Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Richard "Fig" Newton, 3* 2018 RB, Palmdale, CA (COMMITTED)

Comments

• Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

Re: Newton vs. Brown, someone dug up their stats for the season thus far. Brown is averaging just above 4 yards a carry (with no TDs) and Newton is at 7.5.

So there's a mantra from the mods of this site that high school stats mean very little. However, any rational person can look at Brown's stats and have questions about why scout has him as the top RB in the west. High D-1 RB prospects dominate in high school in almost all cases. Newton is doing a little better but he's only getting single digit carries in each game, which raises questions as well.

The answer: beat the shit out of Oregon, then full court press on Tre'Shawn

Are you fucking stupid? HS stats mean absolutely fucking nothing. Any rational person who has any fucking clue knows not to look at HS ypc. For fuck's sake.

You would've fucking loved Matthias Wilson!!!

Tyler Ebell!!

Fuck off with this shit.

Also, get Tre'Shaun.
    I get the Mathias Wilson point, and it's valid. However, I would wager that most RB's that end up being good in college, dominate at the high school level.
  • Options
    FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes

Re: Newton vs. Brown, someone dug up their stats for the season thus far. Brown is averaging just above 4 yards a carry (with no TDs) and Newton is at 7.5.

So there's a mantra from the mods of this site that high school stats mean very little. However, any rational person can look at Brown's stats and have questions about why scout has him as the top RB in the west. High D-1 RB prospects dominate in high school in almost all cases. Newton is doing a little better but he's only getting single digit carries in each game, which raises questions as well.

The answer: beat the shit out of Oregon, then full court press on Tre'Shawn

Are you fucking stupid? HS stats mean absolutely fucking nothing. Any rational person who has any fucking clue knows not to look at HS ypc. For fuck's sake.

You would've fucking loved Matthias Wilson!!!

Tyler Ebell!!

Fuck off with this shit.

Also, get Tre'Shaun.
    I get the Mathias Wilson point, and it's valid. However, I would wager that most RB's that end up being good in college, dominate at the high school level.
    All college football players fucking dominated high school caz they are more genetically gifted.
  • Options
    CokeGreaterThanPepsiCokeGreaterThanPepsi Member Posts: 7,646
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    edited September 2017

Lots of twisting going on here. I never suggested that spectacular high school stats should warrant an offer, or are anywhere near the only/first thing you look at. However, to say they are completely meaningless is fucking stupid. As @RoadDawg55 pointed out, top flight college running backs usually absolutely dominate in their high school games. Unless his team is losing all their games by 50 (which they arent), or throwing 70 times a game (which they aren't), a kid ranked as the top RB in the west (and someone UW offered) should be putting up more than 4 yards a carry in his high school games.

Agree, but he wasn't that good anyways before we knew his stats, he's just meh.
  • Options
    bananasnblondesbananasnblondes Member Posts: 14,896
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter

Lots of twisting going on here. I never suggested that spectacular high school stats should warrant an offer, or are anywhere near the only/first thing you look at. However, to say they are completely meaningless is fucking stupid. As @RoadDawg55 pointed out, top flight college running backs usually absolutely dominate in their high school games. Unless his team is losing all their games by 50 (which they arent), or throwing 70 times a game (which they aren't), a kid ranked as the top RB in the west (and someone UW offered) should be putting up more than 4 yards a carry in his high school games.

I agree with this. Which was my original point.
  • Options
    CokeGreaterThanPepsiCokeGreaterThanPepsi Member Posts: 7,646
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker

I agree with this. Which was my original point.
    I agree with you.
  • Options
    Dennis_DeYoungDennis_DeYoung Member Posts: 14,754
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    I think Chris Brown is "ok". I don't LOVE him, but using his HS stats means nothing.

I like Harrison better, but I do think Brown would be good in our offense.

Newton looks like a slapdick.
  • Options
    Personally like doof
  • Options
    AIRWOLFAIRWOLF Member Posts: 1,840
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    RealRhino said:

Can I go full Doog here for a second? (Actually, a quick admission: I could never really figure out the extent of what being a doog means. Trusting the coaches? LIPO? Being okay with failure? Anyway...)

I trust Petersen to evaluate players. I mean, yeah, maybe we've taken some filler and settled for mediocre players to some extent, but overall I think he's probably the best in the business.

