Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Mike Hopkins?

13»

Comments

• Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs

Tequilla said:

There are things to be optimistic about but it's a little disheartening to hire an assistant. I can't recall any former assistant getting a P-5 job and becoming great.

That said I kind of figured UW would hire a younger, up and coming coach. Maybe we found our Billy Donovan.

Good to see that you don't pay much attention ...

Let's start with Roy Williams ... North Carolina --> Kansas

Let's start with Tom Izzo ... promoted from the bench at Michigan St

Chris Collins is well on his way ...

It's fair to say it's more common in football because the number of quality jobs differ significantly.

In basketball, it typically doesn't happen this way given the number of conferences in place and the general acceptance that after paying your dues on a big staff you go to a smaller conference where you have a 2-4 year run where you dominate your smaller conference and prove that you're a big fish in a small pond.

But to draw a conclusion that for a coach to be good they have to have paid their dues at some smaller school isn't accurate either.
    Now you're just being a bitter bitch because of some light hearted ribbing over your dooginess. I was thinking more recent, but still. Collins has had one good season. I can think of many more assistants who failed. There are quite a few Dukies before Collins that failed. Like you kind of mentioned, most of the time they go to a mid major to earn their stripes and get an initial p-5 job.

I didn't draw any conclusion. I just don't love hiring the assistant, even a highly respected one like Hopkins. I don't hate it either. Just commenting on a hoops message board about the new hire.
    Not being a bitter bitch ... just pointing out that probably 2 of the top 5 to 10 college coaches went the major assistant to P5 job and have been highly successful.

Give me a list of coaching candidates and I'll give my thoughts on them ... if Hopkins was on the list I probably would have listed him about middle of the road.

This is the definite LIPO hire ...

It's also not the kind of hire that will immediately get me to buy season tickets for hoops.
  • Options
    2001400ex2001400ex Member Posts: 29,457
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes

Tequilla said:

From what I've read the USC situation was hit or miss as he was interested in the job but Syracuse made a run to the Final Four and that pushed them to make the decision to take on Enfield versus the potential that Hopkins wasn't going to take the job ... apparently SC also didn't feel like he was ready to leave Syracuse.

I've heard nothing on Oregon State other than what you're saying @Gladstone ...

The USC/UW jobs would be more consistent with what he's publicly stated on the types of jobs that he'd be willing to take

http://www.oregonlive.com/beavers/index.ssf/2014/05/montana_coach_wayne_tinkle_syr.html#incart_river_default

Beat out by Tinkle, but let's Doog it up

"Montana coach Wayne Tinkle, Syracuse assistant Mike Hopkins finalists for Oregon State Beavers' head coaching job"
    Is that like judging recruits by their offers rather then their actual body of work?
  • Options
    GladstoneGladstone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 16,417
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club

Here we go with this "learning on the job" rhetoric. You guys really overestimate what these guys do. Learn what on the job? What exactly are you so scared a guy that's been an assistant for two decades won't know how to do?

I don't know anything about the success rates of hiring assistants or proven head coaches in college basketball. It definitely seems like generally guys do work their way up more so than in college football. But this guy is either a good coach or not, he's not going to struggle because of this made up learning concern you all get stuck on.

Yeah no.

There is a significant difference between being an individual contributor who, say, focuses on the frontcourt vs the responsibilities of a head coach. This post got a ton of chins. Am I taking crazy pills?
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Gladstone said:

Here we go with this "learning on the job" rhetoric. You guys really overestimate what these guys do. Learn what on the job? What exactly are you so scared a guy that's been an assistant for two decades won't know how to do?

I don't know anything about the success rates of hiring assistants or proven head coaches in college basketball. It definitely seems like generally guys do work their way up more so than in college football. But this guy is either a good coach or not, he's not going to struggle because of this made up learning concern you all get stuck on.

Yeah no.

There is a significant difference between being an individual contributor who, say, focuses on the frontcourt vs the responsibilities of a head coach. This post got a ton of chins. Am I taking crazy pills?
    The chins are because the "learning on the job" thing is mostly bullshit. If he sucks, he's not going to be better for somebody else 5 years from now because he "learned on the job" at UW. He's still going to suck.

The list of coaches who made any massive development in their skills from their first job to the end of their career is short. The people who do are usually the ones who are great from the beginning (i.e. year 3 or before), then the world catches up to them and they have to adjust to become great again.

It's very rare that a coach goes from bad to good. Ergo they don't "learn on the job". They either have it or they don't.

Hopkins might have it. He might not. But there's not a lot he's going to be learning on the job. He either knows it or he doesn't.
  • Options
    ThomasFremontThomasFremont Member Posts: 13,325
    Doogs already love the hire, even though they had never heard of the guy before the announcement. CHRIST.

Who does this describe...?

No prior head coaching experience

Former boss and media raves about him being a great coach

Rumored to be a great recruiter

Assistant to a legendary coach at a powerhouse program

???

• Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,872

Doogs already love the hire, even though they had never heard of the guy before the announcement. CHRIST.

???

Bob Hopkins would have been a more exciting selection.

And he dead.

• Options
    whuggywhuggy Member Posts: 2,088
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment

???

And yet again you don't get it.
    Least you are consistent. I don't love
    it or hate it. Only saying LIPO. Saying
    the hire sucks before a ball has even
    been rolled out is just echo chamber
    thinking.
  • Options
    TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary

???

Congratulations on being the 81st poster to compare Hopkins to Sark.
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614

???

To UW fans every single coach is either Don James, Sark, Ty, or Neu.
    Or Ernie Kent
  • Options
    GladstoneGladstone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 16,417
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    whuggy said:

???

thinking.
    We can LIPO while still saying the hire sucks.
  • Options
    NeGgaPlEaSeNeGgaPlEaSe Member Posts: 5,729
    edited March 2017
    Gladstone said:

whuggy said:

???

thinking.
    We can LIPO while still saying the hire sucks.
    Doogs don't get it. He sucks until he doesn't, 22 wins and Tournament apprearance or GTFO, and LIPO. Has he offered Porter co assistant HC job and pics of Jens Tits yet?
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,430
    Swaye's Wigwam

???

And he dead.

Bob Hopkins brought Slick Watts to Seattle and then did so bad as coach that he got fired and Lenny Wilkens came in and went to two straight Finals
  • Options
    SaracenSaracen Member Posts: 269
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Answer

???

And he dead.

Bob Hopkins brought Slick Watts to Seattle and then did so bad as coach that he got fired and Lenny Wilkens came in and went to two straight Finals
    Yeah but how is that a less exciting hire than Hopkins?
  • Options
    ThomasFremontThomasFremont Member Posts: 13,325

???

Naw, I was FIRST!!1!