Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

All Time Power Rankings

BiggusDickusBiggusDickus Member Posts: 553
edited October 2013 in Hardcore Husky Board
Some guy ("DoogPassion206") created this product and has been posting it at Doogman. It's somewhat reality-based, and I thought it would be worth discussing here:
What Is It?
It’s an evaluation of all current FBS programs from 1946 to the present. The result was a series of graphs (which look vaguely familiar to my signature and the Pac-12 schedule posters which I’ve distributed to a number of you guys) that show the ebbs and flows that all 125 programs have experienced over these 67 years (obviously for some, the ebs and flows are more violent than others). I then calculated three separate average ranks in order to get them ordered properly from #1 (Ohio State) to #125 (Georgia State, who is playing their first year of FBS football this year). The three separate ranks are first, a simple avg SRS rank since 1946 (so each year is weighted equally), second a modestly weighted system (2012 = 1.00, 1946 = 0.34) and third a progressively weighted system, where recent years are worth significantly more than those of the 40s and 50s (2012 = 67, 1946 = 1).

Why use SRS?
Because things like W-L records don’t offer a nice apples to apples comparison of programs (conference strength) and things like the AP Poll (aside from being more flawed and less predictive than SRS) only offer an evaluation of a small sliver of the CFB landscape, when I wanted to evaluate the entire landscape (which means the unexciting act of differentiating between mediocre and lower-mediocre, and lower-mediocre and bad). Using a metric like this might be offensive to some Husky fans, as we are probably a more successful program from the trophy case perspective than we are from an overall consistent quality perspective. Some of our conference rivals will appear a little closer to us than we’d like to think they are, but I don’t have a problem with that because I do think things like SRS are a better way to assess overall program quality than a trophy case that can be based on somewhat arbitrary accomplishments (like Florida State beating Northern Illinois in 2012 in a “major bowl”). SRS cuts through all that bullcrap and noise and does a great job of assessing overall program quality, I firmly believe that.

Why start at 1946?
Because unless you want to be evaluating teams based on four game schedules and against opponents that have been long wiped off the map, you have to start somewhere. WWII was a cataclysmic world event that saw several major programs take complete seasons off (such as UW in 1943) and saw dozens of smaller football programs not last through the war. In the past, I’ve used 1960 as a starting point, but that was admittedly arbitrary. Picking a number because it is divisible by 10 is arbitrary, picking one that really is representative of a new era immediately after a major world event is less arbitrary.

The Graphs
In my opinion, the most progressive weighting model is the best. It doesn’t completely ignore what happened way back in the 1940s, 1950s and 1960s but it weights those years at only a small fraction of the present day. Each passing year sees its weight increase by 1, so 1946 = 1, 1947 = 2, 1948 = 3, and so on until 2012 = 67. For us Dawg fans, 1991 is weighted 46.

Comments

• IrishDawg22IrishDawg22 Member Posts: 2,754

Some guy ("DoogPassion206") created this product and has been posting it at Doogman. It's somewhat reality-based, and I thought it would be worth discussing here:

What Is It?
    It’s an evaluation of all current FBS programs from 1946 to the present. The result was a series of graphs (which look vaguely familiar to my signature and the Pac-12 schedule posters which I’ve distributed to a number of you guys) that show the ebbs and flows that all 125 programs have experienced over these 67 years (obviously for some, the ebs and flows are more violent than others). I then calculated three separate average ranks in order to get them ordered properly from #1 (Ohio State) to #125 (Georgia State, who is playing their first year of FBS football this year). The three separate ranks are first, a simple avg SRS rank since 1946 (so each year is weighted equally), second a modestly weighted system (2012 = 1.00, 1946 = 0.34) and third a progressively weighted system, where recent years are worth significantly more than those of the 40s and 50s (2012 = 67, 1946 = 1).

Why use SRS?
    Because things like W-L records don’t offer a nice apples to apples comparison of programs (conference strength) and things like the AP Poll (aside from being more flawed and less predictive than SRS) only offer an evaluation of a small sliver of the CFB landscape, when I wanted to evaluate the entire landscape (which means the unexciting act of differentiating between mediocre and lower-mediocre, and lower-mediocre and bad). Using a metric like this might be offensive to some Husky fans, as we are probably a more successful program from the trophy case perspective than we are from an overall consistent quality perspective. Some of our conference rivals will appear a little closer to us than we’d like to think they are, but I don’t have a problem with that because I do think things like SRS are a better way to assess overall program quality than a trophy case that can be based on somewhat arbitrary accomplishments (like Florida State beating Northern Illinois in 2012 in a “major bowl”). SRS cuts through all that bullcrap and noise and does a great job of assessing overall program quality, I firmly believe that.

Why start at 1946?
    Because unless you want to be evaluating teams based on four game schedules and against opponents that have been long wiped off the map, you have to start somewhere. WWII was a cataclysmic world event that saw several major programs take complete seasons off (such as UW in 1943) and saw dozens of smaller football programs not last through the war. In the past, I’ve used 1960 as a starting point, but that was admittedly arbitrary. Picking a number because it is divisible by 10 is arbitrary, picking one that really is representative of a new era immediately after a major world event is less arbitrary.

The Graphs
    In my opinion, the most progressive weighting model is the best. It doesn’t completely ignore what happened way back in the 1940s, 1950s and 1960s but it weights those years at only a small fraction of the present day. Each passing year sees its weight increase by 1, so 1946 = 1, 1947 = 2, 1948 = 3, and so on until 2012 = 67. For us Dawg fans, 1991 is weighted 46.

