue picture. Even if the rights packages go down, it's not going to go down substantially. What's more realistic to me is that they probably remain relatively flat and/or they start shifting more and more content to the P12 network which could get a bump IF they have subscription services available a la carte. The balance of our revenue will continue to come from tickets and donations ... which is really where the focus needs to be anyway.

The other side of things is that the explosion of rights packages has also coincided with the explosion of coaching salaries. My guess is that the growth here starts to slow a bit in general around the country.
  • LoneStarDawgLoneStarDawg Member Posts: 13,284
    its not a coincidence that we get a sloppy tits AD right when the pay-per-view era is starting...
  • Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,851
    This is the doogliest of doog threads.

Browning. Acl. 7-5. Script.

• haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 21,506 Swaye's Wigwam

With a loss to graham on the road.
  • TTJTTJ Member Posts: 4,797
    Tequilla said:

TTJ said:

It will be interesting to see where rights packages go going forward ... they've obviously had explosive growth over the last 5-10 years. On one hand, you could argue that with pressure on subscription numbers and a changing landscape of how the public consumes media content, there would be a reduction in future rights packages. On the other hand, more and more content providers will be fighting over what content that they are providing and it's possible that you could see alternative partners enter the market.

Big picture though, rights packages are at best 1/4 to 1/3 of our total athletic department revenue picture. Even if the rights packages go down, it's not going to go down substantially. What's more realistic to me is that they probably remain relatively flat and/or they start shifting more and more content to the P12 network which could get a bump IF they have subscription services available a la carte. The balance of our revenue will continue to come from tickets and donations ... which is really where the focus needs to be anyway.

The other side of things is that the explosion of rights packages has also coincided with the explosion of coaching salaries. My guess is that the growth here starts to slow a bit in general around the country.
    So you're saying either way it will be interesting?
  • Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,851
    haie said:

On the road?

The fuck?

What did I just plan an entire trip to seattle for
  • RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member Posts: 30,123
    TTJ said:

Extreme TBSing, like taking a look at the 2020 class, is more entertaining than budget bullshit. Are you an accountant?
  • TTJTTJ Member Posts: 4,797
  • CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 29,888 Founders Club

haie said:

On the road?

The fuck?

What did I just plan an entire trip to seattle for
    A lemon party with Pumpy and one other bored member to be named later.
  • CokeGreaterThanPepsiCokeGreaterThanPepsi Member Posts: 7,646
    CHRISTIAN CAPLE DIDNT CITE ME! Over a month late bitch!

• dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614

CHRISTIAN CAPLE DIDNT CITE ME! Over a month late bitch!

Not so Christian after all
  • GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,485 Standard Supporter
    Factors in this rise are $2.8 million in additional Gaye revenue from football, and $150,000 from Women's Basketball.

No one happier with this development than Dennis.
  • WoofWoof Member Posts: 769
    Quick update:

So given we started with a base of 40,324 last year and the number quoted is a net gain, looks like this puts us around 45,700 season tickets on 8/1. There are usually some additional sales throughout the month, so we'll probably come in at the high end of Coker's prediction.
  • LoneStarDawgLoneStarDawg Member Posts: 13,284
    How many student tickets are there, i.e. 45700 sold out of how many possible?
  • CokeGreaterThanPepsiCokeGreaterThanPepsi Member Posts: 7,646
    edited August 2017
    Woof said:

Quick update:

So given we started with a base of 40,324 last year and the number quoted is a net gain, looks like this puts us around 45,700 season tickets on 8/1. There are usually some additional sales throughout the month, so we'll probably come in at the high end of Coker's prediction.
    The 96% retention rate factors in here too, 96% of last years season ticket totals is 38,711 returning, then add the new season tickets (5,376) and UW is at 44,087 season tickets.

Students are 8,000. Plus faculty, staff, etc. there are probably about 53,000 tickets accounted for so far.

Mini plans went on sale a few weeks back too. Not sure how those are doing.
  • UWhuskytskeetUWhuskytskeet Member Posts: 7,110

Woof said:

Quick update:

The 96% retention rate factors in here too, 96% of last years season ticket totals is 38,711 returning, then add the new season tickets (5,376) and UW is at 44,087 season tickets.

Students are 8,000. Plus faculty, staff, etc. there are probably about 53,000 tickets accounted for so far.

Mini plans went on sale a few weeks back too. Not sure how those are doing.
    I looked at single game tickets and there are significantly less seats available than there were last year, especially for the shit OOC games. Though part of that could be due to the ticket office holding back availability until they give up on season ticket sales.

We averaged 64,589 a game last year. With a better home schedule I'd be surprised if that was less than 67,000 this year.
  • TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Woof said:

Quick update:

Our fans love shitty opponents.