Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Mike Hopkins, Syracuse, new head hoops coach

Comments

• Options
    BabsGilbyTawdTyBabsGilbyTawdTy Member Posts: 1,058
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Name Dropper
    Tequilla said:

dnc said:

Need to do a little more research. Gut call is I like it. Syracuse has had a ton of success over a long period of time while he's there. This isn't Sind career assistant who's never had a shot at a head gig, he's turned down good opportunities.

I don't love it but I like it much better than any of the realistic names that have been floated outside Musselman (Marshall and Archie were never coming here).

Solid B hire. I'll LIPO.

Given the timing required to get this done it's a Plan B hire after Jen realized she wasn't going to get her primary targets ...
    Like football after Mora played Woody and Jenny to get a nice raise at UCLA?
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

Daejon Davis is now following Hopkins on instagram. We may still have him.

I think we keep both Garfield kids. They can be Hopkins' Roy and Conroy.

Imperfect analogy I know since Conroy had a year under Bender. But still.
  • Options
    KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,750
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    I dunno How Syracuse ever fielded a basketball team again after losing the likes of a MBA. Cats probably tearing up the Manchester Leagues.
  • Options
    KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,750
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment

salemcoog said:

I dunno How Syracuse ever fielded a basketball team again after losing the likes of a MBA. Cats probably tearing up the Manchester Leagues.
    MBA averaged 15 and 8 his senior year, he would have played rode the pine for them.
  • Options
    AlCzervikAlCzervik Member Posts: 1,774
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Answer
    salemcoog said:

salemcoog said:

MBA averaged 15 and 8 his senior year, he would have played rode the pine for them.
    I noticed Derek Low chose to play in Lithuania this season rather than return to the Romanian league. What gives?
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,414
    Swaye's Wigwam
    KrishVashon is an ORANGE fan?
  • Options

KrishVashon is a LIFE LONG SYRACUSE ORANGE FAN?

• Options
    GladstoneGladstone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 16,417
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    dnc said:

Gladstone said:

HC Mike Hopkins (former Syracuse assistant)
    Assistants Jason Hart (USC) Tim Otoole (Cal) Will Conroy (on staff)

Is this confirmed?

If so I like that he got three west coast guys on his staff. This should help with the "he's not one of us" pushback. If he brought in a bunch of east coast assistants this could be tough. Conroy obviously makes total sense, and Hart is a brilliant choice, west coast kid who went to Syracuse. I don't know much about Otoole but Monty is brilliant. Good stuff.
    confirmed now
  • Options
    Shenexon said:

Gladstone said:

dnc said:

Gladstone said:

HC Mike Hopkins (former Syracuse assistant)
    Assistants Jason Hart (USC) Tim Otoole (Cal) Will Conroy (on staff)

Is this confirmed?

If so I like that he got three west coast guys on his staff. This should help with the "he's not one of us" pushback. If he brought in a bunch of east coast assistants this could be tough. Conroy obviously makes total sense, and Hart is a brilliant choice, west coast kid who went to Syracuse. I don't know much about Otoole but Monty is brilliant. Good stuff.
    confirmed now
    I wanted to mention as well that Hopkins dad is a UW alum. Makes no real difference but does provide a little perspective on a connection that Hopkins feels with the university and community.
    That doesn't make him any better or worse of a coach, but it's pretty cool. May make it more likely he stays if he's successful.
  • Options
    pat_hmpat_hm Member Posts: 941
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment

Nice Dawgman style late to the game thread
    What a horrible hire. How is he different that Conroy or B Roy? I love paying assistants to fucking learn on the job, as if we didn't learn once. He's a failure, UW hoops resets on 5 years, 5 more years of futility, he's a succes... he bolts for greener pastures (Hi Sark)

How is he different than Conroy or Broy? You can't be that fucking stupid or can you? You would rather have a former player, who could barely make it into UW, who has coached ONE FUCKIN YEAR OF HIGH SCHOOL BASKETBALL over the head coach in waiting of a legit college basketball power, that has won a natty, who has been to the final four two of the last four years, coached USA basketball with Coach K and was a highly successful recruiter in the most competitive basketball recruiting area in the country? What are you 16 years old? Jesus.
  • Options
    pat_hmpat_hm Member Posts: 941
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Further, if you were in the camp that "we need hire someone with Romar ties so we can recruit Seattle" you're a moron and should go back to dawgman. We needed a completely fresh start and Hopkins is a great fit. He will recruit Seattle just fine. Go look at where Hakim Warrick, McNamara, Jonny Flynn, Scoop Jardine, Dion Waiters, Michael Carter-Williams and Rakeem Christmas are from. Some pretty rough areas on the east coast with MUCH more recruiting competition from legit programs. All Romar would have to beat out is Zona and UCLA and the players were his and he still FAILED.

This is a home run hire and the skeptics will soon realize we got a legit head coach who will take us back to the top of the Pac12. With that said we're a football school so I don't really care all that much but it's nice to actually have a competent HC leading the other revenue sport. Go dawgs.
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    pat_hm said:

Further, if you were in the camp that "we need hire someone with Romar ties so we can recruit Seattle" you're a moron and should go back to dawgman. We needed a completely fresh start and Hopkins is a great fit. He will recruit Seattle just fine. Go look at where Hakim Warrick, McNamara, Jonny Flynn, Scoop Jardine, Dion Waiters, Michael Carter-Williams and Rakeem Christmas are from. Some pretty rough areas on the east coast with MUCH more recruiting competition from legit programs. All Romar would have to beat out is Zona and UCLA and the players were his and he still FAILED.

This is a home run hire and the skeptics will soon realize we got a legit head coach who will take us back to the top of the Pac12.
    With that said we're a football school so I don't really care all that much but it's nice to actually have a competent HC leading the other revenue sport. Go dawgs.

Chinned for the first paragraph. The bolded line is doog city.

Both you and Nega need to LIFPO.
  • Options
    rodmansragerodmansrage Member Posts: 6,022
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes
    nsiap:

also, im going to lipo until hopkins nearly kills players during an offseason workout, alienates the local media, or has a handful of coaches get DUIs.