• IrishDawg22IrishDawg22 Member Posts: 2,754
    edited October 2013
  • PurpleJPurpleJ Member Posts: 37,121 Founders Club
    What have you done for me lately?
  • Shit. Oregon is really fucking close all time. Doog heads are exploding around King County.
  • Haid_D_SalaamiHaid_D_Salaami Member Posts: 541
    He lost me at

"Because things like W-L records don’t offer a nice apples to apples comparison of programs"

I like to dig back to the days of leather helmet to make me feel better about my program.....
  • dncdnc Member Posts: 56,652
    DawgPassion's research is legit. He's not much of a doog. I actually think he might be here.
  • DucksruleDucksrule Member Posts: 98
    Stop it. Do you know how hard it is to take a bong hit while humming the theme song from "The Way We Were"?
  • Mad_SonMad_Son Member Posts: 10,174
    DP206 is a good poster.
  • I actually like it. It shows that UW has underachieved the past decade. We don't expect them to be top 10 every year but this graph shows what we are capable of.

It shows that UW should be a top 20 program for a decade with 2-3 top 10 seasons.
  • BiggusDickusBiggusDickus Member Posts: 553
    He lost me at

"Because things like W-L records don’t offer a nice apples to apples comparison of programs"
    I think that was inartfully worded on his part. His method seems to weight conference W-L, which makes more sense (especially in the modern era when everyone is playing cupcakes) than overall W-L.

Yeah, this guy isn't much of a Doog. I liked his post, which is why I thought it should be over here with people who can actually interpret data without using their vaginemotions.
  • greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,333

He lost me at

I like to dig back to the days of leather helmet to make me feel better about my program.....

You mean Doogs can't pimp the 58-43 card? That's blasphemy!!!
  • creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 23,070

DP206 is a good friend of mine.

His other power rankings (based on NC, major bowl wins, conference titles) have us 16th though I think we should be 14th. He gives Tennessee and Georgia a bump bc of the SEC.

These rankings I think are based on SRS ratings which he swears by. He constantly points out that SRS shows the 2009-2012 teams were no better than 2006-2007 teams.

The SRS ratings rate the UW 1991 team as the 2nd best team of all-time.

which team is best all time?
    edited October 2013
    Somewhere near Renton the poster formerly known as Royotis is gasping his last breath as he sees my beloved Hurricanes in the top 5. :) Fuck you Roy. You always were a stupid bitch. But we'll always have 1991 Miami / Washington.

Much as it pains me to concede, the Florida State run of 14 consecutive years finishing in the top 5, along with the other accomplishments that went with it, is the single most impressive feat to me. A model of high level consistency. But for a bunch of fucking missed field goals, they'd have 2 or 3 MNCs to go with it. I'll also always maintain that the V tech team they beat in 99 for the title was itself a very good fucking team. Nobody remembers them because they lost, but they had a fast and ferocious D and were lights out on offense with Vick. People discount that title for FSU because they beat V Tech to get it, but those people walk around with their dicks in their mouths.
    Oh, and on methodology, fuck WWII. The line of demarcation should be when the game was integrated.

DO you really want me to give a shit what a program was doing before that segment of the population, which some say added a little athleticism to the game (I know right?), were allowed to play? Give me a fucking break. Next you'll be asking to discuss some ass kicking Washington gave UPS back in 1934. I don't fucking care and neither does anyone else outside of doogdom.

• SoutherndawgSoutherndawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,293 Founders Club

Somewhere near Renton the poster formerly known as Royotis is gasping his last breath as he sees my beloved Hurricanes in the top 5. :) Fuck you Roy. You always were a stupid bitch. But we'll always have 1991 Miami / Washington.

Much as it pains me to concede, the Florida State run of 14 consecutive years finishing in the top 5, along with the other accomplishments that went with it, is the single most impressive feat to me. A model of high level consistency. But for a bunch of fucking missed field goals, they'd have 2 or 3 MNCs to go with it. I'll also always maintain that the V tech team they beat in 99 for the title was itself a very good fucking team. Nobody remembers them because they lost, but they had a fast and ferocious D and were lights out on offense with Vick. People discount that title for FSU because they beat V Tech to get it, but those people walk around with their dicks in their mouths.

FSU in its hey day was among the all time great programs. Fantastic talent on the field and on the sidelines. Very fun to watch.
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 105,128 Founders Club

Oh, and on methodology, fuck WWII. The line of demarcation should be when the game was integrated.

DO you really want me to give a shit what a program was doing before that segment of the population, which some say added a little athleticism to the game (I know right?), were allowed to play? Give me a fucking break. Next you'll be asking to discuss some ass kicking Washington gave UPS back in 1934. I don't fucking care and neither does anyone else outside of doogdom.

The game was integrated on the coast and the Big 14 in the 30s. Jesse Owen played football at UCLA. The Big 14 took a lot of guysthe sec plays today. Integrated but there were quotas
  • AZDuckAZDuck Member Posts: 15,381
    Yep. The mangled body of Jack Trice says "hello" from 1923.

The game was integrated on the coast and the Big 14 in the 30s. Jesse Owen played football at UCLA. The Big 14 took a lot of guysthe sec plays today. Integrated but there were quotas
  • HeretoBeatmyChestHeretoBeatmyChest Member Posts: 4,295

DP206 is a good friend of mine.

His other power rankings (based on NC, major bowl wins, conference titles) have us 16th though I think we should be 14th. He gives Tennessee and Georgia a bump bc of the SEC.

These rankings I think are based on SRS ratings which he swears by. He constantly points out that SRS shows the 2009-2012 teams were no better than 2006-2007 teams.

The SRS ratings rate the UW 1991 team as the 2nd best team of all-time.

which team is best all time?
    Nebraska 1995.