Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Mike Hopkins, Syracuse, new head hoops coach

Comments

• CuntWaffleCuntWaffle Member Posts: 22,493
    Beat Zona. Nothing else matters.
  • DubSixGamerDubSixGamer Member Posts: 164

So are we gonna run that Syracuse zone defense now? Please god no.

Arizona seem to have problems when other teams play zone
    Arizona seem to have a good coach
  • backthepackbackthepack Member Posts: 19,839
    I don't even get all the hoopla about MPJ not coming here anymore. KD's team at texas didn't get past the second round... and that Texas team was more talented and had a better coach than Romar's UW.. Michael Porter is basically Kevin Durant but i don't know if he as quite as good.
  • backthepackbackthepack Member Posts: 19,839
    dnc said:

I don't even get all the hoopla about MPJ not coming here anymore. KD's team at texas didn't get past the second round... and that Texas team was more talented and had a better coach than Romar's UW.. Michael Porter is basically Kevin Durant but i don't know if he as quite as good.

Durant had a shit coach. IF Jen nailed this hire there's no reason MPJ couldn't take Washington further than that next year. And who wouldn't want to say Kevin Durant went to your school?

I completely get people being bummed we're going to lose out on him. But if the options are shit coach + a year of Porter or good coach and no Porter, any halfbrain can see you take the good coach everytime.
    That's the arugument i made.
  • PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 43,520 Standard Supporter
    Shenexon said:

Syracuse fan here. We were stunned that Hopkins chose to leave, with a lot of speculation that the reason is that Boeheim wants to Coach longer than next year.

Hopkins is a good man, recruiter, and I expect will be an outstanding HC. Expect him to play a variety of defenses and not primarily zone. He's an offensive minded guy who will want to play uptempo when he has players that shoot well and he's a great recruiter. Was a long term understudy to a HOF coach Boeheim and worked with the Olympic teams with Duke' s coach K as well.

Smart high character guy who will contribute to your community and university in a very positive way. High energy and a player's coach. Was expected to be the heir to Boeheim' s tenure at SU until today which saddens and concerns many of us. You got a fine coach that all of us like. Your program just gained an army of fans, though we wear Orange first and foremost.

There has been concern that he's always been the head assistant coach and not a head coach, but many of us expect him to thrive and hope for great success for him.

He's been a lead recruiter for us and worked closely with the players in many capacities for a long time. He could have been a head coach a long time ago but chose to stay here out of friendships and loyalties with and to the SU community and Boeheim.

He's already missed but we expect the move to Washington is good for his family and career. He's originally from the west coast and has looked for opportunities to get closer to his family. Congratulations to Coach Hopkins and the University of Washington. It'll be good for all of you...

Is his wife hot? I'm all about the Andy Enfield effect.

• BrickSquadBrickSquad Member Posts: 1,658
    Sucks that Porter Jr isn't sticking around but at least it's not local talent leaving.
  • dhdawgdhdawg Member Posts: 13,326
    I know this is doog bullshit. but high praise
  • RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member Posts: 30,123
    dnc said:

dhdawg said:

K should have spend more time on the South Carolina's Cocks and less time giving ours a reacharound
    My bracket is somewhat fucked now. but I knew Duke was a stupid pick for the favorite to win the whole thing. I didn't have them losing until next round.

They were inconsistent all season and squeaked out wins over Louisville and UNC in the ACC Tournament.
  • dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614

dnc said:

dhdawg said:

K should have spend more time on the South Carolina's Cocks and less time giving ours a reacharound
    My bracket is somewhat fucked now. but I knew Duke was a stupid pick for the favorite to win the whole thing. I didn't have them losing until next round.

They were inconsistent all season and squeaked out wins over Louisville and UNC in the ACC Tournament.
    I had them in the F4 cause I correctly predicted Wisky would beat Nova. Still have my champ game of UA and UNC alive but I lost Sparty and Duke from my F4 today so my bracket is fucked.
  • dhdawgdhdawg Member Posts: 13,326
    edited March 2017
    Duke was my first F4 to go. almost picked SMU to beat them but smu choked as well.

Arizona, Kentucky, Oregon still in. Kansas surprisingly looks like they best team. I think purdue can beat them though.

Arizona was my champion... we'll see.
  • GladstoneGladstone Member Posts: 16,419
    edited March 2017
    He'll look great in Cardinal and Gold

http://www.syracuse.com/orangebasketball/index.ssf/2013/09/syracuse_basketball_assistant_1.html

Hopkins' voice trails off. A tear here. A sniffle there. He doesn't, or can't, finish the sentence.

Hopkins understands why USC went with Enfield.

"I've never been a head coach where Andy had one of the great runs in the history of the NCAA Tournament,'' Hopkins said. "You hire him and everyone gets it. With me, you'd have to explain why you hired me.

"But God has a plan and things will work out,'' he continued. "The best thing happened for me. I'm still at Syracuse. I've got the greatest job in the world. I work for one of the greatest coaches in any sport in college athletics.''

Hopkins said his interest in the USC job is not an indication that he's itching to move on. He's willing to wait and he's not worried about how long that wait might be.

• GladstoneGladstone Member Posts: 16,419
  • NeGgaPlEaSeNeGgaPlEaSe Member Posts: 5,729
    Gladstone said:

He'll look great in Cardinal and Gold

http://www.syracuse.com/orangebasketball/index.ssf/2013/09/syracuse_basketball_assistant_1.html

Hopkins' voice trails off. A tear here. A sniffle there. He doesn't, or can't, finish the sentence.

Hopkins understands why USC went with Enfield.

"I've never been a head coach where Andy had one of the great runs in the history of the NCAA Tournament,'' Hopkins said. "You hire him and everyone gets it. With me, you'd have to explain why you hired me.

"But God has a plan and things will work out,'' he continued. "The best thing happened for me. I'm still at Syracuse. I've got the greatest job in the world. I work for one of the greatest coaches in any sport in college athletics.''

Hopkins said his interest in the USC job is not an indication that he's itching to move on. He's willing to wait and he's not worried about how long that wait might be.

He really didn't want the USC or Oregon State job I hear