Here are some numbers I came up with looking at his Boise success. First class included two 1st rounders, a 2nd, and a 3rd. Amazing. Started 2007, left 2013. So give him a couple of years to coach his guys and that of his immediate predecessor. From 2010-2014, Petersen had six guys drafted in the 1st or 2nd round. Same time period, UCLA also had six guys so drafted. Difference? In all of Petersen's Boise recruiting classes, ONE non-JC four-star recruit (two 4-star JCs). Same time period, UCLA had 44, including SIX (!) 5-star recruits. Same number of high draft picks.

USC in that same timeframe? 7 guys in first two rounds. With probably even more being 4-star or higher recruits.

Pete knows what he's doing.

Petersen is elite as an evaluator and developer of talent. That is a given, at this point. Where the superiority in evaluation ends and development begins is pretty difficult to tease out. Fortunately we don't have to.

However, it appears to me that the current staff is better at this on the defensive side of the ball than on the offensive side.

So I definitely "trust the coaches" to identify the right players and to coach the players they get pretty damn well once they are in the program, but the getting the guys they really want part is still a bit of a struggle. And I have a lot more trust on the defensive side than on the offense.
  • Options
    jhfstyle24jhfstyle24 Member Posts: 3,255
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    BallzDeep said:

BallzDeep said:

This from Prehm:

"Washington isn't letting up

Keep tabs on Oregon commit and four-star athlete Tre'Shaun Harrison out of Garfield high school in Seattle. Word is that Chris Petersen wasn't pleased to see one of the top Washington prospects leave the state and head south to Eugene, and Harrison has recently seen Washington put on the pressure. This was expected though. We're told Harrison remains firm with Oregon and likes what he's seen from the Ducks, but the peer pressure to stay 'home' and play for the home team is getting stronger by the week."

In the comments section a subscriber asked this:

"Matt - scale of 1 to 10 how do you assess the UW threat to flip Harrison?"

Prehm responded:

"I would say medium, so like 3-5."

Prior to this he was saying there was no chance Harrison flips to UW. Now he is preparing his subscribers for a potential flip so that if it happens he can say "Not a surprise. Knew about this being a possibility weeks ago."

Very good sign.

Bingo. However, after we score a collective 4 points against the Pac-10 this year, Harrison will flip back.
    We're just getting warmed up. I like our chances of going 13-0. Then recruits will be begging UW to take their commitment.
    Holy doog. You really think UW is beating U$C after that performance against Buttgers and Montana?
  • Options
    BallzDeep said:

BallzDeep said:

BallzDeep said:

This from Prehm:

Keep tabs on Oregon commit and four-star athlete Tre'Shaun Harrison out of Garfield high school in Seattle. Word is that Chris Petersen wasn't pleased to see one of the top Washington prospects leave the state and head south to Eugene, and Harrison has recently seen Washington put on the pressure. This was expected though. We're told Harrison remains firm with Oregon and likes what he's seen from the Ducks, but the peer pressure to stay 'home' and play for the home team is getting stronger by the week."

Prehm responded:

Prior to this he was saying there was no chance Harrison flips to UW. Now he is preparing his subscribers for a potential flip so that if it happens he can say "Not a surprise. Knew about this being a possibility weeks ago."

Very good sign.

Bingo. However, after we score a collective 4 points against the Pac-10 this year, Harrison will flip back.
    We're just getting warmed up. I like our chances of going 13-0. Then recruits will be begging UW to take their commitment.
    Holy doog. You really think UW is beating U$C after that performance against Buttgers and Montana?
    No doubt. By the end of the regular season our defense will be absolutely suffocating and the offense will be firing on all cylinders. Darnold is good but he can't throw from his back.

What is there to be negative about? We kicked Rutger's ass in the second half to win after coming out flat and absolutely butt fucked Montana with no Vaseline.

SC almost lost their asses to Western Michigan but because they beat Stanford they're unbeatable again? Nah, Stanford's defense sucks. Their best D-lineman is Harrison Phillips who won't even sniff the NFL. Stanford beat the shit out of Rice who would probably get their asses kicked by Last Chance-U.

A lot of overreactions early in the season as usual.
    This is not the ballzdeep I know
  • Options
    rustysavagerustysavage Member Posts: 942
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment

BallzDeep said:

BallzDeep said:

This from Prehm:

Prehm responded:

Very good sign.

That bastardizing of doog rages on.....
  • Options
    bananasnblondesbananasnblondes Member Posts: 14,896
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter

BallzDeep said:

BallzDeep said:

This from Prehm:

Prehm responded:

Very good sign.

Haha....Buttgers