Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Mike Hopkins?

Comments

• Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    dnc said:

He's not Altman as some have laid out, he's not Sark either. He's not sizzle he's steak, just not sure yet if he's sirloin tips or filet. He's had multiple real programs who wanted him as their coach. I don't love it, but it's better then most of the names we've seen thrown out.

I'm in LIPO but I'm cautiously optimistic.

Exactly ...

It's why given most of the names on the list I was so vocal about shooting at the top end of the list because so many of those names lack in one way or another to think that they'd be a good to great hire.

With Hopkins there are at least aspects of his resume that suggests that he COULD be a good one.

And anybody that thinks that this is another Sark situation isn't paying any attention ... Sark parlayed some free pub with opportunity to take a job before he was ready. Hopkins has done all the work necessary to be (over) qualified to take on a job ... there's something to be said about being picky about the opportunities that one would take.
  • Options
    GladstoneGladstone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 16,417
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    edited March 2017
    Tequilla said:

dnc said:

He's not Altman as some have laid out, he's not Sark either. He's not sizzle he's steak, just not sure yet if he's sirloin tips or filet. He's had multiple real programs who wanted him as their coach. I don't love it, but it's better then most of the names we've seen thrown out.

Exactly ...

It's why given most of the names on the list I was so vocal about shooting at the top end of the list because so many of those names lack in one way or another to think that they'd be a good to great hire.

With Hopkins there are at least aspects of his resume that suggests that he COULD be a good one.

And anybody that thinks that this is another Sark situation isn't paying any attention ... Sark parlayed some free pub with opportunity to take a job before he was ready. Hopkins has done all the work necessary to be (over) qualified to take on a job ... there's something to be said about being picky about the opportunities that one would take.
    He isn't being picky. He lobbied hard and interviewed for the USC and Oregon State (lol) jobs and was shot down both times.
    dnc said:

Syracuse plays defense and isn't afraid to get their hands dirty in recruiting, that's promising

That's Jim Boeheim. We're talking about Mike Hopkins. No one knows.
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Gladstone said:

Tequilla said:

dnc said:

Exactly ...

He isn't being picky. He lobbied hard and interviewed for the USC and Oregon State (lol) jobs and was shot down both times.
    dnc said:

Syracuse plays defense and isn't afraid to get their hands dirty in recruiting, that's promising

That's Jim Boeheim. We're talking about Mike Hopkins. No one knows.
    That's why I said promising. I understand there aren't guarantees, but he's more likely to lean Boeheim's way than not.

Where are you getting he lobbied hard for those jerbs and didn't get them? I had read otherwise, but I'm not confident that my info is better than yours here.
  • Options
    From what I've read the USC situation was hit or miss as he was interested in the job but Syracuse made a run to the Final Four and that pushed them to make the decision to take on Enfield versus the potential that Hopkins wasn't going to take the job ... apparently SC also didn't feel like he was ready to leave Syracuse.

I've heard nothing on Oregon State other than what you're saying @Gladstone ...

The USC/UW jobs would be more consistent with what he's publicly stated on the types of jobs that he'd be willing to take
  • Options
    NeGgaPlEaSeNeGgaPlEaSe Member Posts: 5,729
    edited March 2017
    Tequilla said:

From what I've read the USC situation was hit or miss as he was interested in the job but Syracuse made a run to the Final Four and that pushed them to make the decision to take on Enfield versus the potential that Hopkins wasn't going to take the job ... apparently SC also didn't feel like he was ready to leave Syracuse.

The USC/UW jobs would be more consistent with what he's publicly stated on the types of jobs that he'd be willing to take

http://www.oregonlive.com/beavers/index.ssf/2014/05/montana_coach_wayne_tinkle_syr.html#incart_river_default

Beat out by Tinkle, but let's Doog it up

"Montana coach Wayne Tinkle, Syracuse assistant Mike Hopkins finalists for Oregon State Beavers' head coaching job"
  • Options
    theknowledgetheknowledge Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,573
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam

There are things to be optimistic about but it's a little disheartening to hire an assistant. I can't recall any former assistant getting a P-5 job and becoming great.

That said I kind of figured UW would hire a younger, up and coming coach. Maybe we found our Billy Donovan.

I was thinking the same thing in regards to assistants and P5 jobs. Usually there is a mid-major in there somewhere. Chris Collins is the only one I can think of. I believe he went straight from coach K to Northwestern. We could do worse if he ends up like Collins.
  • Options

There are things to be optimistic about but it's a little disheartening to hire an assistant. I can't recall any former assistant getting a P-5 job and becoming great.

That said I kind of figured UW would hire a younger, up and coming coach. Maybe we found our Billy Donovan.

Good to see that you don't pay much attention ...

Let's start with Roy Williams ... North Carolina --> Kansas

Let's start with Tom Izzo ... promoted from the bench at Michigan St

Chris Collins is well on his way ...

It's fair to say it's more common in football because the number of quality jobs differ significantly.

In basketball, it typically doesn't happen this way given the number of conferences in place and the general acceptance that after paying your dues on a big staff you go to a smaller conference where you have a 2-4 year run where you dominate your smaller conference and prove that you're a big fish in a small pond.

But to draw a conclusion that for a coach to be good they have to have paid their dues at some smaller school isn't accurate either.
  • Options
    edited March 2017

Here we go with this "learning on the job" rhetoric. You guys really overestimate what these guys do. Learn what on the job? What exactly are you so scared a guy that's been an assistant for two decades won't know how to do?

I don't know anything about the success rates of hiring assistants or proven head coaches in college basketball. It definitely seems like generally guys do work their way up more so than in college football. But this guy is either a good coach or not, he's not going to struggle because of this made up learning concern you all get stuck on.

Oddly the last time "we" termed it was regarding Sark. And the last time I checked he was a pretty sought after assistant coach
  • Options

Tequilla said:

http://www.oregonlive.com/beavers/index.ssf/2014/05/montana_coach_wayne_tinkle_syr.html#incart_river_default

"Montana coach Wayne Tinkle, Syracuse assistant Mike Hopkins finalists for Oregon State Beavers' head coaching job"
    Until we know what Hopkins is set to earn for his salary it's hard to determine whether Tinkle beat him out or if it was a budget decision as Tinkle signed a 6 year $6.6M contract upon taking the Oregon State job.

If the $$$ is similar than you can conclude that Tinkle beat out Hopkins.
  • Options
    Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

Until we know what Hopkins is set to earn for his salary it's hard to determine whether Tinkle beat him out or if it was a budget decision as Tinkle signed a 6 year $6.6M contract upon taking the Oregon State job.

If the $$$ is similar than you can conclude that Tinkle beat out Hopkins.
    That MBA logistics, I'm more on the digital side, O 1
    Yes he got the job, no he didn't get the job
  • Options
    AlCzervikAlCzervik Member Posts: 1,774
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Answer

Here we go with this "learning on the job" rhetoric. You guys really overestimate what these guys do. Learn what on the job? What exactly are you so scared a guy that's been an assistant for two decades won't know how to do?

I don't know anything about the success rates of hiring assistants or proven head coaches in college basketball. It definitely seems like generally guys do work their way up more so than in college football. But this guy is either a good coach or not, he's not going to struggle because of this made up learning concern you all get stuck on.

Oddly the last time "we" termed it was regarding Sark. And the last time I checked he was a pretty sought after assistant coach
    Sark didn't have 20 years of experience.
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited March 2017
    Tequilla said:

Good to see that you don't pay much attention ...

Let's start with Roy Williams ... North Carolina --> Kansas

Let's start with Tom Izzo ... promoted from the bench at Michigan St

Chris Collins is well on his way ...

It's fair to say it's more common in football because the number of quality jobs differ significantly.

In basketball, it typically doesn't happen this way given the number of conferences in place and the general acceptance that after paying your dues on a big staff you go to a smaller conference where you have a 2-4 year run where you dominate your smaller conference and prove that you're a big fish in a small pond.

But to draw a conclusion that for a coach to be good they have to have paid their dues at some smaller school isn't accurate either.
    Now you're just being a bitter bitch because of some light hearted ribbing over your dooginess. I was thinking more recent, but still. Collins has had one good season. I can think of many more assistants who failed. There are quite a few Dukies before Collins that failed. Like you kind of mentioned, most of the time they go to a mid major to earn their stripes and get an initial p-5 job.

I didn't draw any conclusion. I just don't love hiring the assistant, even a highly respected one like Hopkins. I don't hate it either. Just commenting on a hoops message board about the new hire.
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    AlCzervik said:

Sark didn't have 20 years of experience.
    But still rolled out of bed drunk to coach for a National Championship contender in college and NFL Super Bowl Team in the same fucking year.
    I'm in the LIPO mode, but you guys seriously need to stop doogin so hard. UW hired and paid this coach to learn on the job. Obviously 20 years of experience didn't mean shit to USC and Oregon